Agnostic.com

36 2

Is sports useful?

What does sports provide that is useful? Does it provide anything useful and if it does can it be reproduced more efficiently by other activities?

Riteous 4 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very Much so in High School and College. Professional Sports has turned into a drug fueled weekend circus hosted by tail gate parties, riots, fights and overpaid participants who end up being bad role models for the youth of our country or any other for that matter.

Love football. Love sports. Provides opportunity for commeraderie, team spirit and careers for athletes.

It helps with teamwork (working together) and division (us vs. them).

Health and entertainment. Can the other activities produce these benefits more efficiently? I don’t know, the answer seems highly subjective.

It CAN be useful. It can be a form of exercise, both mental and physical. The competition aspect can be a motivator, as long as it is not emphasized to the point of "win at all cost," especially in young kids.

It's entertainment.

I dunno if it's useful but I love basketball.

No. It promotes tribalism and stupid differences over a flag or some such. Blow it off.

Personally, it's very important to me I really enjoy playing and watching....I really don't understand the reproduced efficiently part of your question.

For many it has entertainment value. For others it's a means of exercise. It can also be rehersal for combat, and it has commercial value. You knew all of this, though. Right?

Team sports are simulated warfare. That is possibly the appeal to men. Somthing like womens basketball, (I heard that there is such a thing) it is more likely the social activity of paticipation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53490
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.