Agnostic.com

24 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No one expects the Spanish/Alabama Inquisition

Nobody expects the inbreeder inquisition. Their chief weapon is roll tide. Lol

@redhog Not too up to date on religious history here I think, the Inquisition was started by the Pope but that was merely the 'match' that lit the fire, the rest of the blaze was fueled by neighbour turning against neighbour, son against father, etc, etc, and mostly driven by Greed, Envy, minor disputes that got out of hand, etc, etc.
There is no accurate count/tally of how many lost their lives in the Inquisitions, there were actually 3 btw, but conservative estimates range between 10,000 and 70,000 victims in each of them.
And the Churches profitted from them each time by merely siezing the properties, etc, of the victims just as it/they did with the Crusaders as well who died in battle ( slaughter more like) and could NOT repay the Loans of Funds made to them by the Churches.

@Triphid the reference is to Monty Pythons Flying Circus . . . just sayin'

@Triphid fuck sake its a Monty Python reference lol

@bookofmorons thank you I havent seen this in years!

A very dangerous policy......soon the Christian police will be arresting heretics, LGBTQ people, and Jews. If unchecked they may put a stake up Atheist/Agnostic butts and burn them on a spit.

The new Dark Ages. From what I hear, Alabama has been there for quite a while already.

@Remowill That's the situation......sad

As it says at the article's end, it would never be allowed for a mosque to so such a thing.

Something evil this way comes. 🤬

What could go wrong?

@MissKathleen:
No expert here. Never had or read the Bible.

@MissKathleen:
Oh, I know. Just wanted to make it clear that I was not a bible expert. 😁

"You haven't been paying yer tithes. Yer goin away fer a long time."

I hope the aclu stops it in court. Will they stop at police? Will they push for there own court and jail?

The Pope would be proud.

What they have been aiming for

bobwjr Level 10 June 22, 2020

Well as long as Federal law limits their reach and restricts what is and isn’t crime then we should be fine but let someone like Mike pence take power and so will begin the hand maidens tale the reality show.

Oh and let’s not forget that the Klan considers themselves to a Christian organization and we all know Alabama’s past in regards to that. So hopefully this will remain as talk and nothing more.

Pretty much any group of people can do this under the law. This is probably due to existing people within the police force wanting to mobilize on behalf of their particular religious sect. They are probably just getting out ahead of it and getting what they're doing already, codified. It's typical, actually.

SCal Level 7 June 22, 2020

Can they stick to biblical punishments too for the "crimes" they commit? Would make this whole problem go away real quick...

Pretty much any group of people can do this under the law. This is probably due to existing people within the police force wanting to mobilize on behalf of their particular religious sect. They are probably just getting out ahead of it and getting it 'codified. It's typical, actually.

SCal Level 7 June 22, 2020

I am this up wented with this article's lack of information about what the law actually says and more info about why it was created. That deftly does not mean that I approve of it that the article doesn't give enough factual info for me to actually comment on the questions within it. It is kind of like a push poll and I expect better from an atheist publication.

The church here has its own courts. The ecclesiastical court can hear matters regarding adultery etc. and are enshrined in Manga Carta.

Wonderful. Now maybe they can arrest you for NOT getting the Holy Ghost.

What can I eat on Friday?

what is the only meat a priest can eat on friday?

NUN

No one expects the Alabaman Inquisition!

Just another step in formalizing religious extremism... What could possibly go wrong..

domos Level 7 June 23, 2020

This is hardly news—the article is a year old, and is lacking in details. If you are Patheos you select the parts of the story that further your goals of slander and fear mongering.

This from Wikipedia:

“In order to provide protection for over 1,000 students on two campuses at Briarwood Christian School, the church has requested the state government to allow it to set up its own police department, modeled after existing police departments within Alabama colleges and universities.[10] This permission was granted by a law signed by Governor Ivey in June 2019.[11]”

Now let us see, what can possibly go wrong with this.

Sweet home Alabummer!

at that point they aren't protected by federal law so if one of them gets shot for pulling a weapon on someone it could prove interesting

redhog Level 7 June 22, 2020

Well, IF they are hoping, in cases like that, that Jesus will put out his hands to stop the bullets from hitting these 'Xrstian Cops' and killing them, I'd say they're out of luck since poor old J.C. already has a hole in each hand....LOL.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508459
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.