Agnostic.com

11 12

LINK Aunt Jemima brand to change name, remove image that Quaker says is 'based on a racial stereotype'

This is a step in the right direction, lets hope it is not the first step.

HippieChick58 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For sure a racial stereotype. Small thing to do but sometimes small gestures help move things along.

It is probably for the best.......btw...do they still have a picture of a fat Quaker on the Oatmeal box?

I haven't bought Quaker Oats in a very long time, so I don't know.

Yes they do 🙂

@HippieChick58 I know...I buy Great Value from WalMart

Change is coming

bobwjr Level 10 June 17, 2020

Another victory... Every little bit counts...

Long overdue.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with. Of course many will save the old products as they may become collectors items. Just out of curiosity I looked up the history: [blackamericaweb.com]

That was greatly enlightening. Thanks!

@HippieChick58 You are welcome. Sometimes a funny thing goes through my head and I want to look things up. It's always a learning experience. Instead of making a quick comment I want to look up the background.

Thing is, how big an impact will it have on the truly racist white folk in America? I am glad the stereotypes are being removed because for the most part non racist white people are pretty fucking tired of having to ignore this sort of bullshit. AS an empathic person it really does take a HUGE effort to keep this sort of bullshit from impacting my mind.

It will have no impact on the truly racist. We can just write them off and hope they die soon. It will have an impact on those who are impressionable. No longer a reminder of who is "less than" every time they are in a grocery store or possibly a restaurant.

What took so long?

Money!

I wonder just how much this product, and others, helped to subliminally foster racism. I remember liking the syrup as a child and had a first, knee jerk, reaction to oppose the change. But on critical analysis I applaud the change and the other actions that accompany it.

I heard today, Uncle Ben's is next.

let's hope it is not the last.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506845
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.