Agnostic.com

6 2

Purpose of human life

Do you think humans have a purpose, or we are just by-products of evolution who became too self-conscious?
With the quarantine free time I thought on this a lot, text me if you have a new outlook you wanna share

• 2 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 0 votes
calmestsoul 2 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To make money for the Cheeto and his buddies.

Who is "we"? Do you mean the brain and me? Certainly the brain has a purpose and that is to survive. It (my brain) will do whatever it thinks is necessary to survive. The purpose of survival (which is where I come in) is to reproduce and raise to maturity a child in order for the species to survive. If there needs be a purpose for life after that, you need to find your own.

GROG Level 6 Aug 6, 2020

Since we are reincarnated (based on all indications) our purpose is to perfect ourselves and help others perfect themselves. In my opinion.
This does not suppose a 'god,' at least not in the conventional sense. At least as far as I can tell

So what is the yardstick by which said perfection is measured by?

@Geoffrey51 You have an ideal, don't you? Your own personal vision of perfection? Maybe yours and mine match
That.
Instead of being cynical like some, why not buy into it?
I think everybody has that vision, though some try to convince themselves it doesn't exist. And in doing so, make themselves profoundly unhappy.

Yes, a vehicle for viruses to propagate and achieve their evolutionary potential.

"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Nada

I checked "by-products of evolution", though I'm not sure that that's technically correct. Wouldn't we - like every other species - simply be the products of evolution? Oh, semantics...

I think we are different only in our capacity to find fault with ourselves, with good reason.

Products of Evolution, for what? To what goal? Just to eat, shit and procreate? A lot of work to get us this far without a clue.

@dalefvictor Evolution doesn't have a goal, any more than a river does. The fact that both end up far from where they started is a result of circumstance, not intention.

Or were you being glib? It's hard to tell, absent verbal cues.

@AmyTheBruce The river itself may not have a goal, but the world around it did give it one, downhill. Perhaps a river without a goal is a lake.
Is a goal intentional in itself, or is it just the manner in which Nature works? Is Nature conscious of what it is doing, or is it reacting to a set of rules, or is there something else going on? Thoughts anyone?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.