Agnostic.com

8 14

LINK Christians Bullied Shop Owner to Stay Closed on Sundays, But the Plan Backfired | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Earlier this month, Leona Rawlinson, the owner of a shop called Tweed Tastic on the Isle of Lewis (off the western coast of Scotland), received a strange package in the mail. It was a Bible along with a letter from Dan MacPhail, secretary of the Day One/Lord’s Day Observance Society.

He had a problem with the fact that Rawlinson, unlike other business owners on the island, kept her shop open on a Sunday (something she began doing this past summer due to increased demand). Good Christians didn’t work on the Sabbath, dammit, and maybe a Bible would steer Rawlinson in the right direction.

snytiger6 9 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

She's persecuting him! At least, she would be if they were in the USA.

If you live there and have your washing out on the line on a Saturday evening you will receive a phone call from a church member reminding you to take it in.
There was an amusing comment in the remake of the film Whiskey Galore starring Eddie Izzard. He played the English army officer chasing the contraband whisky. The smugglers couldn't go and rescue the whisky on the sabbath but Eddie's posh English wife had her washing blowing in the breeze. I'm sure this was shown deliberately to annoy the local church members

Back in the 70s they use to lock up the children's swings on Sundays in parts of Scotland. I thought they might have moved on by now.

Bullies are everywhere.

Secur Level 5 Nov 22, 2020

Obviously the christian poison is everywhere. It seems there is an antidote and it makes the patient even better off than they were before.

LOL! Isaac Asimov: “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”.

Poor widdle Christians, haven't yet realized that,

1. their exalted beliefs are at total odds with the calendar they live by,. i.e. the week STARTS on Sunday and ENDS on SATURDAY, which means the Sabbath ( meaning SEVENTH Day) is NOT on a Sunday,
  2. Their Great Sky Daddy DID NOT specify in his Commandments WHICH day was to be the Sabbath, MERELY stated to "Keep the Sabbath Holy,"
  3. There ARE NO week days that share their names with ANY Christian beliefs or God, and last but by no means least,
  4. there ARE no days named Sunday ending ANY consecutive weeks.
    So, UNLESS Sky Daddy deigns to ACTUALLY specify WHICH day IS the Sabbath then, logically speaking, NO week day can legitimately be claimed to be the sabbath.

According to Judeo-Christian tradition, Moses recieved the Commandments from God on Mt. Sinai, the 4th of which pretty much 'laid down the law' on what day of the week was to be observed as the sabbath.
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy ... the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God..."

Early Christians, most of whom were Jewish, continued to keep the 7th day as sabbath, and it wasn't until the 4th century that Emperor Constantine, in a political act designed to appeal to pagans, unsupported by scripture, declared Sunday to be the official day of Christian worship.

I make this point not because it matters to me today, but because I am amused any time I hear a Christian claim that one who works or keeps their business open on what was originally pagan Rome's day of worship is violating the sabbath, when there's simply no biblical backing for this position. But then, that never stopped Christians from making all the other shit up either!

@p-nullifidian Actually, IF you can read Aramaic in which the ORIGINAL O.T. and Torah were written, it states that "on the tablets of stone, the finger of God inscribed ONLY the words Thou shalt keep the Sabbath Holy," ( quick translation from Aramaic to English btw).
Now I can't quite remember what the Hebrew/Jewish word for Sunday is I'm pretty darned sure it is NOT Sabbath.

@Triphid True, I cannot read a word of Aramaic, but I was taught that the Torah was written in ancient Hebrew which was later translated into Greek. In any case, if that's all the finger of God wrote, then either the tablets were too small, or Moses embellished! 😉

@p-nullifidian Originally the more common language used around that region was Aramaic from which both Hebrew and Arabic evolved later.
The Diplomatic/Political language used at those times and before the Roman Empire came along Babylonia and documents were either written Cuneiform, Egyptian Hieroglyphs or a combination of both.
Historically, the 13 Tribes of Nomadic Hebrews, (plus there were also 12 Tribes of what was become Palestine ) had NO written script until approx. between 1,200 and 980 B.C.E. ( B.C. for those who still adhere to outdated Christian method of time dating.)

@Triphid You clearly are more knowledgable than I in this space, but it was my understanding that, prior to the rise of Rome, Greek language and culture dominated the region, and that the first translation of the Hebrew Bible was from ancient Hebrew into Greek, later referred to as the Septuagint.

@p-nullifidian I think you'll find that 'Greek Dominance' of the Mediterranean region only arose, somewhat, post the Philip- Alexander the Great era and the Ptolemaic Dynasties in Egypt in particular.
Ancient Roman Influences only really began to take effect around 450-400 B.C.E., and before that there were Phoenicians, the Carthaginians.
Egypt mainly concentrated on Egypt, the Sinai Peninsula and the lands from Egypt to the border at Kadesh, Greece did a few 'colonies' around the region pre the Conquests of Philip and Alexander, a few on the Italian lands, 2 on Sicily, 2 on Sardinia, Crete and a few other Mediterranean Islands plus of course the few on what was the coast of the Persian Empire at the time.
But, until then Aramaic WAS the recognized common language amongst the peoples inhabiting the lands of Palestine, Jordan, Syria, etc, and Babylonia was still the Diplomatic language used pre the Greek-Alexander Conquests of that region.

She can say that "God truly works in mysterious ways, with all this extra money coming in".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:554991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.