Agnostic.com

7 4

A few times I tried to point out the latent subconscious damage that religion has done that most people never think about. Teaching that people are naturally evil because of original sin, for example.

Here's another good example. Telling people that if they're morally offended they have a right to thrown a temper tantrum and act like a spoiled five year old. When Jesus saw the money changers doing business in the temple, he cried out "This is the house of God, a house of prayer," (something like that), and proceeded to overturn tables and spill money all over the floor. The underlying message is when morally offended you can lose reason and your temper.

How many times has this happened in history? Emperor Franz Joseph, for instance, was a strict Catholic Habsburg ruler and when his nephew the archduke was assassinated his reaction was "I'll teach them a lesson." He proceeded too invade Serbia with a vast army killing thousands of innocent farmers that had noting to do with the assassination.

This was the start of WWI which killed thousands and changed the course of world history. Christ set a pretty sick example.

Aristippus 6 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On the other hand--just playing the devil's advocate here--moral outrage can inspire action, even movements for positive change. There were a helluva lot of 'temper tantrums' thrown this summer over the police killings of unarmed persons of color--tantrums that were both called for and need to continue.

ha well Jesus didnt kill anyone? But He sure gets blamed enough i guess lol

You say," ...religion has done that most people never think about. Teaching that people are naturally evil because of original sin, for example."

1. What religion are you talking about and why do you reference biblical text when referring about religion?

2. Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

You are being all illogical. If you are going to be talking about religion in context of biblical text, then you should be talking about helping widows and orphans while avoiding worldly corruption. Otherwise, you should clarify what religion you are talking about.

Then you talk about sin and you don't seem to understand nor talk about sin in the correct context of biblical text.

Sin was about "missing the mark" as in not hitting a bulls eye, doing something or someone wrong, committing a fallacy, or (crime)violation of the laws of Israel prior to 2000 years ago.

Word Level 8 Nov 23, 2020

I mentioned Jesus in the comment, so I thought I was talking about Christianity.

@Aristippus why call christianity a religion? The text that established christianity called religion helping widows and orphans while avoiding worldly corruption.

@Gwendolyn2018 you have it backwards. I am trying to explain to him. He doesn't very well understand.

@Gwendolyn2018 @Word seems nearly robotic in his repetitious ramblings concerning the promotion of a single biblical text (extracted from a volume of nearly 800,000 words) as being the quintessential definition of religion! By continuously constraining his definition of religion to this particular New Testament text, @Word reveals that he is, sadly, fixated.

@p-nullifidian I have yet gotten anyone to make a reason why they use religion in the way that they do.

I left christianity not because it was a "religion ". Yet, when I considered myself Christian as do most Christians I know, it is not considered a "religion " in the manner that illogical atheist use the word religion.

@p-nullifidian, @Gwendolyn2018 sounds like referring to me, logic is not flawed. ESL writer, English as A second language? No, I do have poor eye sight, and had ever since beginning to read. Nothing wrong with my logic and thinking. It's just the "rules" of perfect grammar I don't always get along with. Nor do I have them exactly memorized for extremely fast written output without revision. Whereas, I have had 4.0 g.p.a. in college English and American lit. With good well written reports and papers. In these text, I do not always review or double check my grammer and such.

@Gwendolyn2018 Enlarge print on my phone only goes so far. Amblyopia occurs in early childhood. When nerve pathways between the brain and an eye aren't properly stimulated, the brain favors the other eye. Lazy eye causes eye strain when trying to focus to read. At first or even early in mornings when rested, I can read better. If reading long passages or late in day my strain and loosing focus has been frustrating for over 40 years of my life so I have less patience to stop, close eyes, loose concentration, forget train of thought, then try to get back into context.

As to logic, please feel free to specifically point out anything, in a logical manner, that does not appear correct to you.

@Gwendolyn2018 I don't specifically recall what your points were. Just because you do not like my comments or you do not have knowledge to fully understand them does not mean they are not logical.

