Agnostic.com

18 2

What would cause you to lay down your life willingly?

What scenario would you say," this is worth dying for." Would you save the life of a child you don't even know? Would you do it for your spouse? Would you do it for a cause?

paul1967 8 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For someone I love.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

For my kids.

My daughters

Hmmm.... to much thought there. I give up paul.

My babies. They aren't of course...they are grown ups but in a heartbeat. They will never know. They are my world

I think that is amazing

Definitely my babies. They are pieces of my heart running around outside my body. I don't know how I would breathe without them.

Nothing.

I may put myself in harm's way to defend a loved one or myself, but I am not 'willing' to die for anyone.

I started to write nor would I kill, but I'm not sure that is true - I might well kill if it was the only way for me to stay alive.

Until the situation arises, I am not sure that any of us know how we would actually react.

Honest! I agree with your response, I say and I believe to the core of my humanity that I would gladly end my life today to save a child's life, but until such time as I am faced with that, I can't know if I would live up to that conviction. I'm fairly sure I would at my age, but maybe not in my younger days. I'm not looking forward to death. but it's not something I worry about much anymore.

I thought carefully about my response, and realised that if I am not alive I could never know whether my sacrifice had been successful. I like to think I am indestructable and would be the hero that would save the day without being killed - but until that time arrives it is just speculation.

I have worked with people who were sure they would fight in a given situation, but when it happened could do nothing but freeze. We all react differently and often differently to what we think we would do.

@Uncorregated.

I tend to agree with this answer. I feel that there are noble causes out there, and idealistically I would like to be able to say that there are things that I would sacrifice myself for, but...

I am also a survivor of a violent assault in my workplace, and I realize that the heroics that take place in one's own idealism, and the realism that happens in one's self-preservation and survival instincts are often in conflict when push comes to shove.
I would make no boasts. I would believe that this would depend on the circumstances and what my abilities to act would be in the given situation.

@Uncorrugated I know first hand that what you're saying is true because I have frozen instead of acting like a hero. I was five, and my dog ran out into the street, I saw the truck speeding down the street, and I froze with fear. I literally couldn't get my legs to move. I watched as my dog was blown into many parts right in front of my eyes. My mind wanted to act, but something more primal took over and flat-out stopped me from acting. I'm glad it did, but my point is that I think most of us are wired for survival unless it's your kin and even then sometimes we freeze.

As a former soldier, we all knew that could be asked of us, and accepted the fact. If I were convinced that my action would result in saving someone else, I would so act. If my death would advance a human cause I truly believe in as moral and needed, I would.

Two things, First thank you from the deepest part of my heart for serving, my words don't do my feelings justice. The second thing may be an inappropriate question so please forgive me if it is, my inappropriate question filter is broken. If you knew sacrificing your life would save the life of a child or infant, but the infant was the child of the opposing side would you still do it? My answer to that, if I were in that situation, would be, of course. The child has no accountability in the affairs of that war.

@paul1967 Yes, I would risk my life to save a child of the enemy if that child were not trying to kill me or my comrades.

Imediate family or close friend.

There are a lot of things and people I would die for willingly. I'm fairly certain there is absolutely nothing I would kill for.

If I was terminally ill or for my children. That’s if I knew the only outcome was my death.

I would probably do some damn risky things in order to save another human, especially a child (think running into a burning building or jump into a river, etc.)

You have my respect!

@paul1967 thanks, i have a ridiculously strong sense of nurturing. It can be embarrassing. I once had to stop myself from asking a coworker if he needed a warmer jacket. He was a grown ass man. ?

@Marcie1974 You have the great gift of empathy, and all I can say is never lose that gift, but be aware of the people who would take advantage of your empathy.

@paul1967 yes I’ve learned a few hard lessons about being taken advantage of. But overall I think my empathy is probably my best quality and is the one I’m most proud of.

I'd take a bullet for my wife or daughter or my grandchildren. I think most people have several close family members on that list.

I would only take a bullet for my mother in law if it richoceted off my kevlar vest and hit her, though.

Christians sometimes like to argue that their belief system must be valid because early Christians willingly died for it, and they wouldn't put their life on the line for a lie. They conveniently forget about Jonestown, the Branch Davidians, Heaven's Gate, any modern Muslim suicide bomber, and a thousand other things they consider lies that people have happily given up their lives for. Or the soldiers that are regularly induced to march to their deaths in a thousand wars. People give up their lives all the time for things that are good, bad, and indifferent.

All it requires is sufficient empathy, misplaced or not, for someone else or for your future self. Empathy for your future self is what allows you to not eat that chocolate cake you really want, because you want to be thinner in the future. It also allows you to imagine yourself in paradise with 72 virgins if you blow up a bus-full of infiidels, unfortunately.

That was well said, especially the part about your mother-in-law (just kidding) I agree with 100% of what you had to say.

Literally nothing, one life one shot, I'm hanging on lol

Honest! Admirable. I would, at my age, I don't know if I would have at your age and I certainly don't think I would have been as honest about it as you were. So respect points for that.

Honestly don't know till I was in that situation.

I feel the same way, how can you predict what your reaction would be in that type situation.

That's a fair statement but I think some people just know (believe) they would in certain cases. I believe I would in the case of a child. My conviction right now, not being faced with it, is yes I would give my life to save a child. @buzz13

Heart attack

My son. The world rises and sets on that boy, as far as I'm concerned. My spouse, as well . I really don't know if I would risk my life to save a stranger, even a child. I'd like to think I would, but I am not sure.

Here's one thing people say, "I disagree with you but I will defend with my life your right to say it!." If you are, say, a white supremicist spouting your hatred and the crowd is clamoring to lynch you, I will rise up. . . step away and let them have you. To die your own beliefs might be noble, but to die for someone else's stupid belief is ridiculous.

I will defend with my life the right for that white supremacist to say what he says. I will, for a very selfish reason. If we allow anybody's freedom to speak to out to be silenced, we are setting the precedence for our right to speak out to be silenced. I am not standing up for the words being spoken, I'm standing up for the right to speak out.

I've never had to face such a situation, but I believe I would do so to protect the lives of those I love. As for causes, it's easy to casually cast about statements that one would give their life for a cause, but I think things would have to get pretty bad (in the US) before I reached such a point. Here, we (still) have it good enough that the vast majority live in varying degrees of comfort. If freedoms in the US were eroded to the point of oppression it would probably motivate me to risk my life to restore freedom.

That I could lay down my life for...the child!

Me too 🙂 and without hesitation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53650
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.