Agnostic.com

8 5

I was raised in the restorationist church of christ from a baby and I took it all in deeply, singing, praying, teaching, and preaching our form of righteousness until real behaviors about death and loss strongly conflicted with our hardline beliefs... I thought about it, asked a few questions, whose answers further conflicted with more of our teachings... then, after about 2 weeks, I quit the close loving church family for life. 1986. Been drifting mostly alone ever since.

Since then, I have learned that there is nothing from anywhere to replace the loving care of those who believe the same way about the one true and tough loving god. I can never go back there.

The world is harsh. EVERYONE has their own form of righteousness, which they intermittently try to force onto others. There are odd groups (gangs) who agree with each other, but they, like terrorists, wear no uniform, carry no identity, have no common base location, and they shame others for not being strong individuals in the same ways that they are.

At least with religion, there is a flock of unity with a fairly uniform identity, acceptance, loving care, and material support, if you at least listen to them talk about their culture.

The world is how it's people are and they will, as a whole, never change. You are either on the outside or you must sacrifice some part of yourself to join some group. And publicly, even among larger groups that seem to be somewhat homogenous, it's better to keep personal and controversial experiences and views hidden or risk drawing the angry gangs out from the tittering mob, which most individuals simply cannot handle. That's the way it is, so get used to it.

Anybody have a similar path as me?

EarnestEccentric 7 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The phenomena you're describing aren't limited to religious groups. It's sociological. All peer groups exhibit the shared identity, collective support, and interdependence you describe.

I think you will find that we Agnostics and Atheists are pretty reluctant to force our beliefs (or lack thereof) on others.

H.sapiens is a social animal. It’s in our biology. So not having a group to belong to is also sacrificing a part of ourselves.

I’m not saying it’s not a dilemma - it is. I grew up in the Baptist church, and I am not a participating member of any church now. But I do remember that sense of belonging, and the material assistance during hardships, etc. It’s like being part of a larger family, that actually cares about your wellbeing.

The non-denominational churches like UU, etc. can replace some of that, but when you no longer believe the Great Overseer in the sky will be displeased if you don’t go, it’s hard to find the motivation to get up on Sunday morning.

I’m fortunate to have a solid connection with real family and friends (which I put some effort into maintaining) or I might be tempted... nah, I couldn’t do it! I would be uncomfortable pretending. But if a church existed that exalted philosophy and science, I very well might. Especially if you could wear jeans&tshirts!

skado Level 9 Oct 27, 2020

@EarnestEccentric
Yes. People who never went, or people who were involved in oppressive organizations or with abusive individuals. My experience was very much like yours. Mostly nice people just being neighborly. I just couldn’t do the sky-fairy routine.

No; fortunately, I had family that knew better, but have occasionally wondered how strong I’d have been confronting such wide-spectrum brainwashing. As is, I was allowed to view the multitude of religious insanity several steps back.

If what you miss was false, it seems the same as missing that time you were told some ‘santa’ was bringing you gifts for being good. Like missing a simpler time, which I think we all do. But if surrounded by a false perception of reality on a full-time basis, and accepted only because you’re willing to play into ‘their myth,’ that’s deception at an extremely unhealthy level.

Reality can be harsh … as well as comforting and beautiful. The best people I’ve found are often in the shadows, or, quietly enjoying the sunlight.. They’re there, with no more an agenda than leaving this planet a tad better for them having been a part of it.

I don’t know how one recovers from deep religion. I do know how one enjoys life. You follow your moral compass, connecting with those on a similar bearing. The depth of those connections are your choice. Beyond the biological responsibilities of procreation and nurturing, one is free to navigate life as they feel. Make it so ~

Varn Level 8 Oct 27, 2020

I walk that path, but don't tell me people never change.
Slavery was at one time normal.
Women couldn't terminate an unwanted pregnancy and couldn't vote.
The world and the people in it change.

So you regret swallowing the red pill. Tough. There's no going back. 😂

You have transfered the mind set of the restorationist church of christ to say that all of us out side of a religion must have unchanging views. That is patently untrue. The ideas of religion are being changed by science all the time and eventually everyone will see that science is the way forward. Not that it is a religion but a method of getting as near to the truth as possible.

