Agnostic.com

11 9

Today's hike: Can bicyclists share the trail with hikers?

Today Karen and I hiked in the Cascade Mountain foothills just south of Wenatchee, WA where we live. It was glorious! Hills were carpeted with yellow, red and blue wildflowers.

We did a big loop totaling eight miles with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain. This time, I packed more food. We ate small two meals at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. This gave us energy for a longer hike.

Suddenly mountain bikers swooped down upon us. The were completely silent. We madly scrambled off the trail. From above, they can see us. They need to warn us of their approach. Whatever happened to common courtesy? This is about safety.

Karen carried a small rake. She raked rocks, branches and large pine cones off the trail that could jar a front tire sideways and crash the bicyclist. Raking slowed her down. "For once, I'm faster than you," I joked.

While hiking, Karen and I clear trails of litter, rocks and branches: tripping danger. It's fun to kick rocks off the trail without breaking stride.

The Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance of Washington is spending one million dollars building 30 miles of trails there. This is the second year of the three-year project. We had fun trying out new trails.

On weekends, Wenatchee trails are slammed with Seattle mountain bicyclists drawn to blue skies and sunshine. That's why Karen and I hike on weekdays.

Photos:

1. Mission Peak and yellow Balsam Root flowers.

2. Red Paintbrush flowers.

3. Yellow Balsam Root was sacred to the Wenatchii Indians. They boiled and ate the roots.

4. Enchantments (8,000 feet) and Mt. Stuart (9,416 feet).

LiterateHiker 9 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why can't we all just get along? When did common courtesy become so uncommon?
I love the outdoors, grew up with woodcraft and an appreciation of nature as a 9th generation Canadian, I loved hiking as a Boy Scout and later in life as a Boy Scout Leader but one constant has been the divisions amongst those who love nature. We really need to work together against the forces that are striving to destroy nature and promote an appreciation of nature among the general public, it's the only way people will care enough about nature to want to protect it for future generations.
There are always going to be discourteous jerks in this world, be they on foot, cycling, on powered back country vehicles, skis and snowshoes; it's not the mode of travel but the mindset. Usually that mindset is that I am the one most entitled to enjoy this experience and the others need to give way and let me have the maximum experience.
I own an electric bike company and have all sorts of run ins with conventional cyclists who feel that electric bikes are an abomination; I try to explain to these people that electric bikes are bringing people back to the sport who will support more bike lanes, sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't. I have had dog walkers block cycling paths because they don't like cyclists, the only reason the path is there in the first place is because of the lobbying by cyclists.
I ring the bell and slow down when approaching pedestrians or slower moving cyclists, it's just common courtesy but some people seem to have been raised in a barn by a pack of weasels, they yell obscenities and declare their special entitlement. I think we have all had some sort of run in with these types of folks and if we haven't then we probably are those types of folks.
Great pics, glad you got out - share the trails and together we will be able to keep those trails open.

I am a life-long bicyclist and ride every day on a paved bike path. Just yesterday 2 dog walkers were standing in the middle of the trail talking and blocking the traffic. Usually walkers are courteous on the path. I have 7 bikes along with a new Mt E-bike. When Mt biking I always let hikers know I am coming when I see them.

@Robert_2001 Clearly you weren't raised in a barn by a pack of weasels, those dog walkers however??
My favourite annoyance are the dog walkers with some sort of ratlike creature on the end of a 25' rewinding leash that they never rewind because ratdog needs to roam around freely and get tangled up in peoples legs or perhaps their spokes.

I love your love for the outdoors! I admire your energy and endurance! Happy Saturday😊

@sandrarocks83

Thank you so much. I'm hard on myself.

With the pandemic, don't think I'm in as good of shape as usual.

I miss weightlifting and the rowing machine at the YMCA.

