Agnostic.com

21 9

It is sad and ironic how so many who claim to be rational free-thinkers also support censorship of "disagreeable" ideas.

"Nanny State" social media platforms decide what information we are allowed to observe.

PBuck0145 7 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They aren't "disagreeable ideas".
They are lies.
When there are people who believe the lies, and it endangers the public safety that they do, taking privately owned platforms away from them is NOT censorship.
The operators of those platforms have no obligation to disseminate anyone's lies.

[en.wikipedia.org]

@PBuck0145

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient."[2][3][4] Censorship can be conducted by governments,[5] private institutions, and other controlling bodies."

I noticed that definition did not include LIES.

Free speech is important but so is stopping misinformation and lies.

Stopping? Better to refute and/or disprove. Censorship is NOT acceptable.

@PBuck0145

This is the beginning of totalitarianism. The hive-mind cheers for their own demise.

"How could you tell how much of it was lies? It might be true that the average human being was better off now than before the Revolution. The only evidence to the contrary was the mute protest in your own bones, the instinctive feeling that the conditions you lived in were intolerable and that at some other time they must have been different. It struck him that the truly characteristic thing about modern life was not its cruelty and insecurity, but simply its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness. Life, if you looked about you, bore no resemblance not only to the lies that streamed out of the telescreens, but even to the ideals that the Party was trying to achieve. Great areas of it, even for a party member, were neutral and nonpolitical, a matter of slogging through dreary jobs, fighting for a place on the Tube, darning a worn-out sock, cadging a saccharine tablet, saving a cigarette end. The ideal set up by the Party was something huge, terrible, and glittering--a world of steel and concrete, of monstrous machines and terrifying weapons--a nation of warriors and fanatics, marching forward in perfect unity, all thinking the same thoughts and shouting the same slogans, perpetually working, fighting, triumphing, persecuting--three hundred million people all with the same face."

George Orwell, 1984

@PBuck0145 "block others from viewing" -- Blocking others from viewing YOUR posts AND comments, then, IS censorship. 

HOW MANY have YOU censored ?

@PBuck0145 Stopping may be refuting and/or disapprove or how about educate.

@PBuck0145, @SCal How about some education.

@Jolanta

Sure, hows this for education?

THE MAN BEHIND HITLER | ARTICLEBook Burnings in Germany, 1933

[pbs.org]

@SCal Then more books that are being burned, the more people go out of their ways to read those books.

The more people forced to wear the star of david, the easier to identify dissenters and people who dare to think their own thoughts, and be different from the hive-mind.

How dare they. Look how many of us there are who think the same thing. Of course we are right. Even our government sanctioned doctors say we are right. Of course idiots who have been discredited like Tesla, Ignaz Simmelweis, Fresco, Pastuer, those idiot Wright brothers, Dr. Gerson, Bruno and Copernicus should have their information and machines destroyed because we are right, and they are stupid and wrong. Look how many of us there are. Of course the majority is always right.

@SCal Just wow, I'm stunned as in lost IQ points after reading your response, thanks for nothing.

@Willow_Wisp

State sanctioned Dr. Goebbels thanks you for goose stepping support for the cause.

You must approve of Dr. Goebbels. He is state sanctioned and all other Doctors must conform or be mocked and exiled.

Gern geschehen!

@SCal Thank you for identifying yourself as someone unworthy of hearing. Welcome to my block list.

@SCal A lot of time it was not a matter of them being wrong and us being right but more about money, power and fear.

...without looking.. I’ll assume enough free-thinkers have set you straight to the point I don’t have to try 😉

Varn Level 8 Aug 2, 2020

Another "free-thinking" supporter of censorship. Kudos!

@PBuck0145 "block others from viewing" -- Blocking others from viewing YOUR posts AND comments, then, IS censorship. 

@FearlessFly I have never blocked anybody. Why are you obsessed with that idea?

We are entitled to our own opinions, we are not entitled to our own facts. If you state something that is factually false, you should be prepared for the repercussions. If you repeat something that is false, then you should be shut down since you are a threat to an educated society.

