Agnostic.com

37 20

You'd think this was a religious website.

By joining this website, I thought I'd get to escape from religion. Instead, it has recently become a nonstop barrage of posts about Christianity and God. It gets tiresome.

My tipping point was when a man posted, "Which is more EVIL, Christianity or Islam and WHY?" Warlike and negative.

I make a point of not beating a dead horse. Instead I post about hikes, healthy recipes, funny and uplifting stories. Also write about Democratic causes.

Seems like my hiking posts are a drop in an ocean of religious blather. As a lifelong atheist, apparently I need to join a different website.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know what you mean. I really do appreciate your posts, and maybe I should post more about what I am doing in my life. I do tend to try to ignore people that are ranting about religion

I’m grateful for your posts! And also tired of all the religious posts!

I post about those all the time

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 23, 2020

As in science nature, jokes. I don't post religious questions

Like you, * left religion behind long ago, and do not wish to be bothered by it in any way.

I don't see many religious posts. I find it more bothersome to see those discussing trying to "logic" someone out of being a believer, as if the post-writer has some magical insight or just can't understand how believers can be so dumb or some other similar line of drivel. But overall, the site is OK.

I think they should make it easier to exclude conversations you're not interested in. Something short of only seeing posts from specific groups.

But it seems unrealistic to expect a site called agnostic.com to not have a significant amount of chat about religion vs. chat about all kinds of stuff by people who happen to not be theists. There are however a great number of groups tucked away on this site. Many are quiet but some far more focused.

PS. I used to attend a group called Beer not God and we almost never talked about religion. I actually found that somewhat frustrating - noone seemed too interested in the great existential and philosophical questions of life the universe and everything. For sure you could usually start a conversation about religion but for the most part being in real life they seldom flammed up or lasted long, unlike like threads do here for days and weeks.

I feel that for many it's a way to justify their "conversion" away from dogma. For others, surrounded by religious zealots, it's an escape haven.
Of course, It's also fun to satirise the anomalies, such as the preacher who claimed he prayed for RBG's death, thus going against the very tenets of his religion.

ANOMALY

On his congregation
Venting his ire,
The evangelist prays for
Brimstone and Fire.

He does not see
The anomaly;
Christ taught Peace ..
... and Harmony.

©Petter Finne

Praise God! Oops. It is all the more reason we need you to stay. I have noticed it too. Perhaps some of them might actually learn something!

May I humbly suggest the following:

1. Continue being your authentic self, and treat the site like a radio or TV
    (stick to the "channels" and "stations" you prefer = (Groups)

2.Don't indulge on subjects/topics that you're not interested in.
If you're not interested in the posts of the current groups, join other groups
and/or start some of your own (if you haven't already done so)

1. Each member may be at a different place in their journey, and will express
    themselves accordingly.

Last, but certainly not least: I hope you don't leave, but if you do you will definitely be missed 🙂

@GoodMan

Thank you. That's helpful. I appreciate your kind words.

@LiterateHiker You're most certainly welcome!

This website is called agnostic not atheist.

Religion... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

I see very little discussion on here about religion. I think I may be one of the only people around here bringing up the subject of helping widows and orphans while avoiding worldly corruption.

Agnostic does not know about God thingies.
Agnostic by definition and premise implies that given the knowledge they would then know about God thingies. However, it does say, "it could never be known". This illogical statement could be evidenced incorrect if it were known. So, to say "it could never be know" is not the same as saying "I never want to know". Forsure, most people I come across that are moreso agnostic rather than atheist are still open to the possibility of knowing that I exist.

There is a difference. Atheist by definition and premise reject. Agnostics are not specifically opposed.

You say, "Instead I post about hikes, healthy recipes, funny and uplifting stories. Also write about Democratic causes.

Apparently I need to join a different atheist website."

I don't see anything wrong with you discussion topics. They don't specifically have anything to do with helping widows and orphans, not saying all topics must cover helping widows and orphans.

Maybe you discussion about Democrats could help end politics thus doing a lot to end worldly corruption. Then everyone on Earth could enjoy their own brick home built by true masons, free from mortgage, free from rent. free from taxation, free from governmental terrorism and free from religious oppression [atheist definition of religion ].

Word Level 8 Sep 23, 2020

The site is called Agnostic because that was the available domain name Admin took out. It is NOT an agnostic site. How often do we have to point this out to agnostics like you and Middle Way? You want an entirely agnostic site then go look for one, now.

@David1955 I am not specifically complaining about "atheist " being on this site. How do you seem to get information turned around all backwards and illogical? I am not the one complaining, as the original post is. The original poster is the one complaining not me.

Then, I am unaware of @themiddleway 's specific stance on this issue. If you want to bring him up on this issue out of the blue(as in his name had not been mentioned until you brought it up) why don't you actually tag him for his comments on the issue directly.

@David1955 The social network for atheists, agnostics & skeptics. www.agnostic.com

@Word wait a minute, you said "This website is called agnostic not atheist." How was that relevant? Yes, the site is " for atheists, agnostics & skeptics" of course, but the reference to the domain name was not relevant. The poster is complaining about discussion about religion on this site. One can discuss that as one sees fit. He was not drawing any distinction between agnostics or atheists on this site discussing religion, only that he finds this kind of discussion tiresome. That's his opinion. He didn't raise agnosticism compared to atheism, you did, and it was irrelevant.

@David1955

First, it would appear to me the original poster identifies as a She, not a he.

Second, you wrongfully accuse me of by saying "He [sic] didn't raise agnosticism compared to atheism, you did...". Where as stated in original post, "As a lifelong atheist, apparently I need to join a different website." Brought up distinction to be specifically atheist. So then my comments follow as I wrote that agnostic is not so rejecting of god thingie discussion, where as atheist maybe more so quit to find the god thingie discussion tiresome.

Otherwise, do you really think there is a point of continuing discussion on this tangent?

@Word No

I sympathize. I am post religion. I have been for years. It's just boring. I enjoy your posts one of the few left I read.

@Bigwavedave

Thank you, Dave. I appreciate you.

I joined because it is an atheist group, mainly restrain my horror of religion, but not always. Hope you don't leave. Enjoy your adventure stories, and photos, that bring pleasure....if you go....you will be missed.

@HankSherman

Awww..... Thank you, Hank.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:536778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.