Agnostic.com

22 18

How are you managing feeling isolated during the pandemic?

Feeling sad and stuck indoors with hazardous-level wildfire smoke, I got busy. This morning, the coffee maker was burbling a rapid, syncopated cha-cha rhythm. Grinning, I danced a fast cha-cha across the kitchen to the coffee pot. Great way to start the day!

"What are you doing?" Claire asked in an appalled voice, as in "What's wrong with you, Mom?" I was leaning over a cup of coffee on the kitchen counter, cautiously sipping without picking it up. "I filled the cup too full," I explained. Laughed when she rolled her eyes. That was two weeks ago on my birthday.

"Don't rain on my parade," has been my message to Claire since she was a .

Do things that bring you joy. Since I feel trapped like a wild animal, I started jump-roping in the kitchen yesterday. What a klutz! I'm good for five minutes of fast jump roping. Hope to increase the time to 30 minutes. Eventually.

Exercise raises your endorphin hormone level that elevate your mood.

Reading has been a solace and joy since childhood. It distracts and medicates my busy mind.

Have resumed playing flute. Playing music also makes you feel good.

[aqicn.org]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Self-identifying as a hermit, the isolation is heaven to me. I have not left my property in more than 6 months!!! I have no idea what the world looks like on the outside other than from what I see on TV and online. However, I've been busy that entire time working 2 jobs. My business is essential service so we've been open the whole time. My business is on our property so no need to go elsewhere. Because we are tourism related somewhat business has been slower so I picked up more tutoring jobs (I tutor for the county's adult learning program). I tutor via Zoom or other online means. The rest of the time I've been busy seeking financial assistance to stay afloat during these devastating and unpredictable times. Oh yes, we've decided to use only one of our vehicles for the time being to reduce insurance costs. Since I can't drive the SO's massive truck, he gets to be the one to go out and fetch mail and necessities.

I had planned on taking online courses, reading/listening to books, and playing the piano my friend had given me for free. But alas, I've been much too busy. Mind you, we live on 17.5 acres of rural land with our 50 plus pets and numerous and varied wildlife occupying our fields, woods, and pond. So I don't ever feel the need to go anywhere else. I do understand the wildfire situation though. Last year, the smoke was so bad it looked like we were living on Mars, the sky was so red and hazy.

I keep reminding myself there are worse things than being alone .....

Like being in bad company with no means of escape!! .... Yup! WORSE!!! Definitely worse!

I like to fantasize about Biden winning the election and Trump being charged with 200,000 cases of negligent homicide and being found guilty.

@Willow_Wisp

Agreed. VOTE BLUE!

Would I love to see that!!

Pandemic does nothing to change my isolation position. Now, more people have a little bit of an ideal of my life. No freedom to do things I would like to have freedom to do.

Word Level 8 Sep 14, 2020

By volunteering

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 14, 2020

What types of organizations do you volunteer with?

@JenBeberstein Delaware reserve medical Corp Have administered covid testing, first aid at food banks, in the vaccination group when vaccine is ready, also medical at some shelters

I love being alone, so I'm good. The stigma of being a hermit is removed during the pandemic, as it's actually seen as virtuous to keep to myself as much as I do.

The air is clear where I am, so I do go out to enjoy food and music, the beach, walks and I chat with neighbors at the pool in our complex. I actually have time to enjoy my life, since I'm hardly working at all lately.

I've got no neighbors below me, so nobody can hear me practicing hula or rocking out dancing to my favorite tunes. I haven't gotten bored yet!

Not feeling all that isolated… Just got home from helping friends move a wood stove, all with masks, till the beer arrived.. Big group gathering last weekend distributing (and waving) Biden/ Harris signs. Delivered a shitload of them to individuals the week before, meeting some fantastic people … at a distance.

Cruise around on my motorcycle (too much) often.. Still looking for a ‘fit woman’ to help me determine if ‘one would fit’ between my back seat and ‘top box.’ This shit’s not slowing me down … sat with a neighbor this evening, compared our mowing jobs (both mowed today), before handing off another Biden/ Harris sign. I’m gonna make 2020 count if it kills me! 😀

Varn Level 8 Sep 14, 2020

@Varn

Bravo! As a lifelong Democrat, we need to vote Trump and Republicans out of office. Followed by prison for Trump.

