Agnostic.com

30 3

LINK James Dobson Warns Democrats Will ‘Enslave’ Conservative Christians | Michael Stone

Believing in the unseen, tends to make religious people irrationally fearful.

snytiger6 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So they believe in a God that will punish them and send them into eternal fire if you do not obey him and praise him. And they are worried about the Democrats.?????

That's all I'd need, a bunch of entitled whiners with no work ethic blaming their misbehavior on others with different beliefs.

There is an interesting new program on Netflix about WWII in color. On one critical island in the Pacific the Allies are fighting the Japanese who have retreated to caves in the nearby cliffs. When the allies finally manage to subdue the enemy and try and gather the civilians they find that many non-native civilians are missing. These were mostly family members of the Japanese soldiers. To their horror the allies have discovered that most of the civilian women and children and even soldiers have thrown themselves off the cliffs to their death. They were still in the process and the GI's filmed some of the heartbreaking scenes. The Japanese had spread so much propaganda about how the American soldiers would rape and torture any prisoners they actually believed this and felt death was better than being captured by their enemy. These religious nuts seem to be in the same league in their spreading of fear mongering lies about non-christians and especially us terrible atheists.

That Netflix show is based (loosely) on what actually happened. Not many actually threw themselves off cliffs, but just killed themselves inside the caves... at least from what I read. I doubt that they showed how the Americans shot flame throwers into the caves either.

But yes, the religious propaganda can lead peopel to veyr extreme behaviors too.

@snytiger6 All this was shown. People did kill themselves in the caves but most jumped. There were shots (that were really hard to watch) of women carrying their children jumping. Perhaps the flame thrower tanks cause a state of panic and people didn't have time to think. However, quite a few did surrender.
In all the reports and films I have seen it has been shown the Japanese soldiers had the worst behavior toward their captors. To them being captured was shameful and they treated their captives worse than animals. Of course most of these soldiers did commit suicide when faced with captivity.

Was that island not Okinawa, I remember seeing this also and the Japanese also hated the Okinawans, so they were doing two () in one move.

@dalefvictor No it was Saipan.

Given that the Japanese have a long history of Bushido which as far as I am aware is not a religion but a way of life and one of the principles is that you are not taken prisoner. I believe rich women carried a small sharp knife so that they could cut the artery in their neck if needed.

The Cowra breakout in Australia was because they believed they were better off dead than prisoners, they looked down on those that allowed themselves to be taken prisoner (men women or children) and treated them harshly for that reason, (plus those on prisoner duty felt disgraced as they should not have to look after prisoners)

The entire country was being fed one story, they were winning and would triumph and the rest of the world were evil.

I feel that their actions are more based on fear, propaganda, and a cultural belief that to be taken prisoner was a disgrace than a religious belief.

@Budgie Very interesting information and I agree. It has been said the Japanese are not at all a religious culture.
Still, being a believer of geography Japan is about the size of California with some 3X the population. It is normally not well suited for agriculture and much of their food comes from the sea. As the numbers and densities increase so do the value of the individuals. Somewhere I just read that when the environment becomes unhealthy the value of individuals also lessens. Sooner or later our numbers will and are catching up to us.

My question to James Dobson would be "when did Democrats do this in the past?" Nothing is bipartisan in politics today, and this includes religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499398
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.