Agnostic.com

14 15

LINK Half of Americans say Bible should influence U.S. laws, including 28% who favor it over the will of the people | Pew Research Center

The U.S. Constitution does not mention the Bible, God, Jesus or Christianity, and the First Amendment clarifies that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” Still, some scholars have argued that the Bible heavily influenced America’s founders.

snytiger6 9 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, fuck that noise.

Are they serious? TRY enforcing no work on sundays, slavery is legal, no tattoos, no mixing of polyester and other fabrics, no eating pork, no foul language,women should not teach or have authority over a man, a woman should marry her rapist and so on!!!

Everyone has their individual rights. As long as they don’t try to force them on others....

And, imo, those Americans have LESS than half a brain cell to share between them, have I.Q's that are less than 10% of their shoe sizes and would be the first scream for REAL Justice should anything untoward happen to them.
And, should these arcane biblical laws be enacted, then how many of these 'sheeple' would facing biblical punishments for things such as Adultery ( which INCLUDES Pre-marital and Extra-Marital sex) where they would face Stoning to Death, using the Lords name in vain= Death by Stoning, wearing cloths made from 2 or more DIFFERENT fibres/materials, working on the Sabbath ( Penalty- Stoning), coveting their neighbour's possessions/wives or daughters/sons (in some cases) Penalty= Death by Stoning, Bearing False Witness, Eating Shellfish, Pork or ANY animal with a Cloven hoof, the list is almost endless?

Oh boy, blasphemy laws on the horizon.

BLASPHEMY = A Law Enacted by Man to try stop an Invisible, Imaginary, Omnipotent, Entity from getting its feelings hurt.

And now they have a 6 to 3 majority in the Supreme Court, so, fasten your seatbelts, it’s going to be a bumpy (deadly, bloody, ugly) ride.
I knew there was a reason why I was not only atheist but antitheist!!

Stupid people, plain and simple.

Stupid people in control, plain and horrifying.

Frightening and very sad. I say this because that 28 percent who think the bible should influence and reflect U. S. law are greatly deceived by another group that we know today as the top 1 percent. This includes Koch, DeVos, Mercer and others who want America to become that "Christian Nation" that it never was to begin with. Then it becomes so much easier to use religion to make the poor work for you. People need to wake up.

Those who aren’t guided by reason will never wake up. They’re hopelessly lost.

@SeaRay215ex The bible has no reason because it is a false and made up book coming out of years apart other books that all had different subjects. How can it be taken seriously? A study of this is the basis of why I am no longer a Christian. Looking at other religions it does appear than man makes his god in his own image.

It does not surprise me that 28% of Americans have the same mentality as Islamic State: "I will impose my holy book on all you DOGS!"

Fuck that shit!

It may have influenced it certainly, since most education at the time was heavily attached to various churches and religions. That doesn't make it the basis of the Constitution, since the writers were extremely careful to deliberately avoid any reference to gods or the Bible in the original text and went out of their way to disassociate the law from religion with the Bill of Rights. But trying to get that through the head of a believer is like trying to get them to explain how animals from around the world somehow managed to find their way to Babylonia when the world flooded, or how the human race was formed from Adam and Eve, who only had sons, leaving Eve the only woman around. Their minds don't work on facts, only their own fiction.

They will be very surprised when they find out what 'laws' the bible contains.

BDair Level 8 Oct 29, 2020

Oh dear, those people seem to have forgotten that the Confederacy, with its advocating of slavery, lost the civil war. Also, does that mean they want to stone to death all surviving US presidents who committed adultery?

@anglophone The confederacy lost the war all right, but do you know how many lives it took, and how many lives it would take now?

@Rodatheist No, my knowledge of the history of the USA is extremely limited.

@anglophone well, suffice to say that casualties during the civil war were by no means limited.

@Rodatheist Thanks.

Thats frightening.

You can say that again!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:547815
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.