Agnostic.com

17 2

Morals Without Religion? How?

Now let’s be real here - if you are totally agnostic/atheist, you do actually adopt Abrahamic morals by DEFAULT! Ex: you don’t show your genitalia in public right?!?! You gonna tell me you would walk into public view naked? No
>> so, I am not afraid of those default morals because I’m Pagan and paganism has no moral code on nudity whatsoever. I’m not default, I have a RELIGION/Morality..
** That’s why we need to REPLACE the feeble old shit book and replace it with something RELEVANT to modern times
##check my bio. I would love someone to explain to me how we would control the actions and morality of these talking monkeys with absolutely no moral law. Those mo fo s would be running around robbing and rapping without a religion!

SocialDarwin 5 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Morality is just applied mathematics. In a single-participant system, there is no role for morality as the only sentient being involved can only harm himself, so all his decisions about what to do and what not to do are based on harm-benefit analysis. In a multiple-participant system, morality comes into play, but we can reduce any multiple-participant system to a single-participant system by the simple trick of treating all the participants as if they are a single participant who travels repeatedly back in time to live all the lives of the participants in turn, at which point all the decisions can be made through harm-benefit analyses. This accounts for the entirety of morality, so you can shove the Bibble where the sun don't shine.

Do I go around naked? No - I don't like the sight of people's bits, but I have no objection to other people not covering theirs if that's their preferred way of living their lives, just as I don't campaign for all dogs and horses to have pants put on them. My preference for wearing cloths may be cultural and was likely influenced by Bibblemongers, but there are all sorts of things that influence us where the original source of a way of behaving is irrelevant to us, just as Christians don't care that their Christmas is a pagan festival that had nothing to do with Jesus.

You have all failed to get the point. You DO follow biblical law by DEFAULT. Nobody has effectively countered that. And I heard we have LAWS? Those are biblical laws. All officials put their hand on the Bible to swear in. Now other than MURDER - an alien would see through an alien view that we WALK the BIBLICAL WALK even when we say we are agnostic!!
From nudity to sexual age of consent - all based entirely on Semetic law. Why is POLYAMORY wrong?! Why just one partner? Law enforces this moral. It doesn’t HURT anyone (unless you give them a disease which is preventable with tests) to have sex with multiple people (unless you were TAUGHT it’s bad)

A lot of laws are still shaped by religious bigots, but when it comes to marriage, that's been framed as a Christian thing, which gave them an excuse to ban people from having different kinds of marriage where two men or two women get married. We're gradually fixing that as Christianity declines and its bigots lose power. The next step is for multiple-partner marriages to be legalised, but for those who can't wait for that, there's nothing stopping them all shacking up together and just getting on with it while declaring themselves married in whatever way they like.

If anyone requires me to swear on a Bible for any purpose, I will happily say, "I swear on this book of holy fairy tales written by the Creator of Hell that..." I'm not pandering to a religion by doing that.

There is a good non-religious basis for not having multiple partners though as it has always been seen as a disease risk, and when that increases the chance of children being born with vicious sexually-transmitted diseases that can be lethal, that's seriously immoral. Attributing this to religion is thus a mistake because it actually came into religion from bitter experience.

oh FFS, get a clue.

Not appearing nude in public is not a moral construct, it is a societal one.

As for morals not based on religion, again not doing anything you would find offensive if it were done to you is just pragmatism. It is not rocket science.

What a load of crap!

My morality does not come from a book or from any religion. I know right from wrong. Religion is a piss poor teacher of morality. The bible condones slavery and rape and there are numerous times that the christian god demands his followers murder people.

Here's a quote from Penn Jillette that sums it up pretty well: "The question I get asked by religious people all the time is, without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? And my answer is: I do rape all I want. And the amount I want is zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount I want is zero."

Nudity in and of itself is not immoral. Why are people at a nudist beach immoral? At worst it's impolite and unsanitary but unless a person is doing something sexual or otherwise lewd in public then nudity is not immoral. There are entire tribes of people who wear no clothing. It's just that the religious people have deemed nudity as evil and vulgar.

People in certain European countries have sex while in public, or in a bar or other places. Some Americans may find this appalling, but if one doesn’t like it or offended by it, Stay the fuck out of there.

Nobody adopts Abrahamic “morals” by default.

Mvtt Level 7 Nov 30, 2020

Treat others how you want to be treated. For those that can't do that we have laws and prison.

Yes, if you have no morals you will run around robbing and raping all the time. Apparently it is just because you do not know any better.

Human solidarity is the basis of morality.

Mvtt Level 7 Nov 30, 2020

Do look up "The Naked Rambler"

Indeed - a totally harmless man that everyone decent recognised as such, but he spent over six years in prison because of religious bigots. I'm in favour of people going around naked if it matters that much to them, even though I don't like the sight of people's bits, but we already cope fine with dogs going around with their bits on show and it doesn't cause any problem beyond being an ugly sight - you learn not to look if it offends you so much. Anyone who wants to know what immorality is in a case like this, it's imposing bigoted views on others to the point that you take a substantial chunk of someone's life away from them; in this case equating to something heading in the direction of 10% of a murder.

@David_Cooper He spent six years in prison not because he would walk naked but because of contempt of court, each time, nothing to do with religion. There are no laws against nudity in the UK. Only if someone objects to it while there are children around. His contempt came when the judge told him not to do it with people around and he would not listen.

That's the official line, but it's actually just religious bigotry. The law is a farce, and it's a farce because of religious bigots. He was causing no offence to anyone: they were causing it to themselves by applying their bigotry and then being pandered to by the courts. His position was principled: there is nothing wrong with nudity and there is nothing contemptuous about being naked in court or anywhere else. It is other people's bigotry that is the issue, 100%.

Well David, he is my ex brother in law. So It definitely was contempt of court in his case.

The Golden Rule which predates the bible and Abrahamic religions. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." It's really all the morals/ethics/laws you need.

Leelu Level 7 Nov 30, 2020

I don't think that would work for psychopaths.

@Jolanta That's why we have laws though, for those who don't think lie the rest of us.

I'm not a follower of any Abrahamic religion, but I do throw stones at my neighbours if I see them washing their car or mowing the lawn etc. on a Sunday because I wouldn't want anyone to think that I lack a moral code entirely

i feel it has evolved into morals with religion how? by and large most human agony for centuries has been related to religious belief. while on the other hand religion has done little to better mankind

Real morality has nothing to do with religion.

Nonsense. Most primitive people have some sort of covering An example is the penis gourd worn by men in Papua New Guinea which predates Christianity by thousands of years.
"Robbing and rapping". I'm not a fan of gangsta rap but I don't think many of them are robbers.

In religion, I was not taught ethics. I was only taught to listen and obey whatever the religious leaders told me to do. Now that I'm out of religion, I have learned to think and act ethically. I am more ethical as an atheist than I ever was as a theist. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557008
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.