Agnostic.com

19 5

Man hems and haws in his first message. Translation, please.

"You are a very, uh...photogenic lady," a 79-year-old man from Virginia messaged me today.

"Thank you. Why all the hemming and hawing?" I replied.

"Didn't want to say the 's' word."

Crooked communication is confusing. He seems insecure and uncertain. Does he think I will faint if he calls me sexy? I heard it before.

Clear communication is needed. We can be clear and tactful at the same time.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When they use actual stammering in a typed sentence, I immediately write them off as disingenuous. On the up side, the manipulation is much easier to see in these guys, so they're doing us a favor by allowing us to eliminate them right out of the gate.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 1, 2020

I find it difficult to state clearly what I mean when it comes to complimenting a lady. Fearing the PC backlash or being thought of as a dirty old man like Quincy ME!
At work I sometimes have to remind some of the girls that the guys we look after are sexual creatures too, but often lack the understanding of what is socially unacceptable.

So, what is the expectation in doing that? That the "girls" you work with will make allowances for men's poor behavior and just tolerate it, instead of expecting the men to learn not to be offensive?

@Deb57 Some men, cannot easily adjust their behaviour because they have learning, cognitive and social differences. Which is why they are supported 24/7 and some by two staff at a time. Picking staff to work with them isn't easy. Few of our older female workers ever mention that the guys we support are sexually mature, but cannot differentiate friendly working from sexual interest. In the end, they want love too. Not an easy job to manage. I've been leading a team with a new client who can be rather extreme in his attraction to younger female workers.

@Sofabeast well, that's very interesting. Are these co-workers you're talking about or people who have been institutionalized for severe mental handicaps?

@Deb57 Adults with needs, we work hard not to institutionalise people.

Well, I find you very sexy! There, typed it out loud.

Without knowing his experience level....I'd cut him some slack. Normally if they approach me this way, I may not be the most receptive. I like to get to know someone a bit first. Not a prude but I need more than just a warm body.

Not everyone is comfortable doing the message thing.
Some folks are shy.
Some are simply not good at online communication.
Some only do well on the phone.
Some only do well face-to-face.
And some have trouble communicating on any level !

May be generation gap. Sex was a taboo topic when he was young, much more so than after the pill (1960) and Human Sexual Response (Masters and Johnson, 1966).

Sounds kind of sweet to me. He doesn't want to offend but still make it known he finds you attractive.

Maybe just nervous..

One would think that if he is 79 he would have gotten over it.

@dalefvictor

Exactly. He's old enough to be my father.

@LiterateHiker fathers are nervous when talking to daughters about the birds and the bees 😂😂

Have to consider cultural norms in the location where someone lives. In Virginia going right out and saying that would be insta- block.
For men, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If we treat a woman as an equal , with respect, one gets labeled timid, if we are direct , all the sudden that lable becomes evil misogynistic pig. With most women there is no middle ground,it has to be one or the other with generally one opportunity to see if the test has been passed.
Personally I won't get overtly flirtatious. I'd like to think females are more evolved than that, and so I know the friend zone is my destiny,, and I'm good with that. At least I won't get caught up in any games.
The Me too movement has not done relationships any favours. Before thinking that it has straightened men out, consider Sweden, where they did such a good job of neutering their males over the last 20 years, that many Swedish women are now importing males from Latin America so they can get the schmooze treatment. " Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone " 😊

Funny, I did a bit of a search on Swedish women importing Latin men, and couldn't find anything to back up your claim.

Sounds like you're just one of those guys who fears independent women.

@MrBeelzeebubbles there was a big report on Deutsche Welle TV a couple of years ago, and your assumption of me fearing independent women couldn't possibly be any further from the truth..

One other thing to consider, he just might not have a big vocabulary and trying to find the right word that won't raise eyebrows may be a challenge. I love words and frequently default to the one with most syllables. More normal people don't do that. I think he was being cautious and trying to say the right thing.

Sounds like he doesn’t want to offend you. Maybe he has tried that in the past with other women and received unpleasant reactions. I would be wary if someone started out with Hey Darling or Hey Sexy. It’s just not the style of approach that appeals to me. He wants to compliment you and not scare you off.

@Tinocca

Good point. Thanks.

Shy and respectful.

Sounds like he had to muster up a lot of courage to just even message you ,Sounds like he is Shy and lacks self confidence in talking to woman,lack of experence ,maybe he has lost his wife,she may have been the only lady in his life since a teenager, But i also feel for you also as it is very hard to answer back when you do not know there back ground or where they are coming from ,where as you are very self confident ,exact opposite it seems in speech . You handled it well as you normally do ,Warm hugs

@RoyMillar

Thank you for your wise and helpful reply. I appreciate you.

Thank you for your kind compliment

Shy and not sure how to proceed. He is older and probably not use to online interaction like this. At least he said something. I get a lot of Hi! that's it, just hi.

Shy and insecure.

I think it’s a skill to be clear and tactful and all too often those that have it are insincere. He seems to be trying to be polite, testing the waters, taking his time. The sexy word needs to wait in a friendship sometimes.

Here's the deal: A man has to speak to both a woman's brain and her heart.
If a man does not talk to her brain, she deems it lack of respect.
If he does not talk to her heart, he gets "We can only be friends"

Yet, it has never been proven that women have a sense of humor.....so tread lightly there guys

twill Level 7 Aug 5, 2020

U look sexy, and much more to me

twill Level 7 Aug 5, 2020

Fear of rejection. 🤔

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521779
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.