Agnostic.com

9 4

A very sad commentary on the closed society of the police forces. Is this a phenomenon of the metropolitan police departments? I live in a smaller suburban/rural township where the police, sherrifs, and firemen are all our neighbors. In fact, my nextdoor neighbor is the chief of police. As far as I'm aware, we've no "bad cops". Zero.

bigpawbullets 9 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Andy Rooney makes a good point.

Yes it is a phenomenon of metro police departments and does go to a very basic part of the problem, that police in urban areas are not part of the community. Instead, they are outside enforcers. We need to get to a way where the police are part of the community and not a force against it.

I like the idea of required residency, perhaps by zip code, but one that cannot be cheated.

Dayton PD had this requirement for years.
A friend of mine (now retired) was a Dayton Policeman. The way around this for them was to rent an efficiency apartment in an acceptable neighborhood <your idea of the zip code>, but actually have their home elsewhere.

@bigpawbullets Yup, I was aware of that happening in Milwaukee.

You'd probably be surprised at how much corruption is present in your small town police force. It's human nature.

Doubtful

Somethings never change

It's a maxim of the Police force: 'Never search your own backyard—you might find what you're looking for.
Joe Orton Loot (1965)

I think there is a lot of truth to that. When the cops who police an area actually live in or near that area, they see the public, even those who break the law, as their neighbors and fellow citizens, unlike when the cops live far away from their policing area in neighborhoods that are way different both racially and classwise. These kind of differences determine whether the cops have a fortress mentality where the community they police are the "other" or their enemy, or instead whether they see the public as their neighbors and fellow citizens. Sometimes I think these issues are a bigger part of the problem than cops just plain being racists.

Cops can cheat a residency requirement. In Milwaukee for instance, a group of cops would buy a building in the city for the record, but then all would have second homes elsewhere in the suburbs.

You don't squeal on the bad cop even if you are a good cop, because you don't want him to even think about hesitating tomorrow, when you might need him to save your life.

Schooled to ‘be one,’ there was definitely a Fraternity element to it.. That would not have worked well with me, I’m sure. Small towns, I’d suspect less of that, as they’re closer to their community.

Most love our Sheriff, I suspect the job’s his till he doesn't want it any more, no one even ran against him.. Had a great visit on my porch with him one day, no big deal, just an opportunity to meet ‘the new guy’ I suspect. Told him of my schooling toward law enforcement & criminal justice … and he told me of his brother ..navigating the globe with his boat, and coaxing ‘this brother’ to join him..

I told him it must feel good to be needed. He agreed. They’re nowhere near all bad, heck, I’d expected to give my life for some innocent.. But the larger the department, the deeper the factions & politics. I’ve heard some real horror stories … stuff that confirmed it was best I avoided that career.

Varn Level 8 May 30, 2020

Many of the metros have cops who live far out in the burbs or completely different cities. Almost no one knows the people policing them unless they go out of their way to do so. I've been to loads of community policing meetings and most of the cops just show up to knock out their community outreach hours while they surf the web on their phones and the bosses do all the talking.

But I'm still a firm believer that most are not bad cops other than that they tolerate bad cops. They all get tarred with the same bad cop feather because they do not vigorously fight to expunge the bad cop taint and that's sad and bad. The majority are our first and best defense against bad cops. We need esprits de corps in these professions - it will take a generation or more of dedicated work and no one seems to have an interest in that because politicians only focus on the next election and leaders on the next promotion or transfer to the next city and fatter pay check.

It’s the same where I live. Where people know each other they generally behave better.

Large cities seem to create extremist actions and opinions. Smaller societies are far more tolerant.

I agree

The larger the city, the more alienation there seems to be between the cops and the public, esp. on the part of the cops.

@TomMcGiverin Probably because the relationship becomes impersonal. A version of "them" and "us", instead of the small town's "we".

Yes, we need the police to be part of the community.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.