Agnostic.com

16 6

Has someone asked you “Where do you go to church?”

Jproad 5 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

reply...."what's a church?"......priceless!

Where I live it just doesn't happen. Religious people seem to assume that all "good" people go to church but don't seem to be concerned where.

Not yet, but if they did, I'd quote my avatar, "My own mind is my own church." Thomas Paine, 'The Age of Reason'

"Another planet far, far away".

I have been asked that question, but only a handful of times, and only when the conversation was about religion anyway.

For context, I am in Washington state, which I am told is less religious than some other parts of the country.

I sometimes respond "the question presumes facts not in evidence" 🙂

Never

I'm 72 and l can't remember anyone asking me where or even if l go to church.

Yes, the last man I dated. We were a great match in every other way. And then he said that. When I told him I was an atheist, he cut the date short and would never speak to me again. There seems to be an automatic jump, especially in the US, from being an atheist to being a bad person. I'm sure it's true in some cases, and I'm equally sure that it's not true for the majority. I am in the position now where I don't have to give a shit what anyone thinks of me so I am vocal about my atheism. Hopefully this kind of bs will be behind us one day.

Only when I run into people from before my divorce.

Yes, but not for a very long time. I think it was more common "water cooler talk" when I worked in an office, or parent chatter when my daughter was in school, but I've worked from home for years.

🤣 I live in the South...practically in Alabama. When you meet someone here you're almost always asked what church you attend. It's a status thing, in reality.

it truly is. they wonder if your from earth or mars. it really confuses and even scares people sometimes to not be a churchgoer, much less a non-believer.

Not me but I am sure it is common.

At one time, I went to attend a bank branch's opening in the neighborhood with my 8 years old on a Saturday. The bank manager and I chatted for some time. He later pulled out a church card from the pocket and said he loves this church and loves the pastor.

On the way out, i threw it in the bank's trash can. I was hoping he would see it but made sure to explain to the daughter that this is where these things belong.

When people asked me what is your greatest achievement, especially my friends ask me from back home overseas, "what have you accomplished in life or since you came to the U.S.?" My answer has always been.. "I raised an atheist daughter." I enjoy the answer every time. (translation - brought one non-idiot in to the world).

I like to tell them I'm Muslim! Watch their head explode.

I really should try this here. 😂

@Dorkyndaft Got that from Bad Santa. Neighbor knocked on door to distribute luminaries for holidays. Billy Bob said, "we don't celebrate Xmas, we're Muslim"

Not for a very long time, certainly not since my mother died

"Mattress Springs" ain't a bad response if you wanna be a little clever about it. long time since I've had an occasion to answer that question.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524219
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.