Agnostic.com

8 12

LINK 42% Of Total U.S. Covid Deaths Are From The 0.6% Of The Population In Long-term Care

This seems important to understand in light of the more complete data. Just coming to light now because many states were refusing to provide data about nursing homes. Nursing homes are 0.6% of the population, but 42% of the Covid deaths. Some states were taking new Covid cases from hospitals an putting them into the long-term care facilities! Who the hell thought that would have a happy ending?

mtnhome 7 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be smart....stay away from nursing homes.

Not sure there's anyone in a nursing home voluntarily. My brother and I took care of our own dad for his last 3 years (to age 96) to be sure he would never be in one. Very smart move.

@mtnhome I think sometimes people stick relatives into a nursing home to get rid of them

The other thing people are not considering is the cost of beating the virus. A lot of younger people don't die, but they do walk out of the hospital with a bill for $150,000 and a wrecked cardiovascular system.

Yes, I fully understand the dead are only a statistic we can point to today. The survivors' stats will play-out over many, many, years.

Sounds like healthcare in USA. Err, what did Trump say - The USA has the best health care in the world.

An operator can do everything right--no visitors, rigorous sanitizing protocols, PPE, temperature checks multiple times a day, and so on--but the vulnerability is the staff. Caregiver families with multiple members working in different facilities (e.g., dad works as a cook in one facility, mom's a caregiver at another, and an adult child may work part-time at two other facilities) are very common. Consider the potential exposure from just one COVID-positive household of caregivers. Not their fault--nobody's fault really--but the virus will persist, and until we have a vaccine, our senior care facilities will remain highly vulnerable targets.

Cannot read this as Forbes wants me to turn off my adblock. For me to do so is not as easy as they tell you.

I use Adblock, too. I turn it off to read what I want and then generally back on when done. It's easy with my Win 10 and Chrome... it resides visibly in the upper right corner ("ABP" ) and just needs a couple tweaks.

The non-nursing home, not-old population still needs to be concerned. One of the key drivers of susceptibility appears to be impaired insulin sensitivity (a co-factor with diabetes, obesity, heart issues, etc.) which afflicts over 80% of the US population.

@MissKathleen There will be a LOT of shit to sort-out when the dust mostly settles.

@MissKathleen Yup... there are lots of good examples to study now and still time to make some difference in the eventual outcome. BUT, the turd in the White House will make no such decisions and will golf the rest of 2020 away while battling the news media for truth-telling. Leaving the WHO is just another classic example of doubling-down when he's shown to be going the wrong way. State Governors will all be making different decisions, it appears.

What I see is that meatpacking plants, long term care facilities, jails and prisons are becoming either petri dishes, deathtraps, or both for the virus. I pity anyone who is stuck spending their time in any one of those..

Yes, and if you have something wrong with you it will accelerate it.

@Toonces Nooooo.

That means over 60,000 Americans who are NOT elderly and in nursing homes have passed away from the Coronavirus. Thanks for the statistic, you are helping to draw attention to how truly serious the Covid-19 pandemic really is.

That's the thing that scares me and pisses me off, all the younger people that are going around without masks and gathering recklessly when it leads to lots of people who are 40-75 yo getting infected and dying. They have their younger folks to thank or blame for that..

I never thought otherwise. But those in virtual lockdown, like nursing homes, prisons, meatpackers, are, not surprisingly, getting a horrendous wallop. The rest of us are able to choose to wear masks and self-distance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:500581
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.