Agnostic.com

31 10

Why isn't there a better word for "miracle" that doesn't have religious connotations?

Sure, according to the dictionary definitions "miracle" doesn't have to hand religious connotations but I've found in real life most people would say it does.

Personally I feel like it is fine too wish for a non religious "miracle". An extraordinary bout of good fortune, that one in a hundred occurrence that happens to only one in a hundred. I guess one could say "good luck" but afterwards does one just say again "it was good luck" or "excellent luck" or "you're so lucky" etc.? I'm not sure. The list of synonyms for miracle isn't very helpful either... [merriam-webster.com]

Basically I wish there was a noun for the phenomenon that is an instance of good fortune without any assumption of divine intervention. Luck can work but it certain circumstances it just seems inappropriate to me . M

prometheus 7 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Illustrating that it cannot be one word. Religion has cornered the "simplistic thinking is ' best ' market yet again.

After I solve all my other problems I'll try to solve this mystery.

Good luck with that!

chance, coincidence, luck, 20 roll for ... (sorry a DnD player student was playing basketball and snuck up on another player stealing the ball, I called out roll 20 for stealth and he grinned like anything.)

to be fair the Bible does go into how miracles are for the lost (believers, iow, although that is mostly obscured)

There is.

<iframe class="video" type="text/html" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed//W6MkESn1v1w?rel=0&showinfo=1&color=white&iv_load_policy=3&start=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen>
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.