Agnostic.com

18 3

Is there a word for...?

Is there a word or phrase for the feeling of nostalgia, or longing, or something, for a time and a place that you never experienced, or maybe even a fantasy reality youy wish you could step into?
I keep having a rememberence or longing for a situation I haven't actually lived.

greenman63 4 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Could be memories of past lives.
The laughing Cherub Guide to Past-Life Regression: A Handbook for Real People, written by therapist Mary Elizabeth Raines, tells about her accidentally learning to cure patients with persistent problems by healing memories from their past lives, and gives instructions on how to do this for yourself at home.

I'd had certain troubling phobias and problems all my life, and never could cure myself that vanished instantly when I revisited the appropriate past life where the trauma first occurred, and re-imagined the traumatic scenes as being happy events instead, where the bad stuff never happened.

Turned out, I didn't have to go through her complicated processes-just tell myself to return to the past life where the trauma first occurred, then just "imagine" it. To my shock, I remembered the past lives vividly, and even verified some details by googling incidents. I visited a number of past lives to hit a number of problem areas.

The relief was so profound, I didn't care whether or not the imaginary experiences were "real," as long as they worked.

It might be in the dictionary of obscure sorrows:

[dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com]

Day dreaming

I reckon its that feeling that makes you smile and sigh at the same time, I wonder if it does have a name tho

Yearning? I don't know, deprived?

Daydream Believer. Or, a different, special kind of daja vu perhaps??

The word is 'loss'.

kind of a synesthesia with time, I often have this feeling and the only way to describe it is it is like music that has no noise.AND no I do not do drugs, I am lucid for those that think this is an explanation.

I had to Google synesthesia. As a writer, I love learning new words; thank you 🙂 It's a very interesting concept indeed. I was thinking perhaps kind of daja vu in answer to the question. LOL on you not doing drugs. It didn't even cross my mind.

@ArgosFriend Just added it to avert the comments.

It is called American history as it is taught in our schools.

Here is something to which you might relate

Miniver Cheevy, child of scorn,
Grew lean while he assailed the seasons;
He wept that he was ever born,
And he had reasons.

Miniver loved the days of old
When swords were bright and steeds were prancing;
The vision of a warrior bold
Would set him dancing.

Miniver sighed for what was not,
And dreamed, and rested from his labors;
He dreamed of Thebes and Camelot,
And Priam’s neighbors.

Miniver mourned the ripe renown
That made so many a name so fragrant;
He mourned Romance, now on the town,
And Art, a vagrant.

Miniver loved the Medici,
Albeit he had never seen one;
He would have sinned incessantly
Could he have been one.

Miniver cursed the commonplace
And eyed a khaki suit with loathing;
He missed the mediæval grace
Of iron clothing.

Miniver scorned the gold he sought,
But sore annoyed was he without it;
Miniver thought, and thought, and thought,
And thought about it.

Miniver Cheevy, born too late,
Scratched his head and kept on thinking;
Miniver coughed, and called it fate,
And kept on drinking.

n/a​

No I live in the present.

That is a very interesting question. I collect words, especially the very specific one like the one you are looking for. In German ,we have a word Heimweh, homesickness, that is made up of two words, heim=home and weh= ache or pain. This word , Heimweh , has been expanded to Fernweh= the ache for places far away, and now to Meerweh.the ache or desire for the sea.
I do not know if we could come up with a term , in German, that would describe the ache for an ubnknown place or situation. I'll be following this thread. it is very interesting.

Heartsick.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

Deja vu?

hiraeth is a longing for a place you have never been or doesnt exist. it is as close as i could think of

Byrd Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

That is a great word. It goes into the notebook! Thanks.

i am a collector of many things, words being one of them, and this one remains one of my favorites

Another great word I learned from this thread. Thank you!

I don't know the word for it but I know what you mean all to well. I have very vivid serial dreams and much prefer my dream life to the everyday.

Imagination.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.