Agnostic.com

12 10

LINK Egyptian Researcher: People Become Atheists Because Holy Books Have Obvious Lies | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

During an interview last week on Egypt’s Al-Hadath Al-Youm TV, researcher Ahmad Abdou Maher made a remark that’s both obvious and rather surprising. He said that young people are becoming atheists in part because religious texts include obvious scientific lies.

snytiger6 9 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Following a philosophy based on fear and guilt did not seem right. Especially when there is nothing out there.

I became atheist because I just wasn’t interested in religion to begin with, even when I went to church. I just came to realize it’s all nonsense.

Well, this was my reason for rejecting the belief that the bible is a holy book, inspired by a god. Realizing this only made me stop believing in the god described in its pages. It was in learning more science that I stopped believing in any kind of god.

That's gonna get a big, No Duh, from me.
LMFAO!

In my case, I became atheist due to observing religion's destructive effect on the well-being of Humanity The paradoxes in the "holy books" merely reinforced my atheism.

I would say he is exactly correct. In my earlier daze we did not know this and if a question came up we would ask the preacher about it on Sunday.

No shit, Sherlock!

Just younger people are not believing the crap religion is selling them.

And now, he has to have a bodyguard most likely. Anyone else remember The Satanic Verses?
He is speaking common sense logic - something that doesn't fit well over here with evangelicals or over there with a number of extremists.

They are not lies but primitive beliefs which have mostly been disproved

Some are lies - or, maybe just stolen dogma and expanded story telling (old testament holds a lot of stories that were told first in Gilgamesh and Zoroastrian mythology).

@Beowulfsfriend Certainly many of the myths in the old testament were taken from previous mythology but that doesn't make them lies.

and pps, the Bible does not claim to be holy either, not anywhere; "sacred" is as close as it gets, which i dunno but seems to mean more like "holy to the one holding it sacred" or whatever

Every bible has "Holy Bible" stamped on the cover, mostly in gold.

@jlynn37 ah well English xlations of the Bible are mostly crap imo, use a Lex at the very least; "Lord" is an Englyshe Landholder?

ha well when someone wise in their own eyes goes looking for facts, certainly they will be confronted with lies, yes. But fwiw you might contemplate the possibility that those obvious lies are telling another story, not meant to be read literally. there are even explanatory passages in the Bible for this, let the youth ignore them if they like; they run along the lines of "you can't tell ppl with dunning-kruger syndrome anything anyway, so you may as well provide fuel for their ersatz fire." ps i am not religious fwiw

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:555503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.