Agnostic.com

8 2

Are there any atheist's or agnostics out there like me who enjoy gospel music. I think the song" People get Ready" By the Impressions is one of the all time greats. And the great Bob Marley was a rasta who sang a lot about Jah Rastafarie.

nowhereman55 7 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a musician. Music has no religion, music IS my religion. I guess that makes me a humanist. Music is usually a part of worship. A lot of classical music was written for the church. They could afford to support the musicians, composers and house the pipe organs and bell towers.

I used to play with a partner. I found it funny that the first thing we ever played on stage together was "Dear God" by XTC, and 10 years later, the last thing we played on stage together in our original incarnation was "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison.

I was a Christian Radio DJ in the early 80's. I do like a lot of the music even if the message really is irrelevant to me now. This one always stuck with me as one of the most beautiful compositions I've ever heard.

Duke Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

I like gospel music and hymns

I still like what I like. A lot of tunes for christian songs were lifted from older secular music, with religious lyrics added, anyway. I tend to be a tune person, so I guess it makes sense.

Zster Level 8 Nov 26, 2017

I grew up on Christian music, and there are still artists that I enjoy, even to this day. Not gospel though. That was never one of my choices. But bands like Second Chapter, Petra, Steve Taylor, I still listen to from time to time.

There's some really great religious based music out there. After all, most of the timeless works created by such composers as Mozart, Bach, Betthoven and Mahler up through modern composers such as Nystedt have their basis in christian doctrine.

It's been rough sledding of late though. Most of that christian rock stuff is just awful.

Yes, I've often found myself enjoying the gospel music, despite my lack of belief in the deity. Then again, my music preferences are pretty broad as well.

I have often found myself enjoying folk music promoting communism in my native language, despite my political beliefs not aligning with communism.

Music is communication, it speaks to us. Sometimes it's the melody that elicits a reaction and sometimes it's the lyrics. If it makes your toe tap or has you humming along then it's enjoyable. Nothing wrong with that. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Nov 26, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.