Agnostic.com

8 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course it's a good thing. The age of enlightenment might be around the corner.

Finally

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 28, 2020

Nice that they have other options than joining a cult for socialization.

They say it is because social media give them identity, rather than getting it from their religion. But another factor could be that social media broadens their horizons, rather like travel. One of the great props of religion especially in the US, I always thought, was that Americans were statistically the least traveled nation in the developed world. It is much easier to think that people from other cultures are going to hell, when you don't know any people beyond your own county boundary.

That's me ☺

A thickening of the thin end of the wedge, perhaps, as it gets driven in. Europe has certainly reached a far fatter wedge sector.

Is it true that many European countries collect a tax for church goers?

@Lorajay Some countries do have a "church tax" or "worship tax" which is levied by the state on behalf of the religious group in which you are registered as a member. It is usually between 1 and 2 percent of one's income. However, it is a "voluntary" tax in that individuals can withdraw their membership of any or all groups.
The idea is to help churches to survive whilst retaining separation of church and state.
However, some nations also make an annual donation to the state's official church, which is really not on, as it means everyone, even atheists, are supporting a religion. I think Germany is one such nation.
Spain and Portugal used to do so, but that is no longer the case.
The UK most decidedly does not. You might find this interesting;-
[theguardian.com]

@Petter Actually that's a little scary because there's 17% that identify as other Christian which could be evangelicals.

Yes, that is good. They are finding community and belonging outside of religious groups. Unfortunately, religious affiliation for African Americans and those who identify as politically conservative declined the least across the different generations.

A lot of community can be obtained from "Clappy Happy" church go-ing, which might explain why the decline is lower in some groups.

Yes, interesting. This trend has been noted in research for some time. I think the factors are many, and some are noted here. Of interest to me will be the impact of this pandemic on younger generations. Subjectively of course I hope the impact may promote affirmation of science and evidence thinking. But objectively it will take time before the long term impact is known of what we are going through on young people and religion generally. To me, religion has not looked good during this crisis. We will just have wait for the research to filter through.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528632
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.