Agnostic.com

24 2

Children: Are you ok if they wanna be religious?

If your kids didn't wanna follow in your footsteps of being a atheist, agnostic, skeptic etc. would you be upset by that? or would you be ok with it?

Personally, I would be fine with anything my kids wanna believe as long as they are not hurting themselves in the process. Though I have others who tell me that will hurt my child overall. What do you think?

LimeO 4 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that they will be live what they want to believe, even if you try to force them into saying something else.
I guess the question is how open do you want them to be with you ?

This is Another reason why I don't breed.

Wish there were more like you

When my son was sixteen he chose to become a Catholic. There was something he thought he needed and he believed that the church could give it to him. I was and non-practicing Christian at that time and was not pleased with his decision although I never let him know that.

I supported his decision without encouraging it. When he asked questions we would play the "What If" game. In the game nothing is off limits and Star Trek the Next Generation was popular at that time.

Within a year he stopped going to church on a regular basis. He now considers himself a non-practicing Christian.

The wonderful thing about children is that they mature over time. Every few years their needs and wants change. They experiment with different things and eventually will decide what works best for them.

So to answer the question. If it is fulfilling a need and is doing no harm then I'm okay with it. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Nov 27, 2017

Why not? Don't you want your family to be OK with your Atheism?

If they grow up to be atheists, agnostics, believers....and is their own decision....for sure they won't be growing up in an oppressed household.

To be completely honest, it would bother me because I view it as a kind of mental illness. To live in such delusion, what is worse is to pretend you believe just to profit from it. I would like to think I have raised my daughter's to think for themselves. To take responsibility for their choices. To not have to pray for "guidance" and simply make choices based on fact and what is in front of them.

I made sure that my kids understood my beliefs and why I held them, but gave the freedom to make belief choices of their own. Both of my daughters, as mature adults, are somewhere between agnosticism and atheism. Incidentally, they also grew up in Kansas.

It could be argued I am more religious than my son (he’s 22), I identify as Buddhist, which is more of a spiritual practice and not a religion. My son is an atheist. My daughter (age 3) is being raised by a gay male Christian couple and will likely grow up a nondenominational Christian.

I want my children to have their own mind which includes whether or not they believe in a God.

my kids are all atheist by their own choice.

If I end up having kids... They probably just won't care. They won't even think about the question.

Yes, but you can bet that living in my house they'd wind up having their beliefs challenged frequently. It would definitely be tough sledding for them.

If i had kids, I'd not be all that OK with it. It would be hard to stop them, but I'd tell them that religion is both based on and teaches "magical thinking" instead of rational thought and critical thinking.

Some areas of Buddhism maybe? It is more communities as many would drop if the texts involved were read seriously. Chances are that the religious community would be what they'd want. I'm not saying in absolutes but I wouldn't encourage it.
One of my most important beliefs is freedom of association. Be that intoxicated male, female, other, religious, non-religious and so on. But I'd assign my child homework on their newfound faith and check out the gatherings involved. It is a dangerous line to toe.

If (big if) I ever have kids I'm not going to bring them to church because I'm not going to go, that being said I'm not going to prevent them from going if they want to go when they are older. As long as they aren't hurting themselves or others. If they end up deciding that they are religious that's up to them and it's not my place to force my lack of belief on them.

My daughter believes in God. I hate it, but do not want to influence her either. I allow it, but when she is old enough we will have that discussion and she can decide for herself.

I would not be upset ,but I would be dissapointed.You can tell them u are ok with it

I call myself an Agnostic, although I have experimented all over the board. it's come down to if I claimed a religion it would be and Nature as proven by Science. I raised 5 children. My oldest is an eclectic Witch, my 2nd became a Mormon, my 3rd a Baptist, my 4th and Agnostic, and my last follows the Norse religion.
Discussions are respectful. We all disagree peaceably and reflect together
upon common grounds.

Donna Level 6 Dec 23, 2017

My wife and I did not raise our daughters in the church. When they started asking questions because their fellow elementary students made christian remarks, I taught them the history of Christianity. I was relieved when they outright rejected the entire notion of religion and god. I don't know how I would handle it if they suddenly decided to be religious. I would hope that I could support them. But lucky for me they are now in high school and more atheist than ever. College will be interesting in a few years.

I have three kids. The oldest doesn’t seem to be anything. The middle one married a Christian and is totally drinking the cool aid. The youngest one is very skeptical of religion.

I’m fine with all the choices.

For me it depends on age. Once they are adults then fine, I guess I’d be disappointed but whatever. As kids I’d always say what I think is the truth. That the Bible is a fairytale etc etc. hopefully something will stick.

depends on religion.

There is a lyric in a song written by Stevie Wonder that speaks to this topic. The song is called Superstition. The lyric says. "If you believe in things that you don't understand you will suffer. Superstition ain't the way". I have taught my kids to avoid that suffering by only accepting conclusive evidence of a god. If they find something extraordinary then I will of course be curious and talk with them about it. Ultimately I will respect their decision even if i disagree with them as long as i'm convinced they're not in a dangerous situation. I have suffered and resisted against christianity being forced on me at home as a child, in the schools, in the work place and in social gatherings because I have never seen evidence of any god. For this reason I won't be a hypocrite and force my beliefs on my children.

its up to them really

It is their life not mine. I would teach them that it is ok to be religious as long as you don't force it on others or your own children. That sort of decision should wait til adulthood in my opinion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.