Agnostic.com

55 9

Have you ever met anybody who actually believed the Earth was 6,000 years old?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, real religious "true believers" who totally sold their being to religious dogma.

Worked with two of them!

BillF Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Yes and I found out because they subscribe to “Creation” magazine ?

Tink Level 3 Apr 11, 2018

Sorry... no one around me have these concerns. They're just common folk. They don't even know im agnostic... it's a need to know.

Many of my family down south believe that. Evolution is an invention of the devil, god has a plan , etc etc. nothing will convince them otherwise.

Ohub Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Unfortunatly yes...

I'm sad to say yes, every damn day! Twice on Sunday. In North Carolina it is impossible not to meet an Evangelical or Fundamentalist Protestant almost every day, and most of them believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible, which is where the 6,000 years dreck comes in.

They infest Utube like a virus

Yes
I live in kentucky!

Absolutely. Me and my entire family. Of course, I grew out of that delusion faster than the rest of my family.

Every member of my family is a Southern Baptist, and all of them voted for Trump as well. All Baptists, many Pentecostal churches, and a few Wesleyan groups believe in literal bible interpretation (aka 6,000 year old earth.) "Community" churches are often literal bibliists as well. They may not advertise it, but such churches are EVERYWHERE in the U.S.

I would find ways to fit the bible into science. I would say things like " well god is so great and infinite that when he says he built earth in a week it actually means billions of years because for him our lifetimes are mere seconds". I was so full of it lol

I've got family that do.

Yes. Unfortunately, my family and I (before I grew out of religion). Like @dianahdz88 mentions, because I loved Science, I tried to fit Science into the Bible and vice-versa, going to great lengths to do the limbo with excuses. For example, I used the "With the Lord, a day is like a 1000 years and a 1000 years are like a day" (2 Peter 3 v8 ) - a verse that essentially makes no sense, to try to reason that "lots of my time = tiny amount of god time", therefore the earth could be much older. As I grew older, I just couldn't reconcile science with religion.

yes... he thinks dinasaur bones were put there by man recently

My brother is a Nazarene

I have met a few. They were all Seventh-day Adventist.

Yes, many.
too many.It is the kids at high school now, so 15 year olds taht scare me. OK< Jo hos usually, but many kids at strict Christian schools are still taught from the bible. That is why the Government should withdraw all funding from religious schools.

yes. my mom does. sadly

Live in the South of the US. They are all over the place.

I grew up among those people.

My mother.

I live in East Tennessee. Most of the people I know, believe that shit. It makes me crazy to think about it. I can't believe with the resources we have today, that people choose to be so ignorant.

Yep, there are lots of them. A Gallup poll last year found that 38% of Americans believe God created man in his present form. I doubt that very many of these 38% have thought much on the subject or even know of Ussher but plenty of Bible thumpers do. Only 19% believe man evolved without direction from God's hand. It is frightening how many of our fellow Americans who vote believe in ghosts, angels, unicorns (no, not that kind) UFOS and all sorts of crap. [news.gallup.com]

Yes, many.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55596
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.