Agnostic.com

11 9

Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories

by Michael Shermer

What is a conspiracy, and how does it differ from a conspiracy theory? Michael Shermer explains who believes conspiracy theories and why they believe them in the following essay, derived from Lecture 1 of his 12-lecture Audible Original course titled “Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories: What We Should Believe and Why.”

On Friday, March 15, 2019 a 28-year old Australian man wielding five firearms stormed two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, and opened fire, killing 50 people and wounding dozens more. It was the worst mass public shooting in the history of that country, prompting Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to reflect: “While the nation grapples with a form of grief and anger that we have not experienced before, we are seeking answers.”

One answer may be found in the shooter’s rambling 74-page manifesto titled The Great Replacement, apparently inspired by a book of the same title by the French author Renaud Camus. The Great Replacement is a right wing conspiracy theory that claims that white Christian Europeans are being systematically replaced by people of non- European descent, most notably from North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, and the Arab Middle East, through immigration and higher birth rates.

The New Zealand killer’s name is Brenton Harrison Tarrant and his manifesto is filled with white supremacist tropes focused on this conspiracy theory, starting with his opening sentence “It’s the birthrates” repeated three times. “If there is one thing I want you to remember from these writings, it’s that the birthrates must change,” Tarrant insists. “Even if we were to deport all Non-Europeans from our lands tomorrow, the European people would still be spiraling into decay and eventual death.” Tarrant then cites the replacement fertility level of 2.06 births per woman, complaining that “not a single Western country, not a single white nation,” reaches this level. The result, he concludes, is “white genocide.”

This is classic 19th century blood-and-soil romanticism, and the self-described “Ethno-nationalist” Tarrant writes that he went on this murderous spree “to ensure the existence of our people and a future for white children, whilst preserving and exulting nature and the natural order.” His screed goes on and on like this, culminating in a photo collage of attractive white people and well-armed militia men.

It is reminiscent of the “Unite the Right” event in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August of 2017 when white supremacists shouted slogans like “blood and soil” and “Jews will not replace us.” Given that there are only about 15 million Jews in the world, Judaism employs no missionary effort at conversion, and birthrates among Jewish families are among the lowest in the world, why would any group worry about being “replaced” by them? They’re not. They’re reflecting the conspiracy theory that Jews control the media, politics, banking and finance, and even the world economy.

Full Article: [skeptic.com]

nogod4me 8 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In 72 years, I have seen no evidence that any secrets can be kept long-term, in fact the exact opposite. I call all conspiracy theories BS!

If Judaics control the economy it is because they were only permitted to engage in money lending, tax collection for centuries as Muslims & christians were not. As most Judaics were literate & most peasants were not, the idea of being cheated was always a sword of Damocles danging. Expelled from everywhere the diaspora brings them home to Israel, formally known as JUDEA.

Upset that other races produce more children than white people. Rather than kill the other races you would think that this man would have went to work getting as many white women pregnant as possible. Another alternative would be to not concerned with it. That's what I do.

I have a new conspiracy theory:

Nailed it, you did!

I just got a book on the subject from the library: "The Truth About Denial, Bias an Self-Deception in Science, Politics and Religion." It was published this year. We''ll see.

Thanks. just downloaded it.

Thanks, I'm checking it out now.

@nogod4me, @Surchin I began it last night, and am finding it to be worthwhile, if not better.

@nogod4me, @Surchin
From the preface to the middle of page 4, we find:
Denial is “…based on a preexisting, affective attachment to a particular conclusion.” It is “…the emotionally motivated rejection (or embrace) of a factual claim in the face of strong evidence to the contrary.” “Our interests and emotional needs affect not just our values and choices, but also our factual picture of the world around us…Our picture of the world is distorted by self-interest, peer influence,prejudice, fear,and favoritism and we are often not aware of the influence our motives have on our factual understanding of of the evidence for our conclusions.”

“The phenomenon of denial…is dependent on motivated cognition. ‘Motivated cognition’ refers to the ‘unconscious tendency of individuals to process information in a manner that suits some end or goal extrinsic to the formation of accurate beliefs.’ Motivated cognition happens behind the scenes, but is closely tied to the more overt rationalization of belief,” defined “as the process of retroactively inventing defensive justifications for holding those beliefs formed via motivated cognition. Motivated cognition is about belief formation, whereas rationalization is about maintaining and defending those beliefs."

@BirdMan1 Excellent!

Funny how he ranted about white people and declining birth rate yet he himself did not father any children that I have heard about. The orthodox hasidic jews do have large families that is not a conspiracy just look into it but they are not taking over the world, they live in their own little worlds.

So, he qualifies for a Darwin Award, then?

Yes, it was unknown if he had children, I hope not. Here is his info:

[dreshare.com]

To learn about a bona-fide conspiracy, that has been impacting us for some decades now, read about the Koch brothers in "Democracy in Chains: the Deep History of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America," by Nancy MacLean
They founded, and funded the Tea Party, the Cato Institute, and much more that has helped the elitist, conservative movement and, most recently, inadvertently created the Trump presidency.

Yes, great book! Very enlightening. I would also highly recommend the book.

The real problem is when a so called conspiracy is found to be true!!!

Most are out right stupid hoaxes!!!

Yet a few are censored for the factual content that actually embarrasses those who want to surpress it as conspiracy!!!

Too bad the numbers do not add up on this with the pandemic while the economy is reset without any warning only capitulation by the masses!!!

Except that Shermer and CFI blindly follow the bidding of the Military Industrial Complex/Deep State. CFI's standard practice is to debunk and publish disinformation on all UFO incidents, to disregard evidence and to disparage witnesses. Their view is that ALL witness testimony is unreliable and cannot even serve as evidence, and that all documentation that has ever been found is fake.

You have to be really stupid (about 1/3 of Americans) to fall for this shit!

I like to think of conspiracy theories as lies told to gullible people seeking simplistic answers, catering to their hate. There are true conspiracies out there, they do exist.

barjoe Level 9 July 20, 2020

of course, remember the best place to hide a tree is openly in the middle of a forest.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.