Agnostic.com

13 15

LINK COVID is Still Spreading, in Part, Because of Churches’ Irresponsible Decisions | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

In the least shocking news you’ll see all day, it turns out people who gather in churches — that is to say: in large groups, in enclosed spaces, while only pretending to social distance, not always wearing face masks, and all for an activity that typically involves being very close to everyone else — are spreading COVID.

snytiger6 9 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not to excuse churches, but in terms of responsibilty for the spread, I would rank religion solidly in second place BEHIND irresponsible political leaders, in the case of potus literally a sociopath. Religious faith just makes these hapless people sitting ducks for the cynical sales pitch. There are, after all, a handful of other deeply religious countries. But they lack our "leaders." You could reasonably argue that, given the right leadership, religious people might even be good about following orders to "be good stewards" of public health.

Do we actually know if these test are actually accurate and actually capable of proof positive you are even infected???

It maybe true, but I feel like Hemant is exaggerating.

If it could only stay there..........

No shock there. Another reason to never set foot in a ⛪ again.

They need to be stamped with a big mark on their forehead, so we can identify and give them an even wider berth in public.

I can't believe I am about to say this but, maybe give them a bigger cross around their neck. It would be an effective warning method, especially if we convince them that the bigger the cross, the more pious they will seem. You will have people dragging around crosses in the street with this approach. And the rest of us will know to stay well away from them.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Only in part. Let's face it, most people haven't the discipline or self control to stay the course, we all let rip as soon as possible. Personally I'm concerned that this will be the template for all future epidemic / pandemic responses. This may well be the new normal. Masks on, visors down and shadow elbow bumping all the way - uggh.

Jackasses!

In part. But mostly because the US is run right now by a fat orange imbecile and a party of bigots.

@OldMetalHead yup

Totally amazing isn't it and now dumbass wants to force the schools open. 🤬😣🤮

Lots of those folks believe God is going to protect them, which reality is showing is not true, whether God doesn't exist or is just being an asshole? Who knows. But I love that these folks who all think God is watching out for them, are somehow nearly always the same people who think they better stay well armed all the time.

So . . . does God protect you or not?

Fair point. They also believe they’ll go to a heavenly afterlife. So... all good apparently!

@Mvtt Yep, and all the different beLIEfs have different ideas of the afterlife. I sort of want a blend of a few different superstitions heavens. Maybe the 50 virgins, ability to fly, musicians and artists everywhere, stuff like that.

CHURCH SAYS : "Don't be so insensitive, you know we need the money from the collection plate or tithe, we can't live without it...if people gets COVID and dies, we don't care, Jesus will be waiting for them with open arms! "

If one believes that nonsense, then Satan is also waiting for them with open arms and no one actually knows for certain who will greet you once you enter that imaginary realm.

@jlynn37 People, especially religious people, don't do things based on what they know, they do things based on what they believe. The thought that they might go to hell is never on their minds because they believe they are bathed in the blood of Christ and that a simple confession of their sins is all that's needed for a one way ticket to heaven.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:513466
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.