If you want communities of happy forward looking people who are not slaves to religion, look up and search out "Sunday Assemblies".

@EarnestEccentric Well done for spotting patterns in history. A favourite pastime of scientists > Human Beings have first for change too and a potential for bringing forward changes that surprise IF they are allowed to reach their potential.

No, on the contrary, I’ve never been part of a religious group, either mainstream or a smaller sect or cult, so have never known the all encompassing feeling of being an insider.

Religions deliberately design it that way to create a dependency on the group, and to stamp out independent thought and action. That is how religions, and particularly smaller sects operate, they take a child and indoctrinate him and they create a dependency in that child, in the belief that their church or particular cult is special and those outside of it are to be feared as outsiders and disbelievers. The child is made to feel safe as long is they are obedient and stay in the group and follow the rules. When the child grows and becomes an adult, he either continues to accept the doctrines and rules or questions it, like you did, and leaves. Unfortunately what that leaves is a feeling of being cast adrift in a hostile world of outsiders. What you feel is natural, but the world is actually made up of millions of individuals, we are not all hostile, on the contrary, most people are quite approachable and friendly if you make the effort to reach out to them.

You don’t need to be part of a religious sect or group to experience a feeling of camaraderie or belonging, there are plenty of secular organisations, volunteer groups and hobby/sports clubs, which you can replace the need to feel part of a “family” with. I myself belong to a choir who are like family to me and it’s no sacrifice to give part of myself to the choir, quite the contrary, I find it enriching and extremely rewarding. The difference between belonging to a choir and belonging to a religious group is that there is no compunction for me to do so, and no guilt attached if I miss rehearsals. I do it voluntarily and purely for my enjoyment, and pleasure.

I also help as a volunteer in our local FoodBank and I find that a truly worthwhile and rewarding activity. It has also introduced me to new friends of all ages and walks of life. I’m sure something like that could replace your feeling of missing community.

When I was in a church, I joined a men's bible study. The pastor was of course there. And basically controlled the group....Why? I just thought that he could not shut up. But I suppose it was oversight, control and censorship.

So yeah all of these meetings of "community" kind of come with a KGB Agent

No. I never really was in any group, or a belonging to groups type of person. I think that things like this site are the nearest I ever got to it.

@EarnestEccentric Yes uit is quite different here in the UK, those sort of church support networks are not as strong, and do not reach out so far. There is however a lot more community support of a secular type, and we are in many ways more sociallist in outlook, so that the state takes up many of those duties. But even so I have always thought that the chuch coffee shop, is a more important prop for religion than the pulpit or alter.

That is in part why, though not regarding myself as really a humanist, I do support the Humanist idea, since providing ritual and social services, is much the most important function of the churches and the one which is most in need of replacement.

@EarnestEccentric I think our society is (in the USA for sure) ..messed up. In order to promote constant spending & purchases to remain functioning as individuals or ‘lone families,’ the concept of extended families and community appears ignored. With that, we’ve a less trusting, less connected society..

However ... if a person is the least bit outgoing, there are definitely opportunities to connect with like minded wholesome people and organizations in which some of what you’ve described takes place - without the spiritual requirements.

I’ve allowed hobbies and political desires to lead me, often finding - be careful what you wish for 🙂 Helped a political friend move his stove (4 of us), and ended up ‘being volunteered’ for a community fund raising event for our local food bank.. Anymore, I spend a fair amount of time and effort backing out of such ..opportunities. So they’re there!

What I’ve also found is, allowing myself to experience the entire spectrum of my community, what may at first come off as a coldness, from either of us, is actually respect for the diversity we’ll no doubt encounter. Not as much distrust, as respect. Once past that ..you’ll be moving stoves 😉

Hey, this place is a good start, glad you’re here ~

@Varn Oh. I do my share of moving stoves. The nature of the business I am in for one thing, means that I am in demand for all kinds of free advice etc. I have helped to run several gardening clubs, a village bowls club, and provide land for pensioners to grow veg gardens. Plus other village things. No shortage of stoves to move.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:547097
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.