Agnostic.com

14 37

Every religious person is also an atheist...

OldMetalHead 9 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

so, believe it or not the YHWH of the Bible does not even seek to be "worshipped" in the manner we are usually told, and also does not apparently feel any desire to "exist" in the literal manner we might think now; although mostly between the lines, but also in direct statements such as "Unknown God"

i guess Jews were considered atheists by Romans, bc they had no Idol in their "holy of holies"
of course Christians now are all in a Jesus Cult or whatever, cult of sol

but imo it is maybe important to remember that these were ppl who were sacrificing their children to Molech, a "god?" So really regardless of "exist, don't exist," its at least as much about the effects of said "god" imo

Or,

1. create in your mind the God figure that you believe fits you best,
  2. make this 'god' of yours completely Invisible, Intangible, Undetectable, etc, etc,
  3. convince others that yours IS the ONLY TRUE God,
  4. build upon the power this system of belief endows upon you, and,
  5. realise that you and you alone are this God that YOU have created.
    Then you will, hopefully, understand why humans create Deities and why ALL Deities are absolutely non-existent Bullshit to the maximum.

Oops!

1. There isn’t a god I don’t believe in.
  2. Therefore my god is real.

(By this formula.)

skado Level 9 Oct 4, 2020

@OldMetalHead
Not a problem for me or any anthropologist.

@OldMetalHead ha well you say that they conflict, but it has been noted by many scholars how similar they all are

Argument framing is weird.
Theist try to make it God or no God, giving a perception that the odds would be 50/50.
But all things being equal the pro God 50% would have to be divided by the number of alternative religions making the odds dramatically lower even given this horrible false play on perception their argument creates.

hmm i dunno, im comfortable with Yah being called "Allah" or "Shiva" or even--as generic as it is--"God"

guess that isnt standard though

But, they will inevitably go to their holy book, whichever it might be, and present what they think is "proof" that they are right and all other religions are wrong.

The only real tangible evidence of Christianity is the fear and guilt that a preacher left you with when he was scaring the shit out of you about a place no one has seen or experienced. I was a 30 year Christian so I know this well. Spent many years questioning god and why certain things happen. Everything made more sense after I believed it was not real

Well said. I'm going to copy this one.

Theist are atheist to all the gods they don't believe in.

Exactly

I have to agree that I don't believe "proof" is the right word, but it is an application of logic, okay,. 🤔 Logic and religion? 🤣🤯😉

Imo, mixing Logic and religion is akin to trying to get oil and water to mix together....LOL.

@Triphid indeed 😊

Brilliant.

There have been some 2000 or more Gods in human history. The believers of the Abrahamic God are atheists when it comes to all of the other Gods. We are just Atheists to one more God than they are. Heard that one from Ricky Gervais on the Colbert show. This meme and Ricky are both spot on.

Hitchens makes the identical point

A bit of an 'underestimation re- the Gods, etc, in Human History I think there my friend.
At the last rough tally, I believe that there were at least 30+ million separate Gods, Goddesses, Deities worshipped/ still being worshipped from time to time during the 100,000+ years of Human History with approx. 30,000 still held in awe by Hindus alone.
But hey, who's nit-picking, since ALL Deities, big, small or whatever are nothing more than the products of the imaginations of Human at very best.

ok well fwiw the Bible makes the point that even an "atheist" (in the most obvious case, a "good samaritan" ) might be worthy of emulation and acceptance

Gods are people, people are gods. Gods meet the standards of being people because people are gods. Atheism illogical. It only takes one style of god to show athiesm illogical. I do not have to show pasta in the sky with meatballs meets any standard.

Word Level 8 Oct 4, 2020

@K9Kohle789. Your presumption seems incorrect, not all gods are presumed omniscient. Refering to the people- John 10:34 34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law,(A) ‘I have said you are “gods”’[

The people are refered to as gods. It does not indicate they are omniscient nor required to be.

Greek flavor of god thingie: Zeus is the supreme god and ruler of Olympus. But, unlike many gods in other religions he was neither omnipotent nor omniscient. ... He could be, and in fact was, opposed, deceived and tricked by gods and men alike. [allaboutturkey.com].

@K9Kohle789 It's just like if you say shovels are gods. I read it in an old book, so it is true. Since I've proved shovels are gods and we know shovels exist, then atheism is not logical.
See how logical I am!

@Eazyduzzit It is about establishment of a definition for a standard. I can say a car is defined as a motorized container with 4 wheels. It is not about it being true or not. It is establishing the standard so that I could compare the standard to something actually existing to see if it matches. If I take the car definition above and try to say a 2 wheel motorcycle is a car then it is not true in accordance with the given defined standard.

@Eazyduzzit If you call a shovel God, then you could say it, a god, exist. However, if you compare the shovel God to the biblical standard that people are gods and gods are people then the shovel is not true to the standards given by the definition of biblical text.

@Word the old book I was referring to is not the Bible, so "Biblical standards" don't have any bearing on the shovel God doctrine. Any shovel-God fearing person should know this.

I said "you are Elohim"

@bbyrd009 "Elohim" is found 2602 times in the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh, Old Testament). (It is not used in the Greek New Testament.)
The word is used for: the true God, false gods, supernatural spirits (angels), and human leaders (kings, judges, the messiah).

[hebrew-streams.org]

@Word ah well i guess that is a Quote of Yah, saying that about us?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:540383
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.