Agnostic.com

48 14

Have you ever felt suicidal?

I want to live far more than I want to die and the few times in my life where I have reached the feeling of wanting to end it all, I've known that it's a temporary condition. I dealt with the pain, and it's gone away. It always eventually works its way back to normalcy. I'm in that slump right now. I feel like everything is about to implode and I'm battling to get back to normal. Do you ever feel this way?

PS. Before anyone panics, I'm never going to commit suicide. Life is short enough as it is to take my own life

paul1967 8 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes... but not my thing luckly

in the same boay currently :/

I was when I lived with my parents. Once I moved out and weathered a breakdown I developed thanatophobia somewhere along the line and now completely avoid any suicidal ideation.

Many times. I do not fear death at all but welcome it. After 20+ surgeries, mostly on my feet and lower back, in pain all day, can't work, Fed's denying my SSD....I am soooooo ready for this nightmare to end. I have traveled this world many times, did so many things...I welcome the long slumber. My energy will return back to the great collective, my body to science, then to the earth, it's all good.

@VictoriaNotes I thank you for your kind heart but please do not let your heart wrench over me, but for those whom fear death, for they truly fear life, imo. I fear nothing, I hope for nothing, I am free. Do not feel sorry for my situation, but feel for others that are not free like me.

I think to some degree it's normal to feel like ending it. When you become obsessed with it, feel useless, and begin to rationalize that it would be best for everyone; is when you desperately need to seek help.

For anyone there: [suicidepreventionlifeline.org]

JimG Level 8 Apr 3, 2018

@Bierbasstard that's a damned good idea. Hopefully nobody needs either of these resources though.

Pfft. It's almost a daily thing. Once you're dead nothing matters. I'm too lazy and uninterested ti do anything.

When I was young and my stepfather would beat the shit out of me.

In my teens I was physically and emotionally abused by my parents. Things were really bad. I left home in high school before I hurt myself.

I attempted it 3x all three times i did in fact die but was brought back e everytime

YES, but im glad it didnt work, its the people that you leave behind that suffer more. . Perhaps you could start up a disscussion group ?

I think that's a great idea, but I wouldn't want to be the one to start it. I can be careless sometimes with how I word things.

keep as cool as you can

Yes. I even attempted suicide once. That emotional wound has left an indelible mark.

I tried to kill myself often growing up. One day I stopped wanting to die. Then I once found out there is something much worse than being suicidal and that's not feeling anything at all. Somehow I've never been suicidal at all, and I want to live. I'm 10 years free of any suicidal ideation, but it's hard for me, because I know it doesn't just cure itself. It's a lifetime affliction. It will come back someday. I just try very hard to make safety measures for when it does. I have a lot of survivors guilt, I guess. When someone commits suicide it hurts and scares me a lot because I'm not stronger than them so why am I okay now?

When I get to feeling like that, I think of the things I won't be around for, ever again. The simplest of things for me is the morning sunrise. I wake up most mornings around 5 am grab my coffee and sit on the balcony. I watch the squirrels play in the tree and listen to the birds chirping off in the distance. I wait for the sun to rise and then go inside to shower and get ready for the day ahead. That simple routine has kept me from ever wanting to pull the trigger.

For those of you that said "Yes" do you speak to a professional counselor at all or consult a psychiatrist? You need to.

I can't.... well I can but I won't. I fear doctors and yes I know it's irrational but being rational doesn't make my fear go away. I force myself to get a physical every so often, but I put it off sometimes for years. Therapy is a lifelong routine for me, and I know what a therapist is going to say before they know what they're going to say.

@paul1967 if you continue to ideate suicidal thoughts there is a very high likelihood you will attempt it. So I would make an appointment and also, you may need medication.

If not by accident, massive heart attack, stroke,etc... My death will be at a time of my choice and by my hand.

Yeah, I'm with you on that, but that is entirely different because it will be when I'm suffering from great physical and unending pain.

I'm not trying to be condesending but I would seek some help for that. At least make sure that you've talked with someone professional about it. These thoughts alone are signs of depression. There is medication which can help substantially.

I truly appreciate that, but I know myself well enough to know I would never kill myself and I would never take meds to help with my mental issues. I have no problem with pills except when they psychologically alter my brain. I'm sure they are of great use to many people, but I'm not one of them. I depend on my ability to deal with my psychological issues on my own. I have an excellent network of people here like yourself willing to talk to me, and that is a huge help.

@paul1967 The best to you in your journey!

