Agnostic.com

9 17

More proof that there did not need to be a god involved to create life.
First Support for a Physics Theory of Life
Take chemistry, add energy, get life. The first tests of Jeremy England’s provocative origin-of-life hypothesis are in, and they appear to show how order can arise from nothing.

[getpocket.com]

glennlab 10 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a terribly important article. When it becomes widely accepted -- and it will be -- it means that religion has lost its creation story. That could mean the end of religion for the vast majority of people.

The faster the better!!

Anyone every consider that if all the world's holy books said nothing at all of gods who created us it would likely be that mankind would not worry about the question at all. People worry about it because they just cannot shut up and it makes no sense to them without putting a supreme being in the picture. OK. Suppose there are supreme beings and they don't give a crap about you.

This is an hypothesis, not yet a theory.

Sorry, but it is a theory and the math goes a long way. The theorem it is based on date to the 1990s

Interesting read. Some say Quantum mechanics had a hand in starting the universe, Maybe quantum had a hand in life also.

of course there has to be to create life, i say it all the time when I'm ejaculating and so does the female when she's coming, oh god, oh god

I, for one, agree with him.
Life as we know it on this planet arose and evolved as the end result of a purely, cosmic type accident, NO God, no plan, just a happening where, things occurred, by pure chance, at the right time, right place, etc, etc, and the right elements as well.
Who knows, the whole thing COULD have a full-on screw-up, kind of like trying make a cake and NOT putting in the right ingredients.

I feel it's sufficiently proven that there is no Creator, simply because there's no way to answer the question, "Who created her? him? it?" There is no solution to this infinite regress. Saying "the creator has always been here" is far less satisfactory than accepting that the Universe, in some form, has always been here. Accepting the existence of the Universe does not require violating any physical laws or invoking the supernatural. It merely requires us to accept that we'll never know for sure.

The question now driving research is how exactly life might have come about; something else we'll never know, but we can come closer and closer to a good guess.

After many decades since my days as Science Student at High School I kind of come to the conclusion that the Universe/Cosmos is completely haphazard kind of affair.
I.e the 'philosophy,' for want and need of a better term/word, behind it is akin to restoring a complete 'basket-case' of a motorcycle in that " If it works, well and good, leave it be, If not then pull it all down and start over anew," attitude..

@Triphid We're more in the situation of someone who finds a working motorcycle but wants to know how the whole thing came about.

That's a bad analogy though, it's exactly what the "design" people have been saying for years. "The universe works so well that it must have been put together this way."

@Paul4747 Ah yes, those 'Intelligent Design" people, how often I've thought of just shaking them and seeing/hearing IF there IS anything within their skulls that may actually cause a bit of a 'rattle.'

"More proof that there did not need to be a god involved to create life."?
If it required God then there would be no life.

The god of the gaps folks keep painting themselves into ever smaller corners.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.