Agnostic.com

58 2

What's an interesting fact you know?

Mea 7 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rainbows are beautiful, but they tend to disappear before you can take many photos – but when one appeared in Yangmingshan, Chinese Taipei on 30 November 2017, it remained for an unprecedented 8 hours and 58 minutes.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

heard about that

There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Under the water, carry the water...
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean!

A cats penis is barbed

some facts you may not want to know.

alpaca penises are spiral and can be moved independantly

Several duck species have corkscrew vaginas that have dead ends to help keep males they don't want to inseminate them from being able to do so successfully.

Snakes have two penis, and a vagina

That you can hit on collision with a small car against a tractor trailer full of fuel and did not esploded like in the movies... while drunk I may add in a cold winter night in Germany.

Given that the average person walks at about 3.1 miles per hour, if it was possible to "walk" to the sun... it would take you 3,423.18 years to get there... assuming you never slept or took a break.

It is still not possible, but thank you for participating!

I would probably stop at least twice

@btroje might as well check out Venus and Mercury while you're out that way... right?

@Anemynous and Pluto is my friend no matter what his identity issues are

I have a webbed toe

If you exhale before you inhale pot you won't cough.

An octopus can fit through any hole large enough for it's mouth/beak to fit.

So much trivia, haha. Here's three I know.

• Algae is responsible for 90% of the oxygen cycled into the atmosphere

• Kangaroos can't walk backwards because of the structural rigidness of their tales

• "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" had zero top 40 hits. The reason? There weren't any songs released as singles.

According to FEMA, 60% of the population have no plan in place for any kinda of disaster be it natural or man made.

In my county we have a very good fire district and yet most people do not realize that in our city of about 120K people, on any given day, there is one firefighter for about every 8,000 people.

A Femtosecond is the amout of time it takes a photon of light to traverse a distance the diameter of a human hair.
So, if I were to ask you if you could "wait a damn femtosecond" for me to finish getting ready, that would be sarcasm.

The sperm with the best genetics rarely are the ones who find the egg.

The majority of elements heavier than Iron on the periodic table were made via super and hypernovae (the collapase and explosion of very large/dense stars)...

Being in sales for everything -food, toys, home accessories and jewelry I know how much a customer is marking up product to sell to the public. Anything other than food has a 100% markup. The retail customer pays way too much. Off-price shopping has lower markups-pay half as much sometimes.

Which is why I love "Dirt Cheap". I can usually pick up what I need at anywhere from a 20% markdown to a 95% markdown. Love this store!

I don't think that is an unreasonable mark up. Retail is not an easy way to make money. you have to rent space, utility bills, security, inventory sitting on shelves, leakage, employees and benefits, insurance, equipment, signage, taxes... it goes on and on. That's why it's cheaper to buy stuff online.. not having a brick and mortar store means you can eliminate a lot of your overhead, and sell things for cheaper. Of course, this comes at the cost of mom and pop shops everywhere....

We have Ocean State Job Lots, Big Lots, Building 19

Who wrote and first performed Black Magic Woman? Fleetwood Mac

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

Before Santana? Really?

@sassygirl3869 Yes and thanks for the interest. Peter Green was the guitarist in the original Fleetwood mac . He wrote the song and the amazing thing is when Santana did the song ,Carlos used the same lead guitar notes as Peter Green,

cashewa are not a nut but grow on the outside bottom of the cashew apple.

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

...AND that fruit produces the same irritating oil, urushiol, that's found in poison oak and poison ivy... processing these fruits does not sound like fun!

Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.

They were not wrong...

Time travel to the future is possible, just impractical. It may also be a one-way trip, as we aren't sure if time travel to the past is possible. That said, events of the future can affect events of the past through a strange phenomenon called quantum entanglement.

ronak Level 5 Apr 7, 2018

I time travel into the future, everyday 😉

@Mea

The B-29 which dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima on 6 August 1945 was Enola Gay. On 9 August 1945, another B-29 called Bockscar dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki.

There was a guy who was in both cities when the bombs dropped. There's a video on Netflix about it. Its title is Twice.

@PhilipT Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been to the Peace Park in Hiroshima, it's a really lovely place. I've also seen the Enola Gay at the Smithsonian in Washington DC, which was a bookend to the experience.

Diamonds are forever?

[popsci.com]

not unlike plastic.

diamonds are not my best friend

If a pare of blue bottles ie big corps eating flies, were allowed perfect conditions with no predators, all the food they need and there young, the ball of flies in one year would be the size of planet earth.

I have heard this before and it grossed me out that time too...thanks a bunch!

we need flies to clean up corpses and they are a huge part of animal diets. I'm not that keen myself. your welcome.

Glass is not solid, it's not a liquid either.
Mercury is the only room temperature liquid that isn't wet, on Earth anyway.
Dragonflies can move each wing independantly of the others.
Velvet Ants are actually ground wasps whose sting is very painful, I didn't know that when I picked one up.
The Moon actually falls toward the Earth, it just keeps missing.
Light behaves like a particle and a wave.

ants and wasps are all very closely related I believe. earwigs are very family orientated living in family units with aunts taking care of young. males are kicked out or leave much like a lion pride. komodo dragons don't need to mate to have young. an octopus stomach goes through its polo shaped brain. rhinoceros beetles can move things 600 times there own weight. a shrew is the most aggressive mammalian predator pound for pound.chamelions may move their eyes differently to each other but only look through one at a time. mantis shrimps have the most complex eyes being trinocular excuse my spelling, they also have the fastest movement of any creature with there punch that stuns crabs. the biggest bony fish being the sunfish also has the most eggs in one go ie 300,000,000.

so if glass is not solid or liquid ,what is it?

@btroje Scientific American says: It is an amorphous solid—a state somewhere between those two states of matter.

The Average Lifespan Of A First Lutenant In Vietnam Was 16 Mins.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

chilling

It’s a fact that farts are hilarious

States in "The Bible Belt" comprise the region of the US with the highest percentage of people suffering from (or reveling in) mental retardation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51803
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.