Agnostic.com

9 5

I'm having problems today. I can't see myself being in this country much longer. I'm half white and half asian. I live in a rural community. I hate this city and most of the people who live here. I'm not healthy and I don't think I can survive the move.

PondartIncbendog 8 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome to the American condition for everyone that isn't a conservative God damned Jesus freak.

You might enjoy Hawaii, where the largest ethnic group is Asian, followed by Caucasian, then Hawaiian and a mixed plate of pretty much every ethnicity. Most everyone is full of aloha, respectful and relaxed. At least on my island.

Folks who move here often just show up with 2 suitcases and leave everything else behind. Don't need much here!

Will I need underwear?

Are there any islands where I don't have to be rich to live in? I don't have to live close to the city. Rather not in fact.

@PondartIncbendog No need for underwear - just tie a pareo around your waist and you're good! Besides a handful of celebrities, most folks have only a modest income.

Only city we have really is Honolulu on Oahu. Here on Kauai we have some towns with lots of green space in between. Our big town has the hospital and airport, but most folks live 5-25 miles out of town. I love where I live! And I've lived elsewhere on the island too - each quadrant of the island has its charms.

@Julie808 According to zillow, there are few houses to buy in the sub two hundred class?

@Julie808 Oh yeah, and are there spiders in Hawaii? Great big ones with faces? Do you have dogs? Cats? What is the cheapest island to live in? Apartments? Or buy a house? Or rent a house?

@PondartIncbendog Some spiders, but only a rare few are poisonous. Some nasty centipedes too. I live on the second floor, so I don't get the centipedes. We don't have snakes though! Folks are more bothered by the chickens roaming freely most places, than other pests.

@Julie808 Snakes don't bother me. I lived in Louisiana for four years. Wild chicken are a problem? How about the real estate angle?

Take a breather form the news. When I was coming up it was more than 40%. White supremacist laws were on the books. They are dying off by obesity or age. Fix your health. Most of it is lifestyle related. Become an introvert. Do something positive for yourself.

"fix my health"?

@PondartIncbendog Ok. Work on improving your health if possible.

@Mooolah I've been in seclusion for four years after the orange asshole took our country.

@PondartIncbendog I sympathize. I have been in seclusion since I retired as that was always my goal. For someone who prefers community & socializing, these are challenging times. I survived being in society for all the years I was employed, from 16 years old. For me being an introvert, it was excruciating. Totally devoid of socialization other than being imprinted by boys, as a woman I was branded a trouble maker.( a trouble maker "for good" ) But tho some battles were lost I mostly won all of my wars I learned from the few I lost. I hope you navigate your situation with a successful end. Can anyone help with your health?

Make the hard choice now. There is no point in wasting life, it is all you get. And it is the people who make your life what it is. But you don't have to move far, it is the local people who make the biggest difference, find a community not a country. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

We're all feeling a little alienated and detached right now. I think it's a combination of covid, trump, the upcoming election and the 24-hour news cycle. It's not a happy world. But it is a resilient one. We just need some good central leadership to get us through it. Why not consider moving up the road a piece rather than leaving the country. sometimes a change of venue makes a big difference.

With forty percent of the country backing white supremacists? Nope.

@PondartIncbendog white supremacists, my ass. They always look like the dregs of humanity.

@TheoryNumber3 Drug addicts, alcoholics, wife beaters and christians. All the same.

@PondartIncbendog I’d recommend my hometown, but it’s cost of living’s through the roof! Strange, considering Portland’s portrayed as some out of control hell-hole. I’d considered a move to the coast, father & brother have places there.. Spent time in Tillamook; damn, brain dead church fucked white trash - and tourists!

I doubt BC would be any cheaper, if possible to even get in.. I can’t recommend Appalachia 😕 - like Tillamook with a twang. I’ve recently considered getting out, prettymuch due to the stress described here … but well remember the effort & expense it took to get here, five years ago.. And I’m prettywell dug in.

Everywhere is likely stressed. At least stick around long enough for them to see their A-hole & chief get his ass drug from the Capital! But the battle will continue - and we need you..

@PondartIncbendog OMG... this is the town you live in? I don't get it! Racism has always been around, but at least up until recently, there was a lid on it. Now it seems there is no safety net for people of color. Racism has been sanctioned by trump and his sycophants and boot-lickers. Punks and drunks, like it said in the article.

One of my closest friends is Japanese and she has dealt with veiled and sometimes overt racism her entire life. I don't understand the need humans beings have to separate themselves from others on the basis of such ridiculous things as skin color or the shape of someone's eyes.

At any rate, I don't blame you for wanting to leave town. I would too. Thank you for posting the article. It gave me a much better understanding of your situation and your frustration.

What is going on. I live in Astoria, I do not get out much, but I do not see the problem. I know there are supporters of Trump here and I know there are people who do not like other races, but there are many who feel otherwise. Ocean Shores is up the coast a ways, we went there to get our newest cat, at a shelter, is it the fact that most of the people are older and retired, thus their mind is set? When I look at that area I do see what looks to be trying to fight being destroyed. It look like it has been in a downturn for some time and the work to repair the infrastructure has not been going on. I have no idea if I am correct on this.

Very, VERY sorry to hear this! Might I propose that, with the pandemic, the pustule, the economic problems and the general uncertainty we're all enduring right now....you might be reacting to awful stress? If so--you're certainly not alone! Things will improve! See what happens next year! Uprooting and leaving the country is a huge undertaking and might not solve that stress--it might just present an entirely new set of issues. Speaking on behalf of three friends who have moved away and came to regret it.

Maybe China will take me. Has to be better than here.

@PondartIncbendog Ever been there? Things are difficult in many parts of the country.

Have you not found even a tiny handful of locals worth knowing? I live in a cool town in a shitty region, and admit, I don’t know how Iong I’d last in a shitty town..

Varn Level 8 Oct 11, 2020

Hello. My Assistant is Asian. He is a big help to me. He lives in a rural community. He feels ostracized by all the Trump signs. He has had to explain to his children why they must be extra diligent not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is worried about the safety of his elderly father going out in public alone. I find these things heartbreaking.

I am glad that he tells me about these things although I feel helpless other to confirm that I hate my white privilege and will not tolerate racism in any form. Please know that decent, conscientious Americans will not stand by and allow you to be ostracized by the bigots. We will call out the bigots here, there and everywhere. Zero tolerance for any form of discrimination must be the law of the land, even if it takes another civil war to accomplish it.

I lived in Canada for 37 years and multiculturalism is embraced and encouraged there. But it does not sound like a move is available to you. Once the political climate settles, I think it will be easier for you to make the best of your circumstances. I would go back to Canada but the fight is here and I consider it my duty to support a political environment inclusive of all people. I'm sorry, I wish I had more to offer you than unwavering emotional support.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:542719
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.