Love your pics as usual ,great of Karen to do some trail clearing along the way

good for you guys ,i clear stuff off trails also but may start taking a garbage bag with me for litter also ,, Crossing creeks like that on stepping stones can be quite dangerous,since they are not maintaining any thing else rebuilding bridges for every ones safety should be priority as fire fighter,paramedics etc need quick access for peoples safety

@RoyMillar

While hiking, Karen and I always clear trails of litter, branches and rocks (tripping hazards). This makes it safer while descending to the car.

People have no idea that we do this. They assume Forest Service employees clear trails. With severe funding cuts, the most they can do is chainsaw and remove fallen trees across the trail. Sometimes.

"We're not rebuilding bridges on popular trails," a Forest Service ranger told me in 2015. "We want to reduce the number of people trampling fragile alpine terrain. Instead, we let people use stepping stones to get across a creek."

HA. As if that's safe.

Photo: One crossing of Chatter Creek. On that hike, we crossed the creek in six places.

Great pics! Again!

Have the lock down restrictions been lifted then ?. Seems a bit premature considering that the USA has twice the deaths of any other country and the numbers are increasing substantially day by day.

@Moravian

In Washington State, we can hike as long as we respect social distancing. Karen and I:

1. Wear masks in the car.

2. Sit and hike at least six feet apart.

3. Don't share food.

4. Avoid groups.

5. Don't use campgrounds.

@LiterateHiker Interesting how it varies from state to state. Hope the easing of restrictions don't backfire.

@Moravian as of last week, going out hiking isnt a violation anymore. Not sure about the social distancing while on the trails

@Moravian in the state of WA. still lots of variation between states

@Burner Interesting, but judging by previous posts on this subject I don't think it will make much difference. As the restrictions are gradually lifted it is going to be very confusing particularly as you say different states have different rules.
We are going to have similar problems here as the devolved parliament/assemblies are suggesting a different approach from the Westminster govt.
Just hope it doesn't result in a spike of positive cases.

@Moravian it not so much a spike as a failure. Our cases arent declining like most pf the rest od the world.

If people are respectful there is no reason why all types can't share public community spaces that are there for all to enjoy.

Nice photos! But common courtesy is rare nowadays...

Any of the participants involved in adrenaline sports involving speed (often called extreme) tend to be self-centered, tactless, and discourteous. Whether it is mountain biking snowboarding, skiing, snow mobilizing, motocross, atv, etc. They tend to have the same personality flaws even if their clique may differ from one sport to another.

@t1nick

Good point.

Stereotyping much?

Especially so of cyclists, who have been told, ( not entirely without some truth ) that they are saving the planet. You tell people they are virtuous, a lot of them get arrogant, look at religious people.

@Cyklone

Cyclone you are correct I am stereotyping. I have been a purveyor of outdoor sports for over 60 years. I began respectfully enjoying the wilds of our land long before their was mountain biking, ATVIng, motocross on the trails.

Anecdotally, I have seen the change over the years as technology has opened up new avenues of feeding the adrenaline fix that we have come to depend upon. But with that adrenaline fix comes a change in physiology and behavior. I have engaged in a wide variety of outdoors sports from rock climbing , skiing, long distance bicycle touring, white water rafting, back packing, & hiking,.

I too have seen my times of adrenaline seeking when I was bull rider, rugby player, and worked Indy car races and super bike races. But those took place in venues artificially set up specifically to contain them and didn't involve taking my adrenaline fix to the wilds and wilderness. Yes I stereotyped, but believe me I have seen the evolution of and changes wrought by humans taking their overcharged adrenaline glands to places we revered for its beauty and solitude and peasefulness.

@t1nick I'm sorry it's like that for you. I too am a life long adrenaline junkie but every sport I've been involved in has emphasised the need for mutual respect for others and respect for the environment, especially our wilderness, with a need to preserve it so that others can enjoy the same as us. Then again, I don't live in the US

Butte, Montana is another popular destination for Mtn bikers.
At this point there seems to be an equilibrium between hikers and bikers.

Nice pics.

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. - Elizabeth Howard West

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493968
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.