Agnostic.com

12 4

LINK Michele Bachmann: Climate Change is a Hoax; “God Says We Will Never Be Flooded” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Of course the story of the flood in the bible is actually the fourth (known) incarnation of that story.

snytiger6 9 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Bible says..."There is nothing new under the sun" Sometimes the sheep herders who fabricated the Bible say something right.

I thought Michele was committed to an asylum. What's wrong with this country?

And we should trust her, because the voices in her head said so.

Michele Bachmann is an idiot. If I recall the passage, it said God promised not to flood all the world again. If it is as she says, then every flood anywhere in the world makes God a liar. The Mississippi has flooded multiple times in my lifetime, and the Ganges River and its delta in Bangladesh flood regularly. The Nile river would flood annually and it would deposit silt to keep their farmland furtile. Floods are a part of the natural phenomenon of this planet. Why Bachmann wants to make these idiotic thoughtless statements is beyond comprehension. Why the media listens to her and reports her nonsense is also a mystery. My hope is that this woman lives long enough to have to eat her words.

She says this shit because she was indoctrinated thusly, it got her votes. As to your other question...yeah, why?

Yes, and I remember seeing from a Documentary a few years back, the oldest 'Flood Story' was more than likely based from a historical story from around the time of the Ending of the last Big Ice Age when the sea levels rose exponentially in the Mediterranean Sea and forced their way through the Straits that separated the Aegean Sea and the Black Sea causing a massive flood that engulfed the very early homes and villages of humans living around the Black Sea.
Hence, Oceanographers, Scientists, etc, etc, HAVE found both evidences of flooded early villages PLUS the lower levels of the Black Sea have been found to be non-saline, oxygen depleted waters and as most people know Sea/Saline water is lighter than fresh water and given time the saline water will float on the non-saline water.
So, it is a far more possibility that the Epics Noah and Of Gilgamesh and their predecessors were based, loosely, upon much earlier 'word of mouth' stories handed down through time by even earlier inhabitants who were affected by the flooding of Black Sea by the rising sea levels in the Mediterranean Sea, etc, etc.
But as to FLOODING the ENTIRE planet to a depth enough to cover Mt. Everest, etc, THERE IS and WAS definitely NOT enough water, free or in condensation forms, etc, available at any time in the last 3-4 BILLION years of the history of this planet.

The Red Sea also filled in when sea levels rose at the end of the last ice age.

Another consideration is that people may not have traveled all that far form their home villages. When the flood came form rising sea levels it could have covered up the entire world that a person knew or was aware of. Thus the idea of the "entire world" flooding.

@snytiger6 Yes and more than a possibility given the Australian Aboriginal tribes who once lived by the coastlines tell a story of the sea rising up to swallow the lands where they once hunted and fished.
Plus, when they were cutting the Sydney Harbour Tunnel they discovered, to their amazement, that running right through most of the harbour was a very ancient, very thick layer of river silt and mud following the course of a very large river that flowed out to sea from the mainland.
Tests conducted on samples of the silt showed that it was lain down around the same time as the end of the last ice-age which coincides with the same aboriginal legends.

The Gilgamesh story is about the search for immortality, which is just where religion comes in: it protects people from their death anxiety. Read "The Worm at the Core."

@BirdMan1 Yes, but it also mentions, in somewhat depth, of a Great Flood as well.

Bat shit crazy Bachmann.

She's probably Qanon. Her husband Marcus Bachmann runs a chain of conversion therapy clinics in Minnesota. Terrible people. Convert thy self sir. lol

He rips off more money from medicare with that crap, than Trump has law suits against him.

Never flooded to begin with

It is possible that at the end of the last ice age as the ocean levels rose that the Mediterranean, the Black Sea and the Red Sea, which may not have had any, or had very little water in them before the sea level rise, flooded and became connected to the oceans. If a person never traveled more than ten miles from their village, then their entire world would have flooded and it would seem like the water covered the entire world. With no written language at the time the story would have been passed down by word of mouth, with each story teller adding in the own little bit. The video above shows four different versions of the story, after written language started.

@snytiger6 Can you just see the water pushing through the Bosporus straits? Or, what became the Bosporus Straits?

@BirdMan1 It might have been a river before the water levels rose.

@snytiger6 The Hudson river, in New York is known as a "Flooded river," with its old route visible for miles beyond the current shore line.

@BirdMan1 Well IF you were to look up the Doco I mentioned then you'd see the actual, evidence of it occurring for yourself.
The Doco also went as far as proving that during the last Ice age the Mediterranean Seabed was about 90% dry land.

@Triphid I was not contradicting you, but adding a piece of evidence in support of what you said. Flooded rivers are probably all over the world. Ut-Napishtim, as mentioned in the Gilgamesh story, was a Sumerian, and has been credited with being the original model for Noah. See Colin Renfew's "Before Civilization."

@BirdMan1 My comment was an attempt for someone to try to see that such an in-rush of water via the Mediterranean basin could easily have burst through the Bosporus Straits.

@Triphid Yes, got it.

Damn, she is dense. No one claims that global warming will cause the oceans to cover all the land on the planet. And you gotta love this god; it sent the rainbow as a promise that it would not destroy all life with a flood again, but instead it's going to destroy it with fire.

God was always working on ways to scare people into submission in those days. 🙂

@DenoPenno Believe in me, and the right things about me--OR ELSE! They call this god almighty, but that sounds needy and pathetic to me.

Yeah, I to wondered about that claim..

@Joanne Sounds too much like Donald Trump to me. 🙂

@DenoPenno And let's not forget Stalin, Hitler and all those other Despots as well.

I want to say that Michelle Bachmann is a sick lady, and a fool, but she is simply suffering from the culturally supported delusion that the bible is an authentic bit of godspeak.
Nevertheless, she wields the book like Pat Robertson wields his farts!

Ut-napishtim was the original Noah. Myths do not come from out of the blue, they are old stories reworked by whatever culture is writing the new one.
Gilgamesh was searching for immortality, which is just what religions promise, in order to keep the human anxiety about mortality at bay.

Michelle Bachman is a hoax. Just ask the folks that lived in Johnstown.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544036
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.