Agnostic.com

17 4

Do you see gender pay gaps in your company?

I can't speak to this because I'm in a commission based career; so I don't see women making less money for being a woman. You're either good at your job or you're not and if anything being a female has it's advantages simply because some people (especially other women) prefer to have a female salesperson. Do you see gender pay inequality in your line of work?

paul1967 8 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Watch this wonderful Jonathan Pie piece ...

The men I work with are all in different fields. As far as I know, pay is based on field (ST, OT, PT), experience, days worked (higher pay for working Sat & Sun), attendance percentage and meeting deadlines for reports. I assume the PTs start at a higher pay due to the fact they are doctor level and they rest of us are masters level. But, pay raises would be held to the same criteria.

I have no clue what happens with the administrative side.

The pay gap is far more complicated than simple different pay rates for the same work. There are some cases where that happens but mostly it's about lifetime earnings.
The burden of caring falls more on women than men which takes years out of their earning capacity. Similar factors affecting both groups to different degrees (eg.loss of blue collar male jobs) complicate the analysis.
The point is not that "men get paid more than women", it's that identifiable structural inequties in the system are creating a situation where women earn less than men through performing labour essential to the continued well being of our society. A much more complicated set of ideas.

The female professors at the community college I was attending , filed a class action suite against the college for equal pay . The first response from the college administration was , "If we paid the female professors , the same salaries we paid the male professors , the college would go bankrupt ." The result of the suite was , the records to the college were to be opened to the female professors , who would then select a male equivalent professor with equal duties , equal education , equal time and the college would be required to pay her the same salary as he was getting .

I worked for over 42 years , for the Federal government . Discrimination was blatant , and got even worse when the Federal Government passed the anti discrimination law . In my personal case , for instance , my male supervisor was younger then me , had been with the Agency less time than I had been , and did not have the college credits I had . When he chose to move on , and his spot was open , the management decided to control who would get that job , by only offering a lower grade to the person taking it on . When a man applies for the job , they promise him a raise in short order . When I looked into it , I was told there would not be a promotion . Fortunately , for me , I was already looking into a different position . I became the lab manager for 5,000 sq. feet computer evaluation lab.

Sorry to hear that.

I have never worked anywhere with a gender pay gap.

Same here in my job description.

when i started roofing, i was offered minimum wage, i think at the time it was about $8.50 an hour. the rest of the boys were paid between $11.50 to $20 an hour, depending on what they did, and their seniority. i was not offered anything near equal pay, until i proved that i not only could keep up with the boys, i offered things they did not. then i was offered $11.50. the boys got upset, but they got over it. i loved that job

Byrd Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

That is crazy. I'm sorry you have to deal with that because you don't have a penis.

The pay gap at my work isn't driven by gender. It's by academic discipline. I make $4,000 less than a newly hired, first semester Assistant Professor in their very first teaching position. I've been here 16 years, I'm terminally degreed, and I'll be up for Full Professor next Fall. How's that for a pay gap!

Interesting. Are you less worthy of pay for any legitimate reason? Let me ask another way, is their a justifiable reason for the pay difference like is the field in which that person is in more in demand? o more difficult to achieve?

@paul1967 I'm in the Fine Arts. I'm disposable as far as academia is concerned. They think STEM fields have all the answers. What we need, instead, is STEAM! Now, if I was a football coach with only a BA/BS degree, I'd get the big money! Sad isn't it.

@farmboy2017 It truly is, sad isn't the word I would use, I would use asinine.

No. I am in a Union.

Out of curiosity, do you think unions are worth having? Should we support unions or do they cost more to maintain than they're worth?

@paul1967 Union membership has waned, aided by Conservative policy. But still, Union pressure somewhere in whatever industry you're in keeps employers from paying peanuts, lessening benefit packages and doing away with safe working conditions. The middle class is famous for blowing off keeping corporate America's feet to the fire by refusing to recognize that large united groups of people get their needs met a whole lot better than one guy facing the CEO, and pissing down his shaking pant leg in fear. Only one thing has a fighting chance to claw back what the middle class has lost: Unions.

Big Gap In The U.K. Up Too 5 Times The Difference Between Men Women!

Coldo Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

I saw that, and I was shocked. I was under the false impression that sexual bias was less of a thing in the U.K.

@paul1967 No Chance,Things Were Improving But Have Slid Back Badly Under Tory Government.

There was when I started. I slowly caught up based on performance and the timing of a patent I received..

No we are all overworked and underpaid.

Where are you getting this stat from, by the way?

If you're talking about the picture, I randomly downloaded an image of gender gap pay. It wasn't meant to be a legitimate stat. Sorry if it is misleading, that wasn't my intent.

@paul1967 It’s fine. It’s interesting though that this notion of a pay gap is passed around accepted as truth, but it is very hard to source. Not that I think there is no pay gap mind you.

@indirect76 Well the reason I asked was that I don't know. I was leaning toward my instinct that it was probably accurate, but I'm beginning to think maybe it's not true. I can't trust the media to give me a straight answer, and with some questions like this, I feel unqualified to decipher the truth, so I carefully rely on peoples input to help me form my opinion.

No. We don’t have any female employees. Just me and two other guys.

When I was a sales account manager I'm guessing there was. Don't know for sure because I was a minority.

Not at my level when I was working. We were union.

There were many and the company was aware of them but did nothing to change I know as I was the management and I ws told what I could pay. I left the job but found that it did not matter as the companies would pay the lowest wage they could get away with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.