Agnostic.com

7 1

Where are you on the issue of abortion?

• 0 votes
  • 18 votes
  • 0 votes
Hages 7 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm all for it in the first trimester, then less and less so as the fetus develops...but that's based on imperfect knowledge.
The crucial marker in my mind is: when is it conscious? I was a fetus once, and I remember nothing of my formative weeks and months. I remember nothing after I was born, until I was six or seven months old (or was it 16 or 17?).
The point is, according to me, it's not murder if you haven't yet acheived consciousness. When that is is an open question.
In other words, does a fetus possess self-awareness? I don't think so, at least not on the human level...
Does the fact it may one day achieve consciousness have any bearing? Not in my mind. At the time of termination, it has no more 'life' than any other mammal; that is, potential consciousness only. That's not the same thing.
To wit: every time a male and a female have sex (some are having it as we speak!), there is the potential for pregnancy UNLESS birth control is used.
Isn't THAT the same thing as abortion? Many fundamentalists would argue yes.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I've long felt that men should have no say in this issue. Were the roles reversed, men would not tolerate women having a say in the disposition of our reproductive organs.

NO say? Then why are you speaking?

If abortions had been legal at the time I was born, I would not be here today. My mother instead gave me up for adoption on the day I was born. By all accounts I should be Pro-Life... but I am not. I am Pro-Choice.

I agree. Abortion should not be a means of contracrption, but it should be available as a considered option.
Anyway, we're glad you're here.

If you WERE aborted, it'd have been a shameful waste, BUT if you HAD been your 'soul' (in theory) would have migrated to another body OR would've (Catholic model) gone directly to heaven.
Either way, no big deal.
(There's also the possibility you'd never had a life at all. Which reminds me of me.)
Not that you're not having a wonderful life!
AND there are plenty of non-aborted fetuses who don't have a great life. Maybe even a bad life.
Plus we all die anyway. To live a life under a death sentence--never knowing what if anything happens next--is a cruel and unusual punishment and (some might say) is worse than never having being born at all.
I've thought about it and if I'd had a vote I'd been okay either way.
Jury's still out.

If men could get pregnant abortions would be protocol.

[theguardian.com]

There would be a punch card.10th one's free!!

. . . safe, legal, rare

@Green_Soldier71 . . . (as an 'old fart' ) I remember 😮

[theatlantic.com]

Conservatives are typically anti-choice yet pro-death penalty, so by definition they aren't really pro-life, they're just pro-forced birth. Except for libertarians, who really don't stand for anything at all.

And the only peoples' opinions that matter on the abortion issue are women of child-bearing age. Thank goodness I lived in Canada 40 years ago and had no trouble getting access to an abortion with no fee.

I don't equate Libertarians with Conservatives. Libertarians that I've known generally "stood for" limited government, personal freedoms (incuding who one wishes to sleep with) and no taxes. They often rub those on the right the wrong way as much as they do those on the left.

@p-nullifidian Libertarianism has always been practiced as a form of conservatism in the west. Even your own short list show that their positions resemble the right much more closely than the left. Libertarians are those freaks who run around claiming "taxation is theft", ignoring section 8 of the Constitution. It is just another self-serving rendition of conservatism for people who wish to benefit from the community while contributing as little as possible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:540918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.