I've been socially isolated pretty much my whole life. It really didn't take much to get used to life during a pandemic. It's probably the only apocalyptic scenario in which I'll do alright.

Now, when the zombie pandemic happens I won't make it for very long. I'm slow, fat, and probably very tender and delicious.

I really haven't felt terribly isolated. Especially now that school has started and I'm
helping the 7 year old with 2nd grade.
Ever since school closed in March, I've pretty much had my hands full daily.

@Gwendolyn2018 I don't have the energy to be in a club.
🤣

I'm rebuilding a house whoopee

That actually sounds pretty awesome!

@JenBeberstein It's to much like work.😉

I have a lot of work-at-home-new job to keep me busy, ebay store, facebook, my mom, and this forum. I have friends to watch movies/ videos/shows in chat rooms/fb with. It's hard though.

I exercise in the morning and dance the rest of the day and play with and CARE for the little one and Frankie too.. Sometimes we have a little picnic in Central park away from others on the grass...

i keep trying to elevate my mood with McDonald's Happy Meals.

That has never worked for me, they should call them Sad Meals!

I did this, eating every day once at Dairy Queen, and ended up with a diabetes diagnosis. Be careful what you eat there. I think there was a movie about a guy who ate there every meal for a month, it almost killed him.

Sounds like you’re compensating the best you can.

I've worked two jobs basically the entire time. My regular job and I've helped a not for profit fix their books. The gal that they fired was fired with more than good reason. I thought they were the worst mess I'd ever seen until my current assignment with the "real" job. Now I know there are many that are a mess. At least the not for profit is remote.

I've walked almost daily....a mile or two, depends if I feel like going around the block twice or once. It's a BIG block 🙂.

What little time remains has been spent crocheting, reading, puzzling, playing guitar, fixing a cedar chest, and helping my son work on an antique (66) oldsmobile.

People are coping with this? 😕

Actually, this is how I’m coping. My first car since 09/20/2009!

You seem to be doing well, those details help us a lot. I treat myself to a cup of espresso once or twice a day and really enjoy the aroma, the taste sip by sip; I put upbeat music, a little dance going to the kitchen and back. Then Agnostic on a daily basis, documentaries, some good shows, a book. On the good side I have the company of my wife and son, but on the bad side they both lost their jobs. I try to find or make myself happy moments, day by day...

I am an outlier.

Growing up, my siblings were older (7 and 9 years) so psychologically I am an only child; they were rarely around and I have almost no memory of them. I learned to enjoy my own company, and I have an active mind and a high level of intellectual curiosity. I read a lot then, and still do.

Fast forward to today. I already worked from home, and while I enjoy company when I worked in an office I found most of the conversations inane. I don't miss them. I am used to being with myself, like my own company. I did miss the gym, but it is now reopened for outdoor workouts.

So net, I don't need to do anything. I am fine, and have been throughout. I am fortunate.

@Mitch07102

Like you, reading has been a solace and joy since childhood. It distracts and medicates my busy mind.

Being deeply absorbed in a book gave relief from my chaotic family. Reading takes me into another world.

" If I said your hair is on fire, you wouldn't hear me," my sister said.

Friday nights I try and catch Beaker Street - 60-70's Classic Rock radio program live online from Arkansas with the original DJ "Clyde Clifford" playing the best music ever recorded - not sure what he played - maybe Santana or Jethro Tull? ...but I was having a little wine and cheese and dancing alone in my kitchen - while waiting for my pickles in the canner on the stove...

I spend a lot of time interacting with people online, here and elsewhere. Lots of video phone calls. I take people on live video tours in my car.

At home I'm alone bur my wife is finally returning from Wuhan, China on 10/11. I drive for Uber and have seldom felt lonely or isolated.

I have an older friend who is isolating at his cabin on a nearby creek. He has this amazing hobby where he electrocutes wood to add lightning bolt like burn patterns. I have been bringing him food and woodworking supplies (stain, polyurethane, etc) in exchange for wood burning lessons. I believe these lessons may have inspired my next side hustle. I just need to budget in a few tools and some supplies of my own.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:534177
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.