Agnostic.com

10 2

The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, by Saramago. Have you read it?

Hello,

I am on p. 38 now and enjoying it a lot. As an atheist/agnostic/sceptic etc. did you enjoy the book? If so, what did you like about it?

My favourite page so far is this 🙂

tsallinia 6 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would it have this name? Christ is not a name but instead is a title.

In my well educated opinion I'd say "Rubbish, Rubbish, Twaddle and Horse shit."
Anything pertaining to the existence of Jesus is mere suppositions/assumptions and unfounded claims at the very best.
For example, ALL the so-called and 'claimed' Gospels were actually written post the Council of Nicaea in 325 C.E. (A.D) by order of the self-appointed 'Bishops' of the then Messianic Movement, later to become known as Christianity and were COMPOSED by at least 40+ Scribes on 4 different Continents ( known at the times btw) with absolutely no regular means of communication between them.

Hi Triphid.

I completely agree with you. Do you know what the book is about though?

If only!!!

If only there might be something that actually shows he/she existed!!!

If only there was some sort of actual Roman proof that he/she existed!!!

If only you were not so stupid to believe in fairy tales of Big Foot, Tooth fairy, Santa clause, and the Lochness monster!!!

If only I could not have to read, hear, or have so many ill educated state that there Jesus is lord god or any other BS title for some unknown Shit no one can ever proof existed!!!

Hmmm. Will check it out from the local library and see where it goes. It's a premise that has been done again and again in many different forms, the re-telling of gospels in humanist terms. Some were good (Jesus of Montreal), some were ok (The Last Temptation of Christ), and some were pretty funny but pretty banal (Lamb: the Gospel according to Biff).

Always wanted to read the Last tempation as it was written by Kazantzakis, an author from were I come from 🙂

@tsallinia Never read the book version. Just William DeFoe movie. 🙂 Perhaps the book is far better.

Hard pass

If that is an example of the rest of the book I think I will do something more interesting. Maybe i will watch the garden fence I painted recently

I haven't read this book, but I love Saramago and his unique story-telling. I read Blindness, All the Names, Double and Death with Interruptions, all amazing. Thank you for the recommendation, it's going on my wishlist.

No worries ☺️
Which one did you like the most? I am thinking of sticking with his books for a while.

@tsallinia Tough choice. The ones that stands out is Blindness because it was the first book of his I read and became hooked.'There's also a movie which is decent, but the book is simply phenomenal. A close second would be Death with Interruptions.

@HannaYou Thanks Hanna. I am definitely going to give them a go

No, but I've read all the fine print in the Charmin Ultra Strong mega roll packaging and I can definitely say one roll can hold even more crap than any gospel.

Gah! No thanks. That wall of text bring back bad memories of badly written prose by authors who didn't know how to break up text and use white space. How old is this writing?

One thing editors do to check if the author is worth reading is to quickly thumb through the manuscript like a cartoon flipbook to get a sense of prose structure and the use of white space. Good authors know how break up their text and write succinctly and economically.

He won the Nobel Prize for this particular book 🙂 I am glad he didn't listen to his editors 🙂

@tsallinia that makes sense. Nobel prizes for literature is for highly experimental - and often, but not always, unreadable - writing.

@MakeItGood fair point

@tsallinia To be fair, Nobel Prizes in Literature are generally awarded for lifetime achievements, not for any particular book. If his case was different, I'm willing to stand corrected, but I haven't seen any evidence that it was.

@Gareth I think you are right Gareth. I was under the same impression, however I recently read a short bio of Saramago and it was implied that it was this book that started the discussions. I have to research it a bit more. Thanks for the useful comment.

Havent heard about it. I will look at the reviews and such. I will put it on my maybe list.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522427
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.