It is sad and ironic how so many who claim to be rational free-thinkers also support rampant dissemination of blatant misinformation and scream censorship when it's removed from social media for being false content and violating their community standards. Free speech applies to government censorship. Private companies have every right to hold people to standards when they engage on their platforms. There's no current cure for Covid-19 and anyone claiming differently is lying and misinforming the public. There's a huge difference between disagreeable ideas and blatant lies.

That video has been disproven and it is misinformation. Guess you want to believe some bullshit doc who preaches about demon seed causing gynecological problems and get meds with Alien DNA

Two deeply embedded misconceptions in what you say here.

Firstly, individuals and private platforms are fully entitled to establish their own standards and not to publish, transmit or even listen to 'ideas' they do not wish to. To compel these things is the very opposite of freedom of speech.

Secondly, rational freethinkers recognize that not all ideas are the same. There are objective standards of truth that apply to epidemics, climate change and many other issues. Imagining that every 'idea' has the same value or should have the same hearing is not freethinking but dumb obedience to an ideology.

Many of the 'ideas' promoted by the political right are not ideas at all, but barely-disguised incitements to limit the freedom or even to violence against groups of people they hate.

Of course
The left is always correct and always well intentioned and never to be questioned. It is only that stupid right that gets things wrong, and is dangerous and should be censored.

They should also wear this star of david, and have their information burned and destroyed. Of course they should live in those camps. They are dangerous and stupid and think differently than thr rest of us. Even the doctors who conduct their own research should be censored because we disagree with them, and look how many of us thinl the same thing.

History has proven that when more people think something, of course its true. We discredited Bruno, Copernicus, Gerson, Fresco, those stupid Wright brothers, Simmelweis, Tesla, Pasteur. Let us burn and scrub their stupid ideas from public discourse because they are stupid and dangerous and have been discredited!

We are right and they are wrong! We are the majority. We have the power. What we say goes.

@SCal What a truly silly rant about something I didn't say.

@Severnman

You pointed out to the "political right", with no mention of the political left.

I stand by what I said.

It’s not censorship when someone keeps spouting the same old debunked ignorant anti whatever crap and I turn the channel. So a creationist demanding to rant at a college and turned away is hardly censorship. Same for most fascist right wing horse manure. Not having to endure yet another tired justification for trickle down is more like mental health than censorship.
Besides that the vast majority of censorship has been from the right wing, and from religions. Try being LGBT and demand equal time on Fox News. Except the free thinkers don’t whine and cry about it. That’s primarily a conservative thing.

“Nanny state” does not apply to private social media platforms. There is a huge difference between the government censorship and censorship by private companies.

@PBuck0145 objects to the fact that there even is free thought. He will not relax until liberalism has been snuffed out.

@BitFlipper A blatant lie!

@PBuck0145 Now they lie to protect their tyrannical behavior. Next they will become violent. Off to the box cars those stupid dissenters go. They were stupid anyhow.

I'm suspicious of people whose posts are always divisive and insulting.

It is unreliable, false and misleading information that is being censored, not "disagreeable ideas"

Your opinion on the veracity of the information is irrelevant. Censorship is NOT acceptable.

@PBuck0145 However, tagging a message as false, misleading or distasteful, is also a protected form of speech. But I agree, outright censorship is not acceptable.

@Normanbites It isn't the government censoring, but corporations. I am not a fan of corporations, but they're starting to take responsibility for their content on social media, and anytime corporations take responsibility for content, I see that as a step in the right direction.

@snytiger6 I'm not sure what you mean by "corporations taking responsibility for content".

If you are saying they are reducing the amount of "opinion injecting" into the news. I'm all for that. It would be great if media would temper their reporting to "just the facts". But this kind of reporting seems lost to the ages from what I'm seeing in the media now.

If you are saying corporations are deciding what facts should be reported and what facts not reported. Or which group should be allowed voice and which should not. I'm not in favor of that. But then I don't really know how you can expect to keep our ruling overlords from doing whatever the heck they want.