I’m suspicious of people who haven’t.

yes

I've been suicidal off and on since I was in my teens. After two/three suicide attempts I got to where I learned to deal with the feelings.

Yeah, it’s easy to get tripped up by those thoughts. I know that from ongoing personal experience. I hate to sound all cliche but I kind of think this usually holds true for me in those times "When you feel you can take no more, try giving a little". It’s not one size fits all but I’ve found it to help when depression sinks it’s claws in me.

Suicidal ideation is one of my diagnoses. It's treated at this time successfully. So yes, shit happens

I've never been diagnosed. I avoid doctors and pills. I don't know what my problem is with doctors, but anytime I see a doctor I want to crawl out of my skin and run as far away from them as I can. So I would imagine my diagnoses would include a bit of medical paranoia.

@paul1967 I am sure there is something a decent dig into yourself would be able to uncover. Mental health professionals have been keeping me somewhat sane and alive since I was 15 years old.

Most of my years growing up I felt like that. I had really bad depression as a young adult. My mom died when I was 18, and I had to grow up really fast. I had been a cutter since I was 11-years-old. I started cutting more and more when my mom passed away. I now live with my arms scarred up really bad. It's embarrassing most days to wear short-sleeved shirts. At work I have to, or I will be too hot with a long-sleeved shirt on. I finally put the knife down for good 4 years ago. I was in and out of psych wards since I was 19-28- years-old. My 2 year mark was on my birthday of this year in February. I never want to get that depressed again, that I need a hospital to keep me safe from my irrational actions. I used to be so bored in my younger years, I over-thought and then made myself depressed. I have a job now and I'm never bored. When I got bored, I got sad and depressed. I have a job for a lot of reasons. So I can stay out of the hospital, help out the community, show people I'm not useless in life, for spending money, to make me feel good about something in my life, and for the social skills. Before, I had all the wrong friends. People who didn't care about me and used me. Who kicked me when I was down. People who enabled me by giving me glass pieces to use on my arms. I don't know them anymore. I have come a long ways in 2 years. I smartened up too. Working is what is keeping me alive. That is why I am grateful for my job, and that is why I am good at it. I need it to keep me alive. I wake up every morning and know that I have responsibilities and I won't ever be a let down to anyone anymore. My aunt is so proud of me. I am too.

Yes. Those were my "dark nights of the soul". It didn't get better until I healed from the childhood and adult trauma and kept toxic people away from me and I haven't had a relapse in about 5 years now.

I've felt that way many times over the years, but usually it's temporary and more feelings of hopelessness, futility and a desire to escape the pain. Once, I did actually attempt suicide many years ago. I haven't made an attempt since then, although I still momentarily think about it fairly often. Basically, I don't want to give up the time I have left.

I understand the feelings I'm having, and I recognize that these emotions are temporary. I've never come close to attempting to killing myself but I have thought about it. I've briefly considered what it would be like and that's enough to bring me back to reality. The thought that today's sunrise would be my last sunrise. It would be the last of too many things that bring me joy. I can't give up on my life. I can only deal with the pain and move forward.

@paul1967 Death is so final, and I feel that my life and life itself is still precious. I also have enough quality of life to make it worthwhile to keep going.

Songs about death have always cheered me up.
Bo Burnham - Kill Yourself

R.A. The Rugged Man - Shoot Me in the Head (vulgarity warning)
20 More upbeat songs about death [everplans.com] I hope you swing back real soon

The first time I tried to commit suicide, I was 14. Took a bottle of pills out the medicine cabinet and downed the contents. I got sick as hell, and the "adults" present called it the stomach flu. They didn't have a clue. By the time I was 23, I'd tried 4 more times. I clearly sucked at it, and wasn't smart enough to do anything that actually worked. In the mid-80s, I learned how to be a crisis intervention counselor. Working on a crisis-hotline made me grow the hell up and gave me incredible perspective. Oh, and the years of therapy helped a little, too. It took a minute, but I realized that suicide is a permanent solution to what is usually always a temporary situation.
In my dotage, I have learned to be a lot more "zen" regarding my own life. Okay, zen is probably too generous a word. I just give zero fucks about most of the stuff which used to tie me up in knots. I quit being so bloody emotional about most things. If I can't do anything about it, I'm not going to spend much time fretting over it.

I'm that way about everything except loneliness. I can't shake that off quite the same way as I do everything else.

@paul1967 I used to get lonely AF. Once I realized that I preferred my own company to that of most people, my loneliness evaporated.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49531
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.