Agnostic.com

14 12

So, i have self-isolated since March 10, venturing out only 3 times to get groceries, masked & gloved. I am at the "right" end of Connecticut, far away from NYC, and felt safer because of it. Yesterday i find out 3 people on my really little dead end street have/had COVID! A 50-ish couple just 2 doors down have had it & recovered, in late March. A woman from the other end of the street who walks past 2-3 times a day with her dog has just been hospitalized. Too close for comfort?

AnneWimsey 9 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You stay safe, I do not want to hear that you have been sick. Good health to you! and All!

My fear too!!! Ny State just had a flare up at a vegetable farm - this is not going away no matter what this POS POTUS says or does!!!!! People are still getting sick and dying. Too risky for me to go back to work as much as I want to. This country dropping social distancing is wrong at this time!!!!

That is closer than I’ve seen

Keep it that way!

As long as you had no contact with the dog walking neighbor in the past 2 weeks, you should be fine..

Standing with the dog in my driveway when I came home with groceries, just standing there blocking me, even with my blinker on...I had to open the window to tell her to move......
She is famous for doing that.

Too close... I found out a few days ago our first death happened in my town. We turned up with people testing positive about two weeks ago in this county so once it hit I guess it spread pretty quick here too. I've also only gone out for groceries. Our stores are trying to be smart about all this, putting up dividers and marking up the checkouts in accordance to the distancing rules all right before or just as the announcements were publicly made to do so. I have allergy and asthma issues so this thing is terrifying to me. My family has a long history of diabetes and heart disease as well so that does not make this any less terrifying.

AmyLF Level 7 May 6, 2020

Having pre-existing conditions I sympathize with you. Stay safe. I'm in New York state.

@sassygirl3869 Yikes. You stay safe too.

The majority of people who get Covid19 recover, a large number never realise they even had it. We really have to get some perspective on this pandemic. Whilst saying that, we have to take sensible precautions to avoid catching it because we could just be one of the minority who get seriously ill with it.

The problem is this thing spreads easy and we really don't know what the indicator is that makes it deadly to some and not so much to others. Add to that those who don't even know they have it are very capable to spread it to those who might just succumb. Add to that some people have died who didn't have preexisting conditions. My perspective is that this is like playing russian roulette and I honestly am not interested in participating or forcing anyone else to play by mengling if at all possible.

@AmyLF As I already pointed out we must take sensible precautions to avoid catching it. I assumed anyone reading that would understand I meant social distancing and taking all precautions to avoid either spreading or catching the virus if at all possible. Until we are all tested and know who has and has not had this virus we can’t say with any degree of certainty whether we’ve been affected or not. I had a heart attack 2 or 3 weeks ago and was admitted to hospital where I was tested..so I actually know that I tested negative, but that could change if I mingled, so I will not be doing so. My son and family think they have all had It, but weeks ago, and were barely Ill at all, so what they need to know is whether they actually had it, and if that means they are immune to catching it again. We really need much more testing...in fact we need to test entire populations in every country.

@Marionville Absolutely agreed. Unfortunately right now there is enough misinformation out there that perspective is hard to determine and "sensible precautions" seem different from person to person. I really didn't mean to seem argumentative about it or seem as if I assumed the wrong idea of it.

@OwlInASack Yes...they did an angioplasty and inserted 2 stents. I’m recovering slowly, thank you,

Apparently it is mutating as we speak...remember "children don't get it" just 3 weeks ago? Those days are Over.....

The 50-ish very health conscious & fit neighbors sure knew they had it..."sick as a dog" & "worst I have ever felt" were their comments.

@AnneWimsey Yes...but others don’t feel very ill at all, perhaps don’t even know they have it...the most dangerous for passing it on!

@Marionville I had a blood clot in my lungs 5 years ago and have chronic heart disease so that added to my leukemia background scares the hell out of me and my doctors.

@sassygirl3869 I trust you’re keeping well now.

@Marionville Yes thanks take heart meds every day and just had a good check up.

I know six people who've had it (all recovered, one with three week hospital stay) and one friend who's mother in-law died of it. It's only going to get worse as time passes and being remote will be no protection. It may take longer to reach you but eventually you and your neighbors will be at risk every time you go out - until such time as an effective vaccine is widely available.

I will be very surprised if we have fewer than 500k victims before that happens. I wish my gut feeling well be wrong but I'm not going to put it to chance myself.

I was just talking with a younger, healthier friend today, and she's suddenly terrified of the virus. She's convinced that if she, or her parents, or her sister catch COVID they will all die.

Yikes, Anne... lock the doors and turn off the lights! Actually, that IS a little scary. Where did they get it? Sty the f home!

I am currently taking care of an 82 year old stroke survivor. She doesn't wear a mask and doesn't want me to while working. I guess we both may have a secret death wish?
I am not sure about others, but I tried to wear a mask in the grocery store and nearly passed out from lack of oxygen. I guess I need to take this more serious and purchase some kind of mask that I can breath in. Big investment. We are in strange times for sure.

Larger masks are much easier to breathe in. I made myself some that rest on the bridge of my nose, but hang straight down from there. I tuck the excess into my collar. The cloth goes all the way around my head, too, to fasten with Velcro in the back.

Sure, I look like a ninja, but I'm safe AND I can breathe.

The first mask I made, in couldn't breath either. Overkill! Look how thin PPE masks are, it is the fineness of the weave that screens droplets...use high-count sheeting, try doubling it & see if you can still breath...one pillowcase should make about 6 masks if doubling it. Internet is full of no-sew versions using ponytail "elastic"

@AnneWimsey -a former Agnostic member, ArtzyNerd made me a mask as well as hundreds for first responders. Awesome to do!!!!

Stay safe. 🙂🙂

Sounds like you are staying as safe as you can. If you are staying in amd masking when you’re out with keeping a safe distance, you should be OK.

Yup be very careful

Good thing you are practicing the "safer at home" suggestions. I would think that those who have had it and recovered won't be expelling the virus, but we don't know that for sure, and those who walk their dog by your home pre-confirmed with the virus are likely leaving a small cloud of droplets as they walk, especially if they "talk" to their dog in the process.

Social distancing is still a good idea until we know more. I wouldn't trust anyone within 10 feet of me not to be carrying something, so I hold my breath in passing. Not kidding.

Better safe than sorry!

Some people have been turning up with it again so it would be a lot better to play it safe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:492957
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.