[littlesis.org]

Like who?
I have access to anything I want. So do you.
But like I enjoy going back and forth from MSNBC to CNN to Fox News, I gravitate towards msnbc because I'm a democrat, you too have the option to watch your choice. Just because I regard your platforms as paranoid delusion doesn't mean I don't watch some of it. It's hilarious! Bill Gates putting nanorobots into vaccines? Hahaha.
Anyway, continue. Great entertainment.

Is that what Billy boy is doing these day? It is peculiar that he hopped from OPs to vaccinating Africans. It's my understanding that he's seeking indemnification from lawsuits for these matters, so something's going on there. Not sure about nanobots, though. That would be next level.

@SCal State of the art. He's sparing no expense!
See, he wants to reduce the world's population and make a lot of money from the Pharmas he owns, so he's developing a vaccine which not only kills the virus but renders some blood groups impotent.
Oh yeah! You haven't heard? What kind of insider ARE you?!?

@Storm1752 You use sarcasm, but several on this site have disseminated those very same views.

But of course Gates is rich and smart, so everything he does and thinks is also smart. And mr. Hitler, he is also rich and smart. Of course he is right. Of course those jews are bad people. Of course their books should be burned, of course they should wear the star of david, of course they should live in those camps.

They are dangerous! And mr. Hitler is rich and popular and smart. What sort of idiot would be suspicious of him?. Only a small, few idiots think he is dangerous and wrong. We should burn their bools because we disagree and they are wrong and we are right! Everyone knows mr Hitler is alway right.

@SCal I think I get your point.
And yes, of course I was being sarcastic. Those are the views of the new and deeply insidious 'Q' movement, which feeds on that particular internet movement.

In the context of the First Amendment, a business deciding whether or not to share or allow certain words or images is not censorship any more than you or me not allowing certain words or images within our own homes.

For example, If I say you can't display a Nazi flag in my house or my business, that's my right. If I say that you are not allowed to buy or read "Mein Kampf" then I am violating your rights. Huge difference between those two ideas.

A fairly well known atheist has stated that "My goal is to believe as many true things as I can and disbelieve the false things". The difficulty is in determining which category a given proposition falls into.

I want us all to be able to make that determination on our own. The concept of some anonymous thought police is abhorrent to me.

Some people believe there were good people on both sides at Charlottesville. I am not one of them.

What is really sad and ironic is that you consider yourself to be a free thinker.

A Texas-based doctor whose declarations about using hydroxychloroquine to cure COVID-19 were retweeted by Donald Trump has a long history of supporting conspiracy theories, it has emerged.

Dr Stella Immanuel, 55, shot to fame on Monday when the president retweeted a video featuring her appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress.

In the video - which has since been removed by Facebook, YouTube and Twitter - she promotes the discredited coronavirus remedy, hydroxychloroquine.

She attacked 'fake doctors' who doubt the efficacy of the drug, and claimed it's a 'cure', adding 'you don't need a mask.'

'If some fake science comes out and says we've done studies and they found out that it doesn't work, I can tell you categorically it's fake science,' she said.

'I want to know who's conducted that study and who's behind it. Because there is no way I have treat 350 patients and counting and nobody is dead.'

She said she has treated patients with hydroxychloroquine along with zinc, and the antibiotic zithromax.

Donald Trump Jr was also impressed by her speech, noting on Twitter that it was 'a must-watch'.

Immanuel, who runs the Fire Power Ministries in a strip mall next door to her clinic in Houston, was born in Cameroon and did her medical training in Nigeria, The Daily Beast reported.

On her Facebook page she describes herself as: 'Physician, Author, Speaker, Entrepreneur, Deliverance Minister, God's battle axe and weapon of war.'

The church's 'beliefs' section on their website - which has now been taken down - says they are against 'unmarried couples living together, homosexuality, bestiality, polygamy, etc.,' Heavy reported.

One sentence in the profile reads: 'Her attitude toward demonic forces has been described as cut-throat, a warrior to the core.'

Immanuel is also a 'wealth transfer coach' and believes 'you can be saved, anointed, fire brand and wealthy too.'

A mother of three daughters, Immanuel reportedly studied medicine in Nigeria between 1984 and 1990.

