Agnostic.com

89 14

What happens after death?

So I don’t believe in heaven or hell, but I’m not sure what happens after death. My sweet and amazing dog just passed away and it’s really got me thinking about what could be happening. I’ve come to the conclusion that we are all just chemical signals and once we’ve died that they just stop and we aren’t anything. What are your thoughts??

nadiamarie 5 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your dog is evolving to a higher level of condciousness. When its ready it will take another form. We all live many lives. This is something I saw personally. The key to help you understand this is to listen to the consistancy in the testimonies of NDE. There are common themes that run through these. I knew they were real because it happened to me before ever heard of this. We’ve all had the similar experience of dejavu.

I'm sorry about the loss of your pup.

I assume that when I die, it'll be just like it was for me back in 1928.

Probably from the dead persons/creatures perspective, absolutely nothing, the rest of the world of course keeps going about its business.

Kimba Level 7 Apr 12, 2018

I like the way you put it, we are chemical signals.... Well, to your point, I feel like we die every day when we go to sleep and don't know anything until we regain consciousness.... The big one will not have a wake up the next day, that's all there is

I agree with you. We are the sum of biological processes that when disrupted or ended, so are we.

I think there's a general fear of death in that we have trouble accepting the concept of complete cessation, that there is no more than simply ceasing to be. We are like any other animal but for higher thought processes, which arguably make us the most dangerous creatures on the planet, yet unlike any other we seek for more, a grand design , a purpose, a continuance of existence beyond the biological. Personally I believe that just as we are conceived by natural means so do we end, our only continuance being in the nourishment of new life in the form of flora. I have yet to find a plausible rationale by which my consciousness, my self, could manage to proceed beyond the end of the natural process that is my life.

Sad for the loss of your dog. I hope he/she had a long happy life.
Life is all there is, it starts, it ends.

We do like Beethoven & decompose

Lots of things happen after death. They just don't include you.

Many say "nothing." I disagree.

If nature is allowed to take its course, we return to the earth and provide nourishment for other life that may spring forth. Also, we live on in the memories of the lives we have changed because we came in contact with them. Eternal life? Maybe not as such the way theists describe it, but certainly, when our life ends, we still have an impact on others, ranging from single cell organisms to complex beings.

Nothing. Same as what it was like before you were born. I try not to think about it.

You start a new life... Or, sometimes, if you are like me, you are reborn and get relive your shitty life all over again...

I think, whatever it is that gives us life, the spark of life if you will, ignites when we are born and is extinguished when we die. Just like the spark from a fire.
That being said, I'd like to believe that maybe that spark isn't extinguished, but instead leaves our galaxy, or at least our solar system, and ignites a new form on some planet far away.

KDzo Level 4 Apr 12, 2018

Lights out my friend

Everything, even animals, are ultimately made of energy and can't be created or destroyed.

Studies done with children ages 2-6 years old worldwide who remember past lives often reveal that children remember being reincarnated as animals, and are able to relate enough details for researchers to verify the accuracy of their memories.

Hugs about your dog. I miss my dogs a lot. But everything we were just becomes part of the earth again. So our remains do go on in a way.

I've come to the same conclusion. We are meet hardware running meets software. I'm afraid that's not much of a consolation for someone who's lost a loved one. But I hope in everyday life it reminds us of how valuable and special each one of us is and that we should appreciate it while we still have the chance.

There is no more an "after death" than there is a page after the end of a book.

Noclue-live for today and don't sweat the details. 3 close calls in 8 years dying from car accident, leukemia and heart failure.

What happened before your birth? Do u remember? Do u feel like you are reborn like some Hindu believes? Do u care about what happened before your birth? Can u care? So, why do u care about what will happen after ur death? U r alive now and u should just enjoy that. Why thinking about what you can never know. There can be a general consciousness, there can be spiritual, but u can not know it now.

I agree with him about one thing:

"What happens after you die?" "Lot's of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you"
Louis C.K.

JimG Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

Your right. we turn into another energy via the earth we are buried in.

dono... i have it in my will that i am to be late to my funeral.

Your got it right - the short answer is nothing happens after we die in terms of consciousness or self awareness - but plenty happens to the body we once occupied. That being said, from afar I recently heard an interesting conversation between two people where one was saying that it is not our body that provides fuel to the consciouness but that the consciouness fuels the body. I haven't a clue what it means but it sounded interesting.

Your energy is released back into the world and reforms as another life be it plant or animal. Not reincarnation - simple physics.

Reminds me of my 8th grade science teacher, who told us the little specks on a blank TV station are the leftovers that were never made into anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.