Agnostic.com

12 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find their concept of “compulsory love” quite repugnant.

Mvtt Level 7 Nov 26, 2020

It’s odd because agnostics/atheists tend to be individualistic.
I’m not convinced this is a trait unique to agnostics/ atheists. In fact, it is true of virtually any cult/religion out there. For groups, it is about building numbers, for some it’s about gaining confirmation that their beliefs are “right”

I don't like it when theist try to force religion on anyone. I don't force atheism on people.

The people who hurt me the most were my parents in their own misguided way. They meant well but later in life I felt like "Marjoe" except that he had religion forced upon him from a very early age. My folks did not use me for money but they pushed the ministry upon me. They were the god that called me to preach. Oh, well. What else do you do when you have no money to send your kid to college?

The headline is what I felt when I was 'forced' to go to Sunday school and church as a kid. Mom would drop us off at the door and come back later to pick us up. This may have been so the parents could have adult time without us kids around. I think it probably irritated the some church members that our parents were not showing up. Methodists can be SO judgmental. Dad was ex-Catholic and as I later came to find out Atheist, which later morphed into more agnostic. As the youngest in a very Catholic family he was suppose to be a priest but that, clearly, did not work out. He did enjoy reading and studying the Bible, as he said, "Lots of good stories in it." He could also spot hypocrisy a mile away. I digress, I never felt welcome and my bullshit-o-meter was constantly going off so at 12 I just said, "Not, going." and mom said, "It's good for you." I said, "If it's so good for us why do you just drop us off at the door?" and just like that I was free. My twin did the confirmation thing, not quite the show the Catholics put on but I guess the Methodists have some ritual, and she is still doing the Christian thing. We all each find our own way and what works for us. I just think a lot of people need to stop judging or trying to force others to their way of believing.

Welcome to the double-think of the God Mob.

meh ... don't get too gaga over them. ask them to offer up an epistemological alternative for the hard problem with consciousness and they all become just as close-minded as any religious fanatic. atheists and agnostics both are far too rigid in their thinking.

Close-mindedness is a personal trait. Not sure you can associate it to any specific group. I think the only real commonality in the group is understanding that we don’t know the answers, and prefer not to make shit up...

@Canndue and yet without hypothesizing we wouldnt have the brilliant work of Faraday, Einstein, Hawking and others. Agnostics and atheists forget the boundaries of our knowledge and turn it into dogma that prevents them from expanding. It's a dynamic universe and expecting to measure it all by static testing is ludicrous.

@JeffMesser yes the scientific method is a better way to get at answers. I do not agree with your second sentence at all. Spending your life seeking answers that you have a minuscule chance of ever discovering is just an act of futility.

@Canndue you have to think outside the box to solve things that current epistemology cannot measure. again - the hard problem with consciousness and agnostics dogma preventing them from looking at other ways to see the seer. I don't agree with your last sentence at all. Had Einstein felt that way then the Manhattan project would have never got oft the ground. you cannot measure a dynamic universe with strictly static methods. it's just a fact.

@JeffMesser I always think outside the box. Einstein had an excellent chance of discovery. From a pragmatic view point , it would take a lifetime for the average person to get Einstein’s level of intellect (if ever) then begin on discovery. And that is only a building block. I’m glad that there are people dedicated to that discovery. If you are obsessed with searching for the answer, go for it. I applaud you all the way.

To the very best of my knowledge , Atheism has no book of rules , and isn't studied , per se ' . We each need to decide for ourselves what the right rules to follow are . As it isn't written down , we need to think for ourselves . We may , therefore , arrive at very different answers as to what is right and what is wrong . Being , " outcasts ," from the majority of religious groups , we are , hopefully , less judgemental of others ,

The haven’t given you a copy of the Agnostic Tome yet? We’ll send you one. Remember, you must genuflect before opening it....

Studies have shown and have proven the fact that non believers are more compassionate and generous. [nydailynews.com]

I believe this. I feel like I have become more compassionate and caring AFTER I left the church. I feel like I’m more sincere now instead of putting on an act to please god

Curious, are you aware of any meta analysis? Seems like one can find a study the confirms anything if willing to look for it.

@Canndue post the one that says what you claim.

Ha! Apparently it works that way in the Bible too lol, the Good Samaritan, the Roman Centurion, etc

The Samaritans were despised by the good people of israel.

@HumanistJohn yes, but he was the guy that Jesus used as an example of doing the right thing, being living and caring: The parable of the good Samaritan.

Jesus wasn’t your typical man of the time...if he existed.

There are very bad people who call themselves Christians but they are not very "Christian". I know good people of faith, so I don't generalize. I don't begrudge people their beliefs provided they don't preach to me.

Likewise same here.

I feel that way towards the religious in a humanist approach. I am anti religion as I feel it does more harm than good. However, not everything about religion is bad. The do have some pretty cool buildings, and rock some amazing robes and costumes....

@Canndue To each their own, live and let live. I don't believe in anything supernatural. If people need that to keep them going that's on them. I don't delude myself.

Funny how that works. I would think that nonbelievers tend to be more sincere when they embrace you, because they don't have to, they aren't commanded to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:555648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.