Agnostic.com

9 1

Why dosn't the USA Split

considering they prize democracy above all else why is not a ceding from the union valid for states that choose to do so? are they not propagating the same 'tyranny' they fought against?

#USA
Poitter 5 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let me add: Three is no way in hell that I will ever cede an inch of territory to the forces of ethynocentrism, racism, demagogic religion, or irrational ,rabid right! I will always fight to prevent them from impsing their malevolent ideology on me!

well it looks like you already have, you live in a country where 'in god we trust' is printed on the money, you have no public healthcare, ludicrously low minimum wages and more incarcerated people by population then any other nation on earth, most of them black or hispanic.

Funny how the notion of seceding automatically assumes a state by state action. Our red/blue divisions in this country are mostly not about state vs state. They are much more aligned with metropolitan vs rural America. That would make for a very messy division and one that economically would be a disaster. With division also usually comes fights over resources. It would get really ugly. You also need to ask why secede. The disagreements that are prominent today could be totally different in 50 years. Are we to divide every time there is a shift in attitudes of the populace? We might as well embrace the idea of no nations. hmm...

Somewhere along the line we became like the Hotel California - you can check in, but never leave. Frankly, if the blue states split, I'm going with them. That should be much easier than trying to go to Canada.

CS60 Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

That's a great question I've wondered about myself. I've heard that California actually filed papers to begin the ceding . Not sure what became of it. There's been some talk of other states as well. I think if they do try other states will follow suite and that would break up all that federal power. I'm just waiting for it to happen. In a country who gives token patriotism by saying "one nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all " and ignores the hypocrisy that exist, its bound to happen.

It's cute that you buy into that nonsense.

what nonsense that the USA is a democracy or asking questions? as i'm not from the USA i was legitimately curious.

The US is not now, nor has it ever been as democratic or free as we let on. From its inception we have an empire based on wealth. We have been in wars of aggression for all but 22 years since we became sovereign. Five of those years was keeping half of the states from seceding.

America is currently run by the tyranny of the myth of American exceptionalism and that is terrifying. The idea of "America First" is the perversion of what America was. American Exceptionalism is supposed to be a goal, not a belief. Secession is against the principles of America, because we were meant to enshrine and worship ideas and not demagogues. If anyone secedes from this nation, the remainder should not be known as The United States as the entire experiment should be written off as a failure. We need to fix this country or pull the plug.

That being said, I genuinely don't know enough to choose another nation that better enshrines ideas above people and politics. The current state of the US is unacceptable, but what is fundamentally better?

Another nation? It's called Canada.

I refuse to bow to your Queen!!! I've also heard that it's rapidly becoming owned by corporations like us.

That being said, I have considered Canada, but the areas I am interested in are too expensive. I really like the non-two-party system though, so if stuff keeps getting worse here, I'll probably try to move up there

you know we don't actually bow to the queen..
but thanks for the great answer
there are many countries were the system seems better then the USA your describing. even ones without monarchs.

If the US were to split, my home would be in one of the states that split off due to the areas that seceded due to ethnocentirism, outright racism, and religiosity. I would rather fight than give them the stamp of legitimacy. Morality and principles are worth fighting for.

shouldn't democracy be at the top of your principles? freedom of choice seems a big one to me. otherwise how are you different from any other popularist dictators that too power in their countries?

We're not a democracy. Common misconception. We're a Representative Republic, operating (allegedly) under democratic ideals.

that kind of makes sense thanks

Sure the governors could try but the thing is it might be unfair for the people living in the states. It's pretty debatable.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 27, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.