Agnostic.com

89 14

What happens after death?

So I don’t believe in heaven or hell, but I’m not sure what happens after death. My sweet and amazing dog just passed away and it’s really got me thinking about what could be happening. I’ve come to the conclusion that we are all just chemical signals and once we’ve died that they just stop and we aren’t anything. What are your thoughts??

nadiamarie 5 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments (76 - 89)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The almighty ego wants to live forever. But once you are past your ego, so what? You won't be around to mourn the loss of your ego.

I know what happens.....but it really bums me.out when I think about it happening to dogs so I tell myself they go to the happy hunting grounds with endless smells and slow squirrels even though it's completely irrational...just like I tell.myself my Chevy spark wins all the drag races at red lights even though the other cars don't know they're in a race and I don't go over the speed limit... sometimes sugar coating things just makes the day better even if deep down i know whats really going on

Like a lot of Atheist, I believe that it just ends. It is a sad thought and really makes me ask what's the point.

I try not to dwell on it, and just enjoy life as much as I can.

I definitly cherrish experiances much more than things since I "converted". Or would that be de-converted? I no longer sit around and wait for the "promissed heaven" and look for little slices of heaven here.

So far it is working out pretty good for me...

To me? Or to everybody else?

Sorry. That was a smart-ass answer. The answer is nothing, except chemically.

Nothing.

That's my "go to" snark.

But I like to speculate too... I like to think that consciousness has a layered structure. The molecular communities of your cells conspiring to be a "cell".... The cells of the body conspiring to create the "body", the bodies conspiring to create "society". Every seven years or thereabouts you have replaced all of your cells... yet "you" persist despite these trillions of deaths and births. Perhaps there is a layer of awareness that becomes more evident when the aspects associated with this scale are stripped away (like, everything you think of as your "self" )... there all along underneath it all, adhering to the same principals that generate our human sized awareness, but at a grander scale. How often do you shed a tear for a flake of dandruff?

It's the greatest unknown, isn't it? I don't believe in cosmic justice or any such stuff. Which dials up the significance of doing the right thing to people while you are alive.

I will say, though, that I loved the film A Ghost Story - seriously, dude, it made me cry:

@GizmoAmbivert 🙂

I'm pretty sure it's whatever it was like before you were born. Which is nothing.

But, by that rationale, a child born tomorrow will have no regard for you or me.

And, possibly, that is how it should be...

U cease to exist. The way it was before u were born.

U cease to exist. The way it was before u were born.

Nothing after death. Believe in the heart and the feelings of love and memories live on in those who remain.. part of community.

It’s the end. Game over! We rot. I really sorry about your dog though.

Go through the pockets and check for change is my thought, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking.

Here’s the rub. I can think the sun is green. It’s not though, so what I think is irrelevant unless it’s true.

I can’t prove an afterlife, so I don’t bother thinking about it. No point.

After death, there is nothing. Just like there is nothing before birth.
Sorry about your dog.

They cart you off to the crematorium.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.