Agnostic.com

50 5

Is there intelligent life out there in the universe?

As a science fiction author I like to dream about possibilities that we have yet to discover. One of those is the possibility for intelligent life in the universe beyond our planet. Curious what others think about the subject.

ChrisJones 6 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sometimes I wonder if there is intelligent life on this planet .

I'm beginning to wonder if there is intelligent life down here.

8247B Level 4 Apr 3, 2018

Yes And you can tell because they don't visit here.

BillF Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

That’s funny! But there may very well be truth in that.

Ha , That's a new 'twist' to it I haven't seen before

I think, given the vastness of the univerese, that it is highly likely, if not downright inevitable, that there is other intelligent life. And, also given the vastness of the universe, it is highly unlikely that we will ever make contact with other life forms. However, this does not mean that we will not find evidence of some sort of life, either past or present, on other planets, asteroids, or moons. I think this will happen; and I hope it happens in my lifetime.

If there is anything close to human form out there they are so advanced they would see us as a primitive society.

I think we are a primitive society.

I think it's incredibly arrogant to believe we're the only "intelligent" life out there.

I'm a strong believer in the Drake equation.
Given a nearly infinite number of stars, it's almost inevitable.

JimG Level 8 Apr 3, 2018

I hope so. We could use the help.

There are so many stars with planets that I think statistically there may be life out there in space.

As the quote goes, if there isn't, it seems like an awful waste of space.

Yeah, I keep that quote in the back of my mind every time I imagine life out there.

Monty Python summed up my thoughts on the matter better than I could myself...

Jnei Level 8 Apr 3, 2018

We still haven't found any on earth !! Lol seriously though I hope there is

I had that same thought LOL

I keep having that thought.

Given how absurdly big the universe is, how can there not be?

I’ll start speculating on intelligent life out there once it’s discovered on Earth somewhere.

Don't be unkind to your fellow posters!

@CeliaVL I’m including myself in that statement, so we are on equal footing.

Could be, but haven't heard of any. Finding intelligent life on earth is problematic enough for me.

ha ha ha ha lol

Well, its a big place out there.... If there is and they are even a few light years away then we will never get to them or the other way around, so we will never know....unless we find a work around the speed of light restriction imposed by mother nature. Its a fascinating topic to dwell upon, no doubt about it

I hope so.

I think there must be

I believe that there is very intelligent life out there. It is a matter of time. Because we are here ans ask that question, it would be quite smug on our part to think we are the only intelligence in this vast Universe. We do not have the technology and the science to do extensive travelling as the distances are ridiculously large. In our current state, it could be suicidal to even think we can deal with alien intelligences. The Kepler mission to find extra-solar planets has been quite a success finding thousands of planets. Just in our galaxy alone there are appoximately 400 million suns. They all have planets and if just a small percentage can support life as we know it, the amount of life in the galaxy would be immense. One day we will get a surprise and hope it is not like when the Spaniards met the Inca empire and we are the Incas.

We'd be arrogant & ignorant to think there's not. I'm sure there's MUCH better than us out there. I'm sure WE horrify them with our greed, ignorance, viciousness & hate.

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Yep! Probably a lot of them dwarf our intelligence.

There might be intelligent life in the universe, but we haven't found it yet.

Yes - its a logical assumption that since life started here, there must be more life out there. The problem lies in the distance - they may be so far from us we couldnt get there in thousands of years.
However - we might have been visited by alien life - id love to see proof of that.

gater Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Just from the numbers, it is a mathamatical certainty. However, unless the speed of light barrior is somehow over-come, we will not ever be visited by them or we, them. The closest star is only 10 or so light years away. At conventional rocket speed, it would take over 80,000 years to get there.

I hope so. It would give me hope for this planet. Of course they could be just as self-serving, ignorant, and self destructive as we are.

The universe is vast

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.