Agnostic.com

1 0

"Let's keep up the monuments of confederate leaders from
the past because otherwise we'll forget what happened in the past or something."

"We got like the internet for learning and stuff."

"What if a solar storm wipes out the electrical grid?"

"Then we still have libraries."

"What if religious people burn all the books?"

"Then we still have the museums."

"Museums cost money and poor people won't be able to learn."

"Goddamn you're right we need to keep these statutes up."

"You know I
was thinking, it's rather arbitrary to decide which statues deserve to be taken down and which to keep up. Some founding fathers had slaves and we all love Washington and Jefferson."

..."and the north in general greatly benefited from slave labor."

..."One could also make the point that the north only stopped using slaves themselves because they weren't benefiting financially anymore from using slaves because the dynamics were different in the north because of weather and technology differences. Point is, was the norths decision to abolish slavery more for genuine moral reasons or for pragmatic reasons such as technology differences, climate and finances?"

"FUCK!! People are fucking evil and we're all savages. Tear down ALL the statures of people that even remotely had ties to slavery."

"The pyramids?"

"Well, it's actually a misconception that they used slave labor; they were actually skilled craftsman and earned monetary compensation, and even IF they were slaves, the monument today would be dedicated to remembering the suffering that the slaves themselves had to endure and that would be a good thing; that's not even close to a good comparison." Also the pyramids were erected for the Pharaoh, so it's purpose is for that. The pyramids represent the fruits of their labor, because it was their belief that the sun god Ra needed them to build it so the pharaoh could enter into the afterlife. The whole purpose of the enterprise wasn't to hold up the right to enslave people, if they were even slaves; it was built for the pharaoh so he could get into the afterlife. I guess we could put up a little plaque on every pyramid that says: "This pyramid is dedicated to anyone in the past that might have been personally inconvenienced by means of forced labor or poor work conditions."

"The people of the south thought that god wanted them to have the right to enslave people. They were highly religious people. How can you go against god.? Are you doubting god?"

"They weren't true Christians because true Christians don't enslave people."

"Actually slavery is very prominent in the Bible and was generally just the way things were." Depending on who was enslaving who, it was seen as just fine."

All of this concern is kind of goofy and people are going to get upset about anything and everything today, but if you are a black person living in the south and you had to walk by a statue of someone that enslaved their ancestors because they were considered an INFERIOR human, think of the psychological pain that causes. Maybe...and this could work.. I think the people that have to see the fucking statues everyday should have a democratic decision in whether they stay or go. But if you want some kind of guideline, I guess it should be: Were the people who are represented by monuments and statues literally direct proponents to the Confederacy's position on slavery? Either way people are gonna forget about this shit in a month or so."

... and they did.

Jarucker 5 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like the 'do I want my children to see this' test. If the answer is no, dump the monument.

MikeJ Level 5 Nov 28, 2017
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5533
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.