In November 1998, Immanuel began working as a pediatrician in Alexandria, Louisiana.

She has been a physician at the Rehoboth Medical Center in Katy, just west of Houston, Texas, since October 2019.

She received a medical license in Texas eight months ago, in November, according to state records.

A Nigerian website, PM News, reported that Immanuel did a residency in pediatrics at Bronx-Lebanon in New York. It was unclear when.

She then interned under Dr. Babatunde Dosu, a Dallas-based Nigerian pediatrician.

It also stated that she holds medical licenses in Texas, Louisiana and Kentucky.

Immanuel founded the church in 2002 and has given sermons attacking progressive values and promoting conspiracy theories including 'the gay agenda, secular humanism, Illuminati and the demonic New World Order.'

She has claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, saying: 'They're using all kinds of DNA, even alien DNA, to treat people.'

In a 2015 sermon she declared that the Illuminati are promoting a plan hatched by 'a witch' to destroy the world using abortion, gay marriage, and children's toys.

Immanuel claims the Magic 8-Ball toy is in fact a scheme to get children used to witchcraft. 'The 8-Ball was a psychic,' she said.

'There are people that are ruling this nation that are not even human,' Immanuel said, before launching into a conversation she had with a 'reptilian spirit' she described as 'half-human, half-ET.'

In another 2015 sermon she said scientists had plans to install microchips in people, and develop a 'vaccine' to make it impossible to become religious.

'They found the gene in somebody's mind that makes you religious, so they can vaccinate against it,' Immanuel said.

Immanuel warned that the Disney Channel show Hannah Montana was a gateway to evil, because its character had an 'alter ego.' She has claimed that schools teach children to meditate so they can 'meet with demons.'

She also urges that 'children need to be whipped'.

The doctor warned her flock that gay marriage meant that 'very soon people are going to be seeking to marry children'.

Good rant. Feel better now?

Also discredited by the majority, Nikola Tesla, Ignaz Simmelweis, Louis Pasteur, the Wright brothers, Giordano Bruno, Nicolas Copernicus, the entire jewish community, Dr. Max Gerson and on and on and on.

Continue discrediting if you can. Censorship is always a bad idea.

I agree. Even if it is misinformation and lies, people who think those are valid ideas can express them.

This also gives the other members of society the ability to express their ideas regarding verifiable evidence, and rationality.

Suppressing false or even disagreeable ideas drive the dialog containing those ideas in to underground echo chambers where they can be fortified.

Sometimes the disagreeable unpopular notions can even be the ones that are eventually accepted as right and just .... you know like racial integration, interracial marriage, equality for all people, voting sufferage for women. ... ALL of these were disagreeable, unpopular notions at one time and were even suppressed and censored.

Free speech is important and it includes freedom to express unpopular and distasteful ideas.

You're sad😞

And most of them hold weird, incorrect views that they refuse to let go of. Even in the face of factual information.

Some of the craziest shit ive ever seen.

SCal Level 7 Aug 2, 2020

If a social-media user (you? ) BLOCKS some-other-user, is THAT censorship ?

PBuck0145:
To block from one's on viewing is acceptable. To block others from viewing is censorship.

FearlessFly:

What about complere removal and blocking from everyones view?

Of course no one objects to private discrimination.

That is clearly not what is being promoted here. Censorship is being openly promoted and supported by hive-mind like thinking.

That is more dangerous than any incorrect information.

@SCal "private discrimination" -- those social media 'platforms' ARE private (not government) 🙂

. . . perhaps you should have used the word 'individual' 😛

@FearlessFly

I get that, and perhaps I should have.

Just like perhaps you should have used punctuation instead of emojis.

@SCal I have repeatedly advocated that ALL profiles disclose "those who have blocked me" and "those that I have blocked" (none).

Anyone who claims to be 'bothered' by censorship -- even by private entities -- could do the same. 🙂

@FearlessFly

Fair enough.

"PBuck0145 7 replied Aug 3, 2020 0
Good rand. Feel better now?" (sic)

Just helping you along (with some other cut and paste) given that you had inadvertently forgotten to mention your esteemed doctor's previous achievements in the field.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.