Agnostic.com

20 1

Have you ever felt guilty about how you treated someone.

What did you do and did you ever try and make it right?

paul1967 8 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sure, but I didn't dwell on it.

When I first came to Thailand, my rude, brusque American mannerisms clashed with the polite Thai culture, and I gradually learned to moderate some of them.

Of course. life is a learning curve.

No, not guilty but kind of ashamed about my reaction. The fact the other person deserved to be put on her place doesn't justify my choice of words.

Yea , I use to get around by going to confession . Now I look back and wish I had apologie to the people I wrong . That would have made me a better person

Shep Level 4 Apr 11, 2018

Sure, I have been short sighted, rude, judged, or misjudged others. When I realized my error and it was possible, I have gone back to that person and apologized to that person and explained to them why I was apologizing. In most cases, apology was accepted. On a number of occasions, the person I was apologizing to didn’t remember the event. It apparently it meant more to me then to them.

Yes, but I've owned it and let it go. This man hates me, ten years later. I've already done what I could to make amends, and now it's his problem and not mine.

Lani Level 5 Apr 11, 2018

Yes!

Yes

I think we all have and some of us have a more ingrained sense of guilt than others. Of course I have felt ashamed at how I have treated another. If I didn't I wouldn't be human.

However, my former wife has taken that sense of guilt to another level. She once told a friend and I that she knows she is weak (she is Bi-polar) and hurts other people. But 'God' made her that way and understands and forgives her so it is alright.

...I would say we hope so!

Unfortunately more than once, but I'm a believer in "what happens happens." The occurrence that sticks with me the most is when I was in college and cheated on my girlfriend who was an extremely nice girl. She ditched me, rightfully so, and moved on. I saw her at a high school reunion, talked, and now she's a good friend, although we live in different parts of the country. Then was then; now is now.

Yes. I couldnt make it right with the people I hurt for various reasons but the guilt keeps from doing it again.

Geeze paul... I'm full of remorse. Life can be rough on people. Young stupid people trying to be grown adults. The guys and gals I ran with... hmmm.. you just can't believe how crazy people can be.

Does this include how we treated ourselves?

Yes. Although sometimes I wonder if the guilt is necessary. I do that a lot. Feel immediately guilty, then question it.

Yeah, I'm feeling guilty af right now about how I treated someone once when I was 13. I need to look him up and make it right. THANKS for reminding me that I'm a terrible person, lol.

13? If I go that far back ... There aren't enough days left, don't think.

In my late childhood/early teens I was resentful towards and mean to my younger severely daiabled sister. Poor kid had it 100 s of times worse than anoyone I know. I was pissed how hard my life was.
I feel so ashamed now 50 years later.

I get mouthy when I drink sometimes depending upon with whom I'm drinking and can say not only mean things but things I'd never say while sober so I've issued apologies when I know I've said some hurtful things to people I like.

SamL Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Of course! You aren't human if you haven't recognized how your actions or inactions have affected others.

Well you could be a human sociopath

@Rudy1962 Only humans can be sociopaths.

@LucifersPen should have read "they" and not "you. Wasn't trying to insinuate you you are a sociopath. And yes sociopaths are humans who don't recognize or worry about how their actions affect others

Feel extremely guilty I had fight with my 90 year old father and mother one week before he died. Went to funeral and saw a stranger-it was awful.

Yes, if it was bad...but, then you must try and make amends and forgive yourself and move on!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.