@Gwendolyn2018 I was not making an assumption but statement of a possibility.

@Gwendolyn2018 ok, good day

Imo. it seems as though the Faithfools live by a rule that states " Don't do as we do, just DO as we tell you."
thus it gives THEM the right to carry on like cut snakes simply BECAUSE they THINK they have the Omnipotent god and Jeebus Chrust on THEIR side and their side only.

Well, I wonder how many of the so called chirstians don't go shopping on a Sunday or go to a bank and start screaming about how immoral the banks are.

I think it's a bit tenuous to blame the First World War on Christianity.

Instead let's blame it on stupidity. If we are not careful between now and January 20th another such stupid thing could happen.

i was trying to make the point that a reflexive emotional is often inappropriate It caused the emperor to murder thousands of innocent people when Archduke Ferdinand was murdered.

Jesus being mortal did nothing but express the nature of man. Is violence not a way of life?

Perhaps, BUT we can also over-come and defeat those urges as well, can we not?
Where the Holey Babble, in the O.T. preaches and teaches that violence, Rape, Pillaging and warfare are somewhat blessed and expected by their god.

It's a profound question. Is a baby naturally violent of is he/she influenced by the process of socialization. Violence doesn't make sense, that's for sure.

@Triphid That's when I'd say that we're actually becoming human.

@Triphid, @Aristippus Babies are violent. Unknowingly. They have to be taught the value of violence and it's reinforced in society.

@IAJO163 Hey, FYI, as a Mid-wife I have helped deliver 165 babies, had 3 children of my own and NEVER once have I either seen an ACTUAL baby arrive from the womb swinging its fist around intent on punching someone out or carrying a weapon.
Occasionally toddlers will get into a bit of a squabble over a toy or something BUT never have I seen or heard of a BABY being violent, usually the violence comes from the parent/s and is DIRECTED at the baby.

@Triphid Let's not overthink this. You've never been close to a baby and they reach out and scratch you with those very sharp nails they have? Unknowingly they harm. By saying something like ouch or expressing some visual thing that they can attach to is what teaches them value.

@IAJO163 Oh come on, those things like scratching are 99.999999999999% accidental.
Shit, I've probably held, bathed, fed and changed nappies on, etc, more babies, toddlers and young children than you've had hot dinners.
Besides being a Mid-wife, I've worked in Paediatric Wards in numerous hospitals with anything up to 20+ paediatric patients at a time ranging from a few weeks old right through to their early teens and as I said before I raised my daughter from 1 week old just about single-handedly as well.
How many babies/children have you had and raised, cared for, etc, etc?

@Triphid Quite a few actually. But to clarify my point it seems you missed the word "Unknowingly?" That you just explained to me and referred to it as "accidentally".

@IAJO163 So what you are possibly trying say is that babies are UNKNOWINGLY violent in nature because they can scratch you with "those sharp little nails they have," correct?
Then, given that premise should we not,
a) ask genetic researchers to develop a method by whic we can ensure that ALL babies are born without nails,
b) or perhaps enact laws that ALL babies MUST have their nailbeds cauterized at the moment of birth to prevent future "unknowing" violence towards others,
c) pass similar laws that ALL pets MUST have their claws removed permanently, young puppies, kittens and the like especially since they too scratch 'unknowingly' and cause violence as well?
You stated "quite a few" in your reply, may I ask what a few may mean since I'd roughly estimate that including the 165 babies I have helped to deliver is a little less than a mere drop in the ocean in comparison to the literally hundreds, if not thousands that I have cared for just in my years as a nurse in hospitals.
Oh and btw, MOST parents do actually trim the finger and toe nails of their babies and children from time to time.

@Triphid You are way overthinking this. I didn't mean for it to get overblown.

@IAJO163 "Overthinking," IMO, you are over-stating to the max.

@Triphid IYO.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:554909
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.