Agnostic.com

33 7

What's the worst piece of advice someone has given you?

I once came to a high school counselor really upset because I had received a high B in my AP Calculus class for the first semester (it was a two semester long course). I told her how upset I was because I thought I'd fail if I had to take another semester (this was my first B ever in a math course), she agreed with me that I would probably fail and recommended I drop the class.
I wish she would have reassured me that I would have been fine. I had to take calculus again a couple years later for my degree because I didn't get credit for it back in high school since I dropped the course.

Mea 7 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“Stay together for the kids”

Trust in the Lord!

My high school guidance councilor. He told me that going to school for Biology would be a waste of time. I would never get a job in it. I needed to consider the military.

Years later he attended one of my lectures on Biodiversity.

I'm almost finished with my bachelor's in Biology! 🙂

@Mea
I have gone from being a professional NY State Naturalist, to Fisheries Tech with GaDNR, to a Conservation Planner with NRCS/USDA, and now I am an Environmental Compliance Officer with Newton County. And this is in spite of never actually getting a degree. I do have enough college coursework for a Masters but I switched schools a lot and so didn't complete a sanctioned curriculum at a single school. My diverse college background and OTJ training and extraneous training courses made me way better qualified for my current position which draws from environmentalism, conservation, agriculture, law enforcement, and construction.

"Everything happens for a reason. God helps those who help themselves." Of course thats just doing something yourself and then giving god credit 😀.

"Never have sex with someone more than 10 years older than you or more than 10 years younger than you". That was never a problem in my experience.

"Be yourself". Apparently I'm a pretty shitty person.

"Wait on God." - It's a very passive outlook and if I did, or when I did, nothing would get accomplished.

Pray about

Walk away from your house and move into low income housing = from my Mother's lips -to my response of "fuck you."

"She seems fine, you two should get married"

i was told when i was pregnant with my first son, that i should have an abortion because i was young, unmarried, and didnt believe in a god. she said normally she doesnt believe in abortion, but since i don't believe in a god, nobody will want 2 adopt my child when i fail 2 be a good mother...he is 15 now and a pleasure 2 be around. im happy with the job im doing so im glad i didnt listen 2 that piece of advice.

Byrd Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Wow, that was terrible advice, and very discouraging. Sorry for your experience! Perhaps your parents should've followed up with the counselor and principal.

Lol, my parents weren't super involved. It doesn't matter much now since I'm getting ready to graduate with my degree now! 🙂

@Mea Congratulations on your degree 🙂

When i was 19 and had recently become a Christian i met a girl, began dating her and likewise over time came to love her. Because i was sleeping with her the Christian(s) that had influenced my thinking to the point of conversion all advised me "get out of the relationship" as a matter of prioritizing my spiritual life...

The check is in the mail.

"Hey, hold onto this wire for a second."

That bowling would be fun.

Hold my beer?????

Pray about it

Brush your teeth and everything else will take care of itself.

"You should marry that girl."

JimG Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

Dont worry Trump gonna MAGA.

Well there was my botched eye surgery last year. Beyond that, this virtual page is not long enough.

A friend talked me out of quitting college when I had no business being there and I knew it.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Wow, calculus was tough, but , I must admit I skipped too many classes...
I wish I had a do over ..
.lol

When I was in high school, we still had slide rules....lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52463
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.