Agnostic.com

14 3

Is there any practical benefit whatsoever in voting blue (versus not voting or voting third party) in a solidly red state that isn’t Maine or Nebraska?

skado 9 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How many voters are you attempting to demotivate?

None.

I answered below but here is a bit more detail: The country deeply needs to send a message to white supremacists, etc etc that WE are Not happy with the things that have happened in these last 4 horrible years! Sheer numbers, regardless 9of how your state goes (and there may easily be surprises!) Will help in policy decisions in the future...politicians pay a lot of attention to these numbers!

Can voting for the cheeto be seen as anything but treason? I mean we are talking about the end of the America I have come to love. What do we do as a people if this fascist wins, it will be the end of all that we have come to call America. Everything will be for sale, if one does not have the money to pay for something, while there are no jobs that pay anything one can live on. More of what is going on now. I have no idea what to do in that case, you have to do what is best for you.

I read the posts below and what to say that the number of people voting for Biden does matter. The more people who vote for him, the more that did not vote for Asshole. If Biden gets fifty million votes more than the idiot then it will be hard for the Electoral College will have trouble actually voting this idiot in, no matter what the vote is.

Voting for Trump isn't one of the options being considered in this post.

I believe it is Extremely important for the sheer numbers of those voting against what drump stands for is Very important for our nation's well-being...."soul" if you will!
This is the time to be counted!

Voting for Biden will increase the popular vote for him. If Biden wins the number of popular votes for him will be considered as part of his political capital. He needs all the capital he can get to undo the crap created by trump.

I don't have to vote again? I can just tune this crap out?
Wheww, that's a relief. I hope someone votes McGrath in and gets that asshole McConnell out of office.
I read the question correctly. Just being a smart ass here.

I'm not convinced there is any state "solidly red".
A lot of blueish people don't bother to vote because they're told their state is "solidly red". How many of them are there? Don't know unless everyone votes.
(I note you're in AL...didn't you guys elect a D senator a few years ago?...not indicative of "solid" )

re. 3rd party votes...
Vote 3rd party if you're truly on-board with the candidate and their platform...otherwise...
with regards to blocking R's or D's, a 3rd party vote is a throw-away...3rd parties rarely get as much as 2-3% of the total vote...

No. The DNC will use you and your vote. They’ll lay the blame for their loss on everything but their failure to rally behind popular policies that uplift the poor and working masses. They’ll fundraise off you under the guise of fending off fascism, while they uphold the deadly for-profit health, prison, immigration, higher education, fossil fuel and financial systems that keep 100 million souls at or near poverty levels.

No.

No, if you aren't in a swing state, there is no need to award your vote to an undeserving party.

If you vote third party, at least your vote is recorded as unwilling to give consent to the major party but still willing to participate. If a third party gets enough votes, it will allow them to be on the debate stage next time and that is a big deal because it will do much to put alternative ideas out there which are outside of the duopoly.

I have no objection to a 3rd party advancing to the highest office in the land. I do have an objection to it popping up in the presidential races year after year and skewing the votes in favor of the person I least want. I'm looking forward to a progressive party that will start at the grassroots level and build local support and show people what it can do then move to the state level races and again show people the benefits of their policies. If that had started during the Bush years, they would already be a possible national party. Instead they have just become a perennial party pooper.

@Lorajay

I'd like to see a successful grassroots progressive party as well.

Until that option is available, I've no choice but to vote for the candidate that best aligns with my values. Which happens to be a third party. I wish everyone else would do the same, we could break the duopoly that way.

I suppose it depends on each situation. Remember what happened with roy moore, enough people worked to get people registered, helped get them them to the polls to vote. Boots on the ground to over come the shut down of places to get registered and polling places and it worked. It takes a lot of effort to over come apathy and the active pursuit of voter suppression.
Like atheists/agnostics we're out there but an accurate count is difficult to come by.

All votes uncast, or wasted on third party candidates are votes for Trump and his fascists!

That's not how voting works.

Didn't you hear the Chinese and USPS will conspire to steal and incinerate truck loads of red votes so your blue votes will count.

Either way you should follow the President's advice to vote not once but twice (at least).

If I were in a solidly red or blue state I might vote green.

Although any vote for Biden just strenghtend the overall defeat if Trump does in fact lose. If it's close people will be shouting about how many votes there were on each side..

MsAl Level 8 Sep 15, 2020

Maybe not practical but more for myself. Just knowing I had my say and it was counted (even if not the winning side).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:534302
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.