Agnostic.com

13 22

50-year-old Christmas Cactus, my longest relationship.

At seventeen, I started this Christmas Cactus from two cuttings in Michigan. The parents of my boyfriend had a large Christmas Cactus that I admired. She helped me take cuttings.

A "Thanksgiving type" Christmas cactus, it blooms from November to April.

When she was little, Claire and I lay on our backs underneath it looking up. "The flowers look like butterflies!" Claire said delightedly.

"Christmas cactus are epiphytes that grow in the crotches of trees in the South American rain forest," Pamela, a Ph.D. botanist, explained. She uses a bullwhip to remove epiphytes from trees in the rain forest.

"During the month of October, deprive the Christmas cactus of water and extra light after dark," Pamela said. "The plant thinks it's dying. It throws out flower to produce seeds to propagate the species."

So, I decamp to read in a bedroom instead of the living room where this huge plant resides.

In early November I began watering it again, lightly at first. It has over a hundred flower buds. (I gave up counting.) Two weeks later, I fertilized it with half-strength Miracle Grow to plump up the flower buds.

Flowers in winter are beautiful and uplifting.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NICE!
I love gardening, have done so since the '70's, both indoor, and out.
I had to give up some "old friends" when I moved, after retirement.

Here's a photo I took today, 12/2/2020.

There are flowers on all sides of the plant. WOW!

@BudFrank, @Triphid, @RoyMillar, @Robert_2001, @HankSherman, @HippieChick, @SpongeBub, @Dhiltong, @LucyLooHoo, @DenoPenno

Plants die if they get dried out in the center. To prevent this, I put ice cubes on top of the soil. The ice slowly melts, trickling down into the center of the plant.

Seven years ago, the Christmas Cactus looked like it was dying. I lifted the pot from the stand and staggered into the bathroom. Set it in the tub. I filled the tub with lukewarm water over the pot rim. The plant bubbled furiously. After soaking for two hours, the bubbling stopped. Then drained it thoroughly (keeping dirt from clogging the drain).

The hardest part was lifting the heavy, wet pot out of the tub! Staggered to the living room and with difficulty, lifted it onto the stand. Of course this hurt my back.

My back survived. The plant thrived.

You obliviously don't feel comfortable asking for help...can't believe there would'nt be many around that would offer.

@HankSherman

I am comfortable asking for help. Nobody was home.

@LiterateHiker I understand. Just not patient.

Nice! I have a brown thumb so I couldn’t do that well. You’ve done a great job!

So, that is what a Xmas Cactus looks like?
And 5 years ago my Evangelist neighbour tore one out by the roots, about 3' high and 2' across because he claimed it was a "Heathen symbol."

You can't cure stupid!

It is huge, so Happy you have developed a relationship with it, that means a lot for there longevity as they know they are loved and cared for and give back there beauty to you

It is a beautiful cactus, but is is amazing you kept it for 50 years.

Evidently you have given much love and attention to this relationship. Beautiful.

Love the colors. I used to have Christmas cactus, my current house is not a great place for plants, and my housemates are death on plants. (damn cats) One day maybe I will try Christmas Cactus again.

It's beautiful 😊

Very cool....

Mine's just put out buds! Wonderful that you've been a ''good parent'' to your plant for FIFTY YEARS!

Without the picture I would not even have known what this is.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:556528
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.