Agnostic.com

53 17

I’m struggling with the statement people make when they say they are Free Thinkers, Critical Thinkers, Atheist, Humanist, Secularist, and Skeptics, and then they say in the next sentence that they are spiritual!
First lets get some Websters definitions.
Free Thinkers: a person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief.
Critical Thinkers: Being inherently inquisitive and interested in the world and people around you is a hallmark of leaders who are critical thinkers. Instead of taking everything at face value, a curious person will wonder why something is the way it is.
Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Humanist: an advocate or follower of the principles of humanism. "efforts by secular humanists to oppose creationists"
Secularist: a person who advocates separation of the state from religious institutions. "secularists wanted religious reform as the first step to a secular society"
Skeptics: a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions.
And then there is “spiritual”
spiritual: relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
"I'm responsible for his spiritual welfare"
Now lets travel back in time to the time when our ancestors lived in the bush and were hunters and gathers. We have evidence of these creatures because of fossils and remains found between four and seven million years ago. These creatures would run when they heard a noise in the tall grass, they would believe it was a lion. If they were wrong they just got some exercise, but if ignored it and it was a lion it could cost them their lives. They learned there was a cause and effect to most things. They learned the seasons and how they helped them to anticipate the weather. Then they noticed when one of their group died they no longer responded and they had to bury the dead. They surmised that something had left the person and so they assigned that something to be a spirit. Every civilization known to man has had a believe in some sort of spirit leaving the body at death. This belief goes back as far as man does because that’s were the belief came from.
Now we talk about the good spirit and the bad spirit!
My son in-law’s mother died from brain cancer and as the cancer progressed she became cruel and mean to her spouse, children, siblings, parents, and everyone else she came in contact with. Before she was sick she was the most caring sweet person anyone had ever known! The brain and the mind are one in the same and people want to believe that the mind somehow lives on after death through this “spiritual” connection!
I would love to see any evidence of “spiritual” ! Its like a magic rabbits foot in your pocket! And it does as much good!

ExMooreMan 4 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Spiritual but not religious.

What I think you are attempting to do is keep religion with the word spiritual. By history and majority, spiritual has its connection with the word religion. So, for most person these words are like connotation to each other.

Connitation - an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

By saying religious a lot of people think spiritual or to say "I am spiritual" a lot of people imply the connotation of religious.

This is where as I have suggested that spiritual and spirituality be defined for what they mean without the causation included in the definition.

Religion is someones motivation. Or to say someone is religiously spiritual. Someone might be considered naturally spiritual in that nature and its awe is what moves them, not religious reasons. So, to define spirit, spiritual, spirituality as being related to motives and motivations it is leaving the cause open for anyone or a group to define what motivates them.

Word Level 8 June 21, 2020

Our minds can feel spiritual feelings but that does not mean they are real. I know there are a lot of things that are unexplained and I'm not saying that there aren't any spiritual things or beliefs that are facts but I haven't seen the evidence.

evidence is folly regarding these matters. a red herring, rabbit hole etc. the experience of the individual is the only relevance.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Many Cherokee know the symbiotic path is the spiritual path always feeling and knowing our life symbiosis....our i testinal biome our lymph and blood boome thinke with oue fingers seei thing with our ears knowing with our nose ....Tai Chi teackes a variety of organs in duality movement isife brezth is life sea water is life

Sorry I typed the above without reading eyewear ....and now I am not allowed to edit my typos....a poem really or my sort of Tai Chi song

@JoyKiser do you like to sing ? I remember a few verses from the American Atheist 45 rpm single I"M NOT FALLING ANYMORE & SHAKE LOOSE ballad a side rock&roll b side

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.