Agnostic.com

28 8

A question of perception

Why is it, do you think, that a large majority of religious people have so many misconceptions about atheists/agnostics? I mean, I understand that their books teach it, but one would think that thru everyday observation, a lot of that would be disproven. and im all for a bit of poking fun, but im serious. when I keep getting things like how can you think life is without purpose?!? I never said that! I do think life has a purpose, I just don't think it has 2 do with a god or allah or whatever! or the good old, how can you know right from wrong without god? like I don't go around eating babies and lighting small animals on fire every tuesday just because I don't believe in a god...ok, sorry, rant over...but I really would enjoy your insight on this.

Byrd 7 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Christians seem to have a really really really hard time understanding how there can be morality without a sky daddy. Don't get a believer started on objective morality.

I think the more agnostics and atheists who come out openly and participate positively in their communities will eventually change the perception. The more religious people who know atheists who are good positive contributers to society, the more the argument that we are all devil worshippers will evaporate.

Years ago, my Christian neighbor used to bring her "Jazzercise for Jesus" exercise tape over so we could bond over exercising, while our kids played with each other in the back yard. After a few weeks, I just had to tell her that I was Agnostic and very uncomfortable with the lyrics of the songs we were exercising to, so could we use my mainstream Jazzercise tape instead. She abruptly left and told her kids they were no longer allowed to play with my kids.

So, several days later, her kids were standing on the property line staring at my kids as they played under our big cedar tree. Finally my daughter asked what they were looking at. The neighbor kids said "We're waiting for you to drink blood!" Puzzled, my kids came in to ask what they were talking about. Ugh... Then this began to happen with the other neighbors too!

Months later, the mother next door was doing some hard labor in her yard, shoveling rocks, and was trying to get it done before it rained. (There was a stream we shared along the property line, we needed to line with rocks to satisfy the fish and wildlife agency.) So, I put on my rain jacket, got my wheelbarrow, shovel and gloves, and went out to help her. We worked silently side by side. She barely spoke, but she didn't tell me to stop.

Years later, in the middle of the night, I could here their car idling in the road near our driveway... I knew she was pregnant, and was wondering if she needed any help. So, I went out to ask if everything was okay - well her water had broke and they were waiting for a relative to come (from 40 minutes away) to watch their other 3 kids while they went to the hospital. I said "Go! I can surely sit in your living room until the relative arrived to take over." They went.

After the birth of their child, I wrote a little book of poems for her children, and sent it over as a baby warming gift. The mother just cried and asked how I could be so nice and yet an atheist. She had talked to her pastor about me - and said she just couldn't believe I'd be going to Hell because I was the most spiritual person she'd ever met! So, there came to be a little truce.

When our kids were in middle school, she and I actually were Co-Presidents of our Parent Teacher Organization together. So, people do change over time!

thank u! I 2 feel that with patient persistence eventually we will be seen as what we are, good and bad just like them. it is good 2 hear that things can change

Although I can't possibly know what goes on in someone else's mind, I think the biggest
reason the believers have such a negative impression of atheists/agnostics is because
we scare the crap out of them. We're a threat to them. They're afraid we're right.
They're afraid we know they're all full of shit, and their gods have never existed. Which we do.

We represent the reality they fear. We are upright evidence you can live without fantasy. We are the vote they didn’t get - and they want it.. We appear stronger, and they’re envious. Our doubt apparently fractures their fragil world…

What gets me is how much more accepting they are of other religions than they are of those simply living ‘without.’ I’ve noticed far more concern over my ‘not attending a church’ than if I were attending ‘that church.’ Yes, they’ll bicker among themselves if there are no Atheists to chase down, but we’re their primary targets and greatest fear all in one 🙂

Varn Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

Like is good, different is bad.
Not to mention what the bible and church teach them.

I think we are all on a path of some kind. The choices we make and the degree of effort we put in will ultimately determine where it goes. We do have some control on the outcome.

Hey, it's part of their indoctrination to shield themselves from threatening thoughts. Having a misconception that fits them is the easiest way. Why should they check their idea? they don't with their conception of their god either. They are not interested in everyday observation at all.

Gert Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

Religious theologians actually teach a false narrative about Atheism and Agnosticism. Your opening statement tells me you are still laboring under that.

"Why is it, do you think, that a large majority of religious people have so many misconceptions about atheists/agnostics?"

This tells me they are viewing Agnosticism and Atheism as points on a linear line, on the left, Theism, In the middle Agnosticism, and on the right Atheism, this is FALSE and INTENTIONAL by theologians.

A-Theism is a response to Theism, the a prefix denotes "lack of"
This is a position on belief, you have a belief in a God, or you lack a belief in God

A-Gnosticism is a response to Gnosticism, the A-prefix denotes lack of
This is a position on Knowledge, you claim to have knowledge of a God, or you claim to lack such knowledge of a God

Religion does not want to even acknowledge Gnosticism, because by doing so they have to admit Atheism (a lack of belief) has weight.

With the FALSE linear model, they teach followers that Atheists are COUNTERCLAIMING, claiming that Theists claim there is a God, Agnostics do not know, and Atheists claim there is no God. That is wrong both on linguistics and basic honesty.

Aren't all narratives on some level, false?

@Howcome I fail to follow your point.

Treat the Christians with respect. Whenver you can, quote scripture to uphold your points and to make them realize that they are not following their faith. And, point out to them that they are being both unchristian and disrespectful in their words about athiests -- but in a respectful manner.

It is a threat because it tickles that little doubt that most of them have. Blind faith is not an easy concept to accept, so l believe, except for the really ignorant, that most of them have some doubt about the whole thing.

You'd think with the scientific name of homo sapiens sapiens, they'd have a lot of doubt, wouldn't you?

It's all they know. And they are afraid of the unknown, so they hate us. They are so into their little community of people they see regularly, who think like them, and that is their life. That is their identity. That is who they socialize with. They see us as a threat .

It's not about you. It's about them. They have to tell themselves stories about you so they can live with themselves and their narrative.

They think we're mean. Some atheists/agnostics give us a bad name.

Why the dirth of misconceptions? I think it's because we have intentionally out-grouped ourselves. Religion is a source of community for many; a common ground for people who are otherwise strangers. We have shunned it. It isn't natural for one to actively separate one's self from the herd. So they make up explainations for this "aberrant" behaviour. And the other edge is the explainations are unflattering and cast a dim light on our decision as an example to other would be apostates.

"I don't go around eating babies" Do you really expect us to believe that?

i just laughed while drinking water, and almost turned in2 a fountain!

Because they are taught to. It really is just that simple. Preachers, pastors, priests et al, push the idea that "They are not like us! They let the devil in! They cannot be moral! They cannot be ethical!" I sat in on a similar sermon when I was a kid so I can say first hand I've heard it.

The churches that do not actually actively push the idea over the pulpit often say as much to the parishioners, who spread that around like a cold bug.

AmyLF Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Its because of blasphemy - thats a big one in the Bible

gater Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

I think a lot of believers have a misconception about non belief because they don't take the trouble to find out about it. I think there is a fear that they could challenge their own comfort zone. God is a safety net to them, they don't have to think for themselves, they let someone else do it. It is unenlightened and lazy, IMO 🙂

No one so far has looked at this the other way round, ie.consider how misinformed many Agnostics / Atheists / Skeptics are about the beliefs / practices of the numerous religions and groups (denominations) within those religions. I often find folk in our camps saying (and presumably believing) things which are a gross misrepresentation (I hope not usually deliberate).

Among the many examples I could give is referring to Christians in general as if they are all literalists and fundamentalists, when this applies to only a small minority of them (a loud and active minority) ---- ignoring the fact (it is fact) that a great many fully or at least partially accept the scientific world view ---- evolution, Old Age earth (millions of years) as opposed to Young Age (6 to 10 thousand years!); quantumn mechanics, astrophysics and the age of our universe and so on.

Better education and understanding all round is needed. In the UK (USA?) all State Schools (financed by taxpayers) have seen religious education evolve from Scripture and Biblical Studiesl ('indoctrination'😉, through RK ie. Religious Education, to the current Religion and Belief, in which Belief refers to alternatives to religion such as Atheism, Agnosticism, secular Humanism. Religion refers to alternative World Religions.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "everyday observation". Perception is a survival thing and they are being guided (programmed) in very sheltered environments that do not expose them to other beliefs before they are firmly tethered into the dogma. Not much different than tying an elephant to a chair really. Eventually they will stop trying to escape because of too many failed attempts during the programming years. The city I grew up in was run by Catholics, there was no way to observe others until school age and then many kids went to parochial schools so we may very well be the first independent thinker they ever met.

I don't think life has a purpose I think I have an might still be able to find many purposes for myself within my lifetime.

I think as long as I can still back myself and not need to feel guilty about anything I have said or done all will be well and as long as I can be apologetic if I did get to realise I was out of order at any time. ,all will be well. I also don't need a god to keep me from being a bad person . I still like the mantra' I am enough' 'I have enough'' I do enough'

I don't get this much - because maybe I don't have friends who would quiz me in this way - your story actually did make me laugh because I could imagine it - It does rather sound as if these people are a bit 2 dimensional and are needing to live a safe life. I don't really think life has a purpose I think I am purposeful in the minutes - and so give my life purpose;

So I am writing this now its thought out -purposeful; next I will be making purposeful dinner for my friend and I then I will do some shopping and gardening and washing - all purposeful - If there actually was a man called Jesus without the hype he would have needed a bit of dinner - I think I try to make the ordinary special because I do mostly the same things every day and its really up to me to make them purposeful and count it does at the end of hte day make me feel happy to see a weeded bed finished or a dinner plate washed up. Its enough!

oh my golly! i wish i had put it like that! that was pretty much my point, i don't think you have to be given a purpose, i think its something you create/find for yourself. thank you

Well, they are changing too. Glad that people can now verify and read science through internet. Just wait for more years. But I wish it were much faster and smoother. But again, we, human being are not rational.

They all disagree with each other in fundamaental ways, and those w ho hold strong beliefs in evangelical religions, consider it sinful even to doubt the slightest feature of the teachings of the faith.

There is many reasons but the main one to feel secure and be accepted by the society just like you can’t walk naked eve in the most modern and liberal countries